Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 07:37 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,259 times

Advertisements

Do you need to be close to an airport? Do you want to use public schools? Do you want to be in a community that has lots of Black families?

If you want to be right in the middle of everything, Grapevine would be a good fit. Your budget is too low for Colleyville. Keller is further west and not as handy to everything but if work is 100 remote and you really like the idea of being immersed in suburbia, it could work for you. I would also throw in HEB (Hurst Euless Bedford) zoned to a higher rated Elementary like Bedford Heights as your housing dollar will go further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 08:04 PM

4 posts, read 4,302 times
Thanks all for the feedback and for the Keller correction @Turf!

I'm looking for a 5 bedroom (Masters bedroom, Home office, kids room, and a room for visitors) home with a great school and low crime rate neighborhood. I currently work in IT industry and I'll like a neighborhood that may also offer some proximity to a future tech opportunity (I know we can't predict the future, but I'm just putting it out there). This is not a must I can always sell and buy something else whenever I change jobs (doubt that may happen anytime soon with my current salary).

@Mastershakes - I looked up some houses in Richardson and I love what I'm seeing. The space, the trees and the old school looks vs new clean vibes of McKinney that my spouse wants, is making for a great trip end of the month. She loved Katy, Texas the last time we went to Houston for a wedding. Although the Katy neighborhood was beautiful and clean, homes in the area were not strikingly distinctive to me.

I'm really not crazy about a new house, I'm definitely open to older homes that I see value in - it's all finances and value to me.

Diversity - It would be nice if the neighborhood is diverse and not dominated by any specific group.

One concern I have coming from the north east is the fact that the homes are so close to each other...I'm having a hard time accepting that. I guess developers are trying to maximize space. I'm sure I'll get over it after a while.

While I am a semi-homebody, I like going out to enjoy and see what my neighborhood have to offer. So food options when we are eating out, kids friendly parks, whatever fun stuff Texans do.

I love water, hiking, snow and much more. But sadly I'll be giving that away with this move...maybe an aquatic center/pool will fill that void.

@DFW1 - Thanks for coming through again . I have read you post about Allen, you have convinced me about visiting Allen and I will when I visit month end

@4Moving east - I don't have to be be close to the airport. Definitely using public schools, I'm not wealthy enough for private school. I'll look up HEB & Grapevine thx!

Last edited by MeJayHova; 08-04-2020 at 08:23 PM..

Old 08-04-2020, 08:23 PM

427 posts, read 493,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeJayHova View Post
Thanks all for the feedback and for the Keller correction @Turf!

I'm looking for a 5 bedroom (Masters bedroom, Home office, kids room, and a room for visitors) home with a great school and low crime rate neighborhood. I currently work in IT industry and I'll like a neighborhood that may also offer some proximity to a future tech opportunity (I know we can't predict the future, but I'm just putting it out there). This is not a must I can always sell and buy something else whenever I change jobs (doubt that may happen anytime soon with my current salary).

@Mastershakes - I looked up some houses in Richardson and I love what I'm seeing. The space, the trees and the old school looks vs new clean vibes of McKinney that my spouse wants, is making for a great trip end of the month. She loved Katy, Texas the last time we went to Houston for a wedding. Although the Katy neighborhood was beautiful and clean, homes in the area were not strikingly distinctive to me.

I'm really not crazy about a new house, I'm definitely open to older homes that I see value in - it's all finances and value to me.

Diversity - It would be nice if the neighborhood is diverse and not dominated by any specific group.

One concern I have coming from the north east is the fact that the homes are so close to each other...I'm having a hard time accepting that. I guess developers are trying to maximize space. I'm sure I'll get over it after a while.

While I am a semi-homebody, I like going out to enjoy and see what my neighborhood have to offer. So food options when we are eating out, kids friendly parks, whatever fun stuff Texans do.

I love water, hiking, snow and much more. But sadly I'll be giving that away with this move...maybe an aquatic center/pool will fill that void.

@DFW1 - Thanks for coming through again . I have read you post about Allen, you single handedly coninced me about visiting Allen and I will when I visit month end
Sure - seeing is believing - do not go by my words or anyone else on this board. Gather all information, Visit ALL yourself, compare and decide yourself. I can suggest you to see what to compare and then it's up to you what you like, what your preferences are. Everyone will have unique needs, preferences and priorities. It's not one size fits all.

If you tour Allen, just look around the areas at 121/Exchange Parkway,121/Stacy Road areas. Specifically 75013.

Schools: Not sure if they are giving tour now because of COVID, but look at Elementary schools, Ereckson Middle school, STEAM center (newly opened, unique to Allen), Lowery Freshman Center (9th grade) Allen high school. Look at ratings, courses offered on Niche, Texas goverment sites, Greatschools, Childrenatrisk.org, texaschoolguide.org - and lots of other sites.

Parks & Recreational: Celebration Park, Allen Natatorium (water activities, gym), Ford Water park, Spirit Park, (a new park coming up on exchange parkway), walk & bike trails, Allen Event Center.

Shopping/dining: Village at Allen & Fairview, Watters Creek upscale shopping center, Allen outlet malls. Stonebriar Mall in Frisco, Legacy West in Plano, McKinney historic downtown are all around 15 minutes drive.

Some neighborhoods you may want to see: Twin Creeks, Star Creek, Fall Creek, Village at Twin Creeks, Cumberland crossing, Saddle ridge estates, Montgomery Farms area to name a few.

All of those may not look the same because of Covid but you can just get an idea by driving through.

Similarly tour all other places Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Richardson, Keller, Grapevine, Flower Mound, Coppell etc.(suburbs near Irving/DFW airport), and see which one you like the most!! Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 08-04-2020 at 08:33 PM..

Old 08-04-2020, 09:08 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,542,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Keller is a suburb of Fort Worth. I was born in Dallas and grew up there. This is the first time I've heard Keller called a Dallas suburb.
It is because Fort Worth is really just a Dallas suburb.

hahahahhaha ahhh.

(Fort Worth Heads exploding).

Old 08-04-2020, 09:17 PM

932 posts, read 543,187 times
If I was working 100% remotely, I would move East...prolly NC/SC/TN or Georgia.
Good weather with nice vacation spots and you can almost drive everywhere.

Old 08-04-2020, 09:34 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,555,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
If I was working 100% remotely, I would move East...prolly NC/SC/TN or Georgia.
Good weather with nice vacation spots and you can almost drive everywhere.
Lol, there is the right answer! (from someone who just moved from DFW to TN and is loving every minute of it)

But in DFW, I think you are on the right track with Grapevine/NE Tarrant. Maybe see if something like Argyle is to your taste? It's far out, but kinda neat and rapidly growing.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:03 PM

210 posts, read 275,583 times
Check this website video produced at Windsong Ranch about our 5 acre blue, crystal clear Lagoon with gorgeous sandy beaches, floating docks for diving and swimming, kayaking or just lounge on your own personal floats. Many more videos about Windsong Ranch/Lagoon are on YouTube. We were in the first group of residents to move into WSR in 2015, after having lived in Frisco, TX. for 11 years. That was the BEST decision we ever made together. Phenomenal smart planned growth, the new PGA HQ from Florida is under construction now with (2) 18 hole courses and (1) 9 hole course will open in 2022 with NTX trail access for WSR residents and so much more(600 acres with a new Omni Hotel). 10,000 new homes and Frisco's new city government center will be built there, adjacent to the the PGA HQ, the same developer who built the acclaimed Legacy West in Plano, TX. is the lead on this MEGA development known as the Fields Project, the biggest ever done by Frisco(2,100 acres).

Windsong Ranch in Prosper, TX. is one of the BEST national award winning master planned residential communities in NTX. Projected build out 3,200 homes, currently 1,000 homes have residents in this 2,200 acre development with 600 acres set aside for numerous walking trails and open green, treed spaces. Numerous employees along with their families from around the country and the world have chosen to make Windsong Ranch their new home. 100 Toyota employees live here now, along with several from Liberty Mutual Insurance, Boeing, Chase Bank and many more residents with professional licenses and upper corporate managerial credentials, as well as many retirees and a diverse community of residents. New retail development with several well known brand stores and a major grocer are open now, in Windsong Marketplace. Many residents ride their golf carts to the Marketplace. Explosive growth you have to see it to believe it. Dallas North Tollway under construction now will cross Hwy 380 shortly, highway concrete pier supports are being put up now.

The Town of Prosper, TX. "A place where everyone matters" is adjacent to and just north of Frisco, TX. with all it has to offer is just across Hwy 380 to the south. They say everything is BIGGER in Texas, well Windsong Ranch is much bigger and much better! "A cut above!"

Welcome to Texas Y'all!

https://windsongranchliving.com/amenities/lagoon/

https://windsongranchliving.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Up2Date380/posts/

https://www.facebook.com/prospertx.gov/

Last edited by Fiber Guy; 08-05-2020 at 12:04 AM..

Old 08-05-2020, 06:02 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,212,124 times
So far, I think that Grapevine and Richardson are the best choices listed so far. Excellent schools with older neighborhoods with character homes and mature trees. They also offer proximity to major tech hubs (Irving and Telecom Corridor) and excellent school districts. FYI, the school district boundaries don't follow city or county lines so you have to be careful. Most ISDs have a search engine on their website where you can plug in an address and find out which schools the house is zoned for. Don't rely on real estate listings. Check that first. Also, Google Maps and Waze aren't reliable indicators, especially now, of commute times. Commute in DFW can be brutal and the area is spread out. One common comparison is that the Metroplex is larger than Connecticut.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:07 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Guy View Post
Check this website video produced at Windsong Ranch about our 5 acre blue, crystal clear Lagoon with gorgeous sandy beaches, floating docks for diving and swimming, kayaking or just lounge on your own personal floats. Many more videos about Windsong Ranch/Lagoon are on YouTube. We were in the first group of residents to move into WSR in 2015, after having lived in Frisco, TX. for 11 years. That was the BEST decision we ever made together. Phenomenal smart planned growth, the new PGA HQ from Florida is under construction now with (2) 18 hole courses and (1) 9 hole course will open in 2022 with NTX trail access for WSR residents and so much more(600 acres with a new Omni Hotel). 10,000 new homes and Frisco's new city government center will be built there, adjacent to the the PGA HQ, the same developer who built the acclaimed Legacy West in Plano, TX. is the lead on this MEGA development known as the Fields Project, the biggest ever done by Frisco(2,100 acres).

Windsong Ranch in Prosper, TX. is one of the BEST national award winning master planned residential communities in NTX. Projected build out 3,200 homes, currently 1,000 homes have residents in this 2,200 acre development with 600 acres set aside for numerous walking trails and open green, treed spaces. Numerous employees along with their families from around the country and the world have chosen to make Windsong Ranch their new home. 100 Toyota employees live here now, along with several from Liberty Mutual Insurance, Boeing, Chase Bank and many more residents with professional licenses and upper corporate managerial credentials, as well as many retirees and a diverse community of residents. New retail development with several well known brand stores and a major grocer are open now, in Windsong Marketplace. Many residents ride their golf carts to the Marketplace. Explosive growth you have to see it to believe it. Dallas North Tollway under construction now will cross Hwy 380 shortly, highway concrete pier supports are being put up now.

The Town of Prosper, TX. "A place where everyone matters" is adjacent to and just north of Frisco, TX. with all it has to offer is just across Hwy 380 to the south. They say everything is BIGGER in Texas, well Windsong Ranch is much bigger and much better! "A cut above!"

Welcome to Texas Y'all!

https://windsongranchliving.com/amenities/lagoon/

https://windsongranchliving.com

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Up2Date380/posts/

https://www.facebook.com/prospertx.gov/
OP wants a 5 bedroom home and the his max budget is $475k. Is that even possible in Windsong? I just looked at Highland's site and their cheapest floorplan starts at $472k and that's for a 3 bedroom. Windsong is also the epitome of cookie cutter houses squeezed on to tiny little lots.

OP, I like the Richardson suggestion and that's probably where I would end up if I had similar criteria.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
OP wants a 5 bedroom home and the his max budget is $475k. Is that even possible in Windsong? I just looked at Highland's site and their cheapest floorplan starts at $472k and that's for a 3 bedroom. Windsong is also the epitome of cookie cutter houses squeezed on to tiny little lots.

OP, I like the Richardson suggestion and that's probably where I would end up if I had similar criteria.
Don't respond to spam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas