Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 11:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

It's really going to depend on the door brand and model, the quality of the install and the efficiency of the glass.

There's no good answer to your question , at without more information.

Though I will say, at 16 feet, I'd personally want high quality doors. That's a lot of span where you could end up with settling/movement leading to jams etc as well as air leaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 08:35 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,399,224 times
16 feet is not a sliding glass door, they are typically about 6 to 7 feet. You are talking a glass wall. Does it slide or fold? That's actually a pretty good price. If you want to go cheaper, you could get multiple sliding glass doors, with framing between each one. I have a friend with a cabin that has 10 down a lake side, built 30 years ago before glass walls were available for residences. It actually looks pretty cool.

But $8k for a glass wall is a pretty good price, so I'd go with that.

East is fine - no need to worry about heat gain or weather too much from the east, except for a couple of weeks in the late summer.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, this is the Dallas area, so between May and October you must have some kind of screens. Even if you open the slider the minimum and try to slip through and close it as fast as possible, mosquitoes will dart in on you. Personally I'd have windows (but I'd get them to put proper windows that open) and a single door with a screen door. If you pay enough they will do it. Who's the customer here, anyway?

Old 08-15-2020, 08:04 AM

34 posts, read 39,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
16 feet is not a sliding glass door, they are typically about 6 to 7 feet. You are talking a glass wall. Does it slide or fold? That's actually a pretty good price. If you want to go cheaper, you could get multiple sliding glass doors, with framing between each one. I have a friend with a cabin that has 10 down a lake side, built 30 years ago before glass walls were available for residences. It actually looks pretty cool.

But $8k for a glass wall is a pretty good price, so I'd go with that.

East is fine - no need to worry about heat gain or weather too much from the east, except for a couple of weeks in the late summer.
You're right. There are a total of 4 doors but only the 2 middle ones slide open and close. The other two don't .

Old 08-15-2020, 10:02 AM

213 posts, read 239,336 times
I live in a newish built. Everyone in my neighborhood has sliding door because uhhh “outdoor living”. I was one of the first to build in the community. I do not have a sliding door. I do regret not getting one. I am having it installed now.

Old 08-16-2020, 09:28 AM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajm View Post
You're right. There are a total of 4 doors but only the 2 middle ones slide open and close. The other two don't .
That's a really cool feature if you can make the "engineering" work. Sun, rain, wind, casual flooding, bugs and more are key considerations not to mention your rough work needs to be square and plumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: