Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Realtor took them out to Rockwall today. They fell in love with the area. They do want a pool as that is a must. Plano has some nice homes - I have been looking online. They just called me.
Plano to Carrollton will be a very easy commute, and there are plenty of nice homes there.

My parents live in Rockwall, and it is a really nice place, but unfortunately, it is not going to be a good commute at all. In addition to it being about 30 miles each way, the only direct route is an expensive toll road that’s $5 each way using a Tolltag. However, the worst thing about Rockwall is the I30 bridge across Lake Ray Hubbard. If there is a major accident that closes the bridge, which happens fairly refquently, traffic becomes an absolute standstill. I am really at a loss to why a realtor would take them to Rockwall simply due to the lengthy commute to Carrollton...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 11:07 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
They have a really bad realtor if they were taken to Rockwall and the job is in Carrollton. There are many great places closer to Carrollton. If they really like a lake they can look in Highland Village which is a much better commute and would seem a lot like Rockwall.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:18 PM

88 posts, read 89,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Realtor took them out to Rockwall today. They fell in love with the area. They do want a pool as that is a must. Plano has some nice homes - I have been looking online. They just called me.
Realtors are all evil, don't listen to them.
Addison or Plano.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:03 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,233,863 times
Tell them to forget Rockwall. Their agent must be trying to sell one of their other listings or is doing a favor for another agent. A commute from Rockwall would be absolutely terrible.

Old 10-12-2020, 08:02 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
I can't imagine much of a worst commute. Rockwall to Carrolton. Ridiculous. I'd change realtors just based upon that.

Old 10-12-2020, 09:37 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,048,957 times
Always a accident on the I30 bridge. It can also ice up if we ever have a winter again.

Old 10-20-2020, 10:04 AM

213 posts, read 183,292 times
Rockwall has a lot of house for less money. Schools are not super, but see that's not an issue.

But as noted, commute to Carrolton is terrible. Did they specifically ask for a lot of land or something, and OKed a commute of 1hr+, driving them out to Rockwall? Very strange.

Old 10-25-2020, 08:39 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
They fell in love with the community and the house in Rockwall. My son-in-law already has his sights set on a boat. They got a house with a pool which is what they really wanted.. Houses are going like hotcakes out there - outside of Dallas. Commute will be fine. He can handle. He works in IT.

My daughter spent a week out there looking at homes with her realtor. They also had a budget. The one thing my daughter did come away with - the people out there are very nice/helpful. They found a great little restaurant (BBQ) and the owner befriended them.

Their realtor is the Top Agent out there by the way. Daughter and son-in-law lost their son (our grandson) in 2018 and this is a new beginning for them. Her realtor knew the story.

Old 10-25-2020, 09:13 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,458,265 times
Speaking as somebody that has spent quite a bit of my life in California. Your daughter and her husband are panicky "houses are going like hotcakes out there" and bringing one of those California attitudes to Texas already. They are rushing to purchase thinking they won't get anything, and not even thinking about getting to know the area. Why move halfway across the country for the California experience? People over here are not going to rush headfirst to go to Rockwall, barely sight unseen, without any connections for a job in Carrollton. The realtor has already stereotyped them based upon them coming from California and is going further out to impress them and make a quick sale. A number of years ago I had a coworker at another company. He rushed to come to Texas and bought a place in Royse City. He was working in IT, as we both contracted on the same project as Software Engineers. The thing was. His first job was in Westlake, Texas, and he didn't think the commute from Royse City to Westlake was bad compared to California. We were working in Richardson, and he acknowledged that maybe there were a few other areas that would have been better and affordable if he had only taken a little time to get to know the local communities, job market, commuting patterns, etc. Does your son-in-law even know the IT market, is that even a consideration, ... Obviously, it's their money, their choice. They should probably take a step back and think about what's really important to them.

Old 10-25-2020, 01:47 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Rockwall is a fairly hot real estate community, but to say “houses are going like hot cakes” isn’t true. Their realtor steered them to a community that is very nice, but it makes no sense for them at all. I have a very bad feeling that your daughter and her husband are really going to regret signing him up for that long commute on a toll road. Maybe he will be able to find a job in Richardson which would cut it down by 1/3, but for now, he’s going to be spending 2 hours a day in his car, and putting 300+ miles on it a week.

Good luck with that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas