Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 11:53 AM

19,483 posts, read 17,709,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Clearly I was being hyperbolic...the point being the opinions aren't feet and feet of snow, Texas heat and California. There are many places that while they don't have California weather, have nicer weather than either Texas or the North East. Less extreme seasons. (upper south, lower midwest, Appalachia, and many parts of the west depending on elevation)

I don't think I know anyone (in real life) that lives here who loves the weather 10 months out of the year...

I mean the weather in July isn't any different than September...I would argue we have oppressive heat (most years) from June though the middle of October, while our nice summer weather (when it feels good being outside, but it is defiantly consistently still hot/warm enough to swim) is Mid April though May and Mid October though Mid November.

I mean I've been here 10 years, so of course it isn't a deal breaker for me...I love alot of things about Texas, but I do spend alot more time indoors in Texas than I would like to.....going to the pool or lake defiantly helps, I've certainly done more of that this year than any and have the tan to show for it
As you know count me as one of the people who gladly accepts a few months of serious heat for the other 8ish months of pretty good to great weather.

For the record and to your point in DFW over the last many years (30 year moving average I think) July has been trivially hotter than August from a mean temp. perspective. Over the long term July and August are our hottest months by a fair bit......also over the long term June, July and August are the only months with average daily highs in the 90s, honorable mention to September at 89F.

DFW is one of not to many big cities in which any golfer who wants to can play ~275 days per year. My PB is 301 equivalent rounds over 280 days.

We:
Do not winterize our pool - I'd guess someone is in the pool or spa 300 days a year.
Do not winterize our sprinkler system(s).
Do not winterize our boat or Waverunners, although I do garage the Wrs some of the time to keep them clean.
Do not remove our aluminum Waverunner lift from the water.

We boat every month of the year - extensively from March 1 or just after through roughly December 1. We're not big wetsuit people so we use the Waverunners hard from roughly later May - October 1, some years just a bit later. I did squeeze into my old wetsuit for a Wr spin on a gorgeous day in early February......that was a big mistake.

Like you we've been on the water a lot this year. Since Jan. 1 we've logged 106 or so boat hours and more than that on the Wrs.

In summation I'll take the weather here over 90% of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 12:00 PM

19,483 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
Nope.
The other guy's point is generally correct. Anywhere around Houston most nights during the summer is way nasty.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:11 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Clearly I was being hyperbolic...the point being the opinions aren't feet and feet of snow, Texas heat and California. There are many places that while they don't have California weather, have nicer weather than either Texas or the North East. Less extreme seasons. (upper south, lower midwest, Appalachia, and many parts of the west depending on elevation)

I don't think I know anyone (in real life) that lives here who loves the weather 10 months out of the year...

I mean the weather in July isn't any different than September...I would argue we have oppressive heat (most years) from June though the middle of October, while our nice summer weather (when it feels good being outside, but it is defiantly consistently still hot/warm enough to swim) is Mid April though May and Mid October though Mid November.

I mean I've been here 10 years, so of course it isn't a deal breaker for me...I love alot of things about Texas, but I do spend alot more time indoors in Texas than I would like to.....going to the pool or lake defiantly helps, I've certainly done more of that this year than any and have the tan to show for it
Interesting - I know a lot of people who love the weather here for about ten months out of the year.

I don't find the heat here oppressive till August and September. I love June and even July here. Most people I associate with do as well.

Just so you know. But I'm glad you like so much about Texas.

Old 08-17-2020, 01:42 PM

531 posts, read 635,713 times
I love the weather 10 months out of the year here. I usually dislike the weather from Mid-Dec through mid-Feb - too cold for me. I don't mind the heat and definitely prefer it to the cold weather.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:41 PM

513 posts, read 440,279 times
Is everyone enjoying our cold front today?

Old 08-17-2020, 03:51 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,155,710 times
Although like many native Texans it seems to me that August and September are the hottest months, data show that the two hottest months are actually July and August; September temp data are almost identical to June. I think by September we're all just sick of the heat.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:59 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,086,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
Is everyone enjoying our cold front today?
I would enjoy it more if it hadn't arrived with the requisite power outage that comes with any big wind storm.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:12 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Although like many native Texans it seems to me that August and September are the hottest months, data show that the two hottest months are actually July and August; September temp data are almost identical to June. I think by September we're all just sick of the heat.
September isn't any hotter than July, just more people are over it by that point.

Im usually over it by the 4th of july lol.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
As you know count me as one of the people who gladly accepts a few months of serious heat for the other 8ish months of pretty good to great weather.

For the record and to your point in DFW over the last many years (30 year moving average I think) July has been trivially hotter than August from a mean temp. perspective. Over the long term July and August are our hottest months by a fair bit......also over the long term June, July and August are the only months with average daily highs in the 90s, honorable mention to September at 89F.

DFW is one of not to many big cities in which any golfer who wants to can play ~275 days per year. My PB is 301 equivalent rounds over 280 days.

We:
Do not winterize our pool - I'd guess someone is in the pool or spa 300 days a year.
Do not winterize our sprinkler system(s).
Do not winterize our boat or Waverunners, although I do garage the Wrs some of the time to keep them clean.
Do not remove our aluminum Waverunner lift from the water.

We boat every month of the year - extensively from March 1 or just after through roughly December 1. We're not big wetsuit people so we use the Waverunners hard from roughly later May - October 1, some years just a bit later. I did squeeze into my old wetsuit for a Wr spin on a gorgeous day in early February......that was a big mistake.

Like you we've been on the water a lot this year. Since Jan. 1 we've logged 106 or so boat hours and more than that on the Wrs.

In summation I'll take the weather here over 90% of the country.
Man, 90% is a really high number, I would even argue Dallas isn't even in the top 50% of weather in Texas, but hey, preferences like that are totally subjective so more power to you.

I mean yeah, I swim year round here. I looked at the data once and in the Decade Ive lived here we have had at least a day over 80 in December more years then we haven't. Swimming can be a little chilly in Jan.

I don't think it is THAT special you can golf pretty much year round across the whole sunbelt... The big Florida Cities, Atlanta, California, AZ and the Big 4 Texas Cities. You can Golf comfortably like 9 months of the year in Western Cities like Denver or Boise and like 10 months in Seattle or Portland (provided you don't mind the damp)

I mean as long as there isn't actively snow on the ground you can play golf. Snow doesn't usually stick around long in Western Metros, so you could deff play golf 10-11 months of the year in most of the west...highs in the Upper 30s or 40s might not be super comfortable....but in my opinions it is isn't any worse than playing in 100 degrees. I've done both and don't enjoy playing in either.

I mean I will play golf, but I don't enjoy it enough to want to do it in 100 degrees or 30 degrees.

I'm not a big golfer, so it doesn't really mater to me. I care more about days that are good for hiking or camping....most places the summer is a great time to camp...not so much here in Texas, it is very uncomfortable.

I think alot of Southerners way over estimate how hard "Dealing with Winter" is. I've Spend more total days Iced in in Texas than I have snowed in up north.

Blowing out Sprinkers takes all of 15 min...30 min max, once per year. Pulling the Jet Skis or boat out of the water is pretty easy.

But hey, if you want to get year round use out of your Jetskis, I'll deff take them out for a spin in the off months, a little chilly water doesn't bother me

Old 08-17-2020, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Interesting - I know a lot of people who love the weather here for about ten months out of the year.

I don't find the heat here oppressive till August and September. I love June and even July here. Most people I associate with do as well.

Just so you know. But I'm glad you like so much about Texas.
I mean this year I might actually enjoy the weather 10 months...weather has been nicer than usual.

Not loving the weather has been much less of a big deal now that I spend 0% of my work time outside lol. Summers were a living hell in my old line of work where I had to be on roof tops and in boiler rooms that were hot as a sauna in the summer.

That said I still sit in the Sauna (and turn it up if it is under 180) for about 20ish min per day even when it is 105 outside lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas