Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 01:11 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,419,357 times

Advertisements

I have 2 large live oaks in my front yard. Roughly as tall as a two story home and are likely 20 years old.

The one with less leaves lost most of its leaves last winter and when they returned it thinned out. We use Arbortech to trim the trees annually and ask about the one I am worried about of them and heard it was ok

Any recommendations on who I should have come look at it to see why it is doing this and if there is anything I can or need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 09:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I have 2 large live oaks in my front yard. Roughly as tall as a two story home and are likely 20 years old.

The one with less leaves lost most of its leaves last winter and when they returned it thinned out. We use Arbortech to trim the trees annually and ask about the one I am worried about of them and heard it was ok

Any recommendations on who I should have come look at it to see why it is doing this and if there is anything I can or need to do?
Sending a message.

John, I'm not sure Danny is still local but the company is......last time I had him over he mentioned moving to Central Texas.

Did you watch The US Open? Unless he loses interest or gets hurt BD is going to be a problem on tour for years.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Sending a message.

John, I'm not sure Danny is still local but the company is......last time I had him over he mentioned moving to Central Texas.
ali

Did you thewatch The US Open? Unless he loses interest or gets hurt BD is going to be a problem on tour for years.
He was able to diagnose my issue over the phone. He recommended a company in Wylie that uses something called an aerial spade to uncover some roots which he believes are not letting the tree get enough oxygen with the amount of dirt covering micro root. Said its a most common problem with live oaks in a landscape bed in this neck of the woods. I think he has it right and gave me three companies to address it. He said he is more into boring in to find more exotic or rarer issues. I did not press him to come here since it seemed slightly out of the area of the work he prefers to do.

I did watch the US Open beginning to end. Bryson was other worldly in how well he played tee to green. Great putting that seems to get ignored. His power out of the rough with a short iron will change the game I think. The youngsters are hitting it hard and long like he is. There is a statistician that has done the analysis that shows hit it long wins over hitting it in the fairway more. But Bryson did both on Sunday. Doing it consistently is going to be the question going foward but I look forward to how things evolve.

I use to be a USGA rule book carrying member of the USGA but dropped it a few years ago when they outlawed anchored putting after letting it go for decades yet ignored the longer ball issue which is drying up cost as more land is needed even for the great old courses like Winged Foot. I absolutely love this course.

I had forgotten you were a golfer. Im an Ok State grad so follow the cowboy golfers on my leaderboard

Danny did great thanks for the recommendation. I am going to have the Wyllie company come out to estimate how much moving some massive rocks to get to the soil is going to cost me But I got to do it these two big trees define the front of my home and both are critical so we will do what it takes to save it

Old 09-25-2020, 03:16 PM

19,804 posts, read 18,110,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
He was able to diagnose my issue over the phone. He recommended a company in Wylie that uses something called an aerial spade to uncover some roots which he believes are not letting the tree get enough oxygen with the amount of dirt covering micro root. Said its a most common problem with live oaks in a landscape bed in this neck of the woods. I think he has it right and gave me three companies to address it. He said he is more into boring in to find more exotic or rarer issues. I did not press him to come here since it seemed slightly out of the area of the work he prefers to do.

I did watch the US Open beginning to end. Bryson was other worldly in how well he played tee to green. Great putting that seems to get ignored. His power out of the rough with a short iron will change the game I think. The youngsters are hitting it hard and long like he is. There is a statistician that has done the analysis that shows hit it long wins over hitting it in the fairway more. But Bryson did both on Sunday. Doing it consistently is going to be the question going foward but I look forward to how things evolve.

I use to be a USGA rule book carrying member of the USGA but dropped it a few years ago when they outlawed anchored putting after letting it go for decades yet ignored the longer ball issue which is drying up cost as more land is needed even for the great old courses like Winged Foot. I absolutely love this course.

I had forgotten you were a golfer. Im an Ok State grad so follow the cowboy golfers on my leaderboard

Danny did great thanks for the recommendation. I am going to have the Wyllie company come out to estimate how much moving some massive rocks to get to the soil is going to cost me But I got to do it these two big trees define the front of my home and both are critical so we will do what it takes to save it
I'm glad Danny was able to help at least steer you in a direction that will likely help. He's a really good guy and nice to know he's still around.

The rough last weekend looked like green spaghetti. DB and his people have decided that it's better to be 320-360y downrange and in the rough a lot than 290 and in the rough less. I think is sort-of Moe Norman swing allows him to rip it out of the rough better than most. I agree his putting fine.

Winged Foot is one of those very few courses in which a player can be on the green in regulation and in trouble at the same time. I agree overall it's a gem.

_________

Howdy! I'm not an OSU grad but have lots of pals who are. I played Karsten Creek one time in the wind (maybe 25 gusting to 35). At the time I was a 3....I shot and 88 and was fairly happy.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm glad Danny was able to help at least steer you in a direction that will likely help. He's a really good guy and nice to know he's still around.

The rough last weekend looked like green spaghetti. DB and his people have decided that it's better to be 320-360y downrange and in the rough a lot than 290 and in the rough less. I think is sort-of Moe Norman swing allows him to rip it out of the rough better than most. I agree his putting fine.

Winged Foot is one of those very few courses in which a player can be on the green in regulation and in trouble at the same time. I agree overall it's a gem.

_________

Howdy! I'm not an OSU grad but have lots of pals who are. I played Karsten Creek one time in the wind (maybe 25 gusting to 35). At the time I was a 3....I shot and 88 and was fairly happy.
You are a serious golfer then at that handicap. I was a 4 in high school when I was paying lots. Retired from it recently though. Karsten was after my OSU time. Im a wind player, hit a 11 degree loft driver no higher than 50 feet up with my stock swing. But thats a lot of wind even for Stillwater. I played Watters creek a couple of years ago here in a 25 mph wind on the back side with higher gusts. A former KU golfer played with us and shot a 1 under on the back side in that wind. Talk about hitting a long ow ball. Power fade into the wind lower than my stock driver. It was a sight to see. Its the only windy day I found here in DFW in my 7 years of play here.

You are familiar with strokes gained the use of big data that PGA tour has to rate each shot. That analysis shows long and in the rough winds over shorter in the fairway and some of the big golf colleges are adopting that style of play so its coming no doubt more will do it.

Danny was a gem thanks for sending me his way

Last edited by Johnhw2; 09-25-2020 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas