Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 07:01 PM

25 posts, read 23,622 times

Advertisements

Hola folks, don't want to sound racist or nothing like that, is just that I been looking for info here but haven't found what I'm looking for.
Y'all () are probably tired of another moving question but here we go, looking to relocate with my family, tired of Ny, we live in the suburbs (Long Island) looking for a better life and Dallas seems to call our name for lots of reasons.
Again don't want to sound racist or stereotype but are there any good neighborhoods with a healthy mix of Latin/Americans? some areas here in NY where Latins seem to be the majority, seem to be on the low-income side therefore they have more crime and seem a bit more rundown.
I been doing some research and seems like the better areas are North Dallas like Plano, Allen also Grapevine, Irving, and Flower Mound just to name a few.
My kids are in 9 and 11 grade so good schools, good people(kids) and activities are def a Must but don't know if by being Latin they might have a hard time in school in some areas than others, here they have a healthy mix of races which seems to keep everybody happy, just a concern parent.

I also see that you can rent out condo-style appnts for a mth to a year so ideally, that sounds like a good plan while we get to know the areas and eventually buy a home with a 250k budget maybe a bit more, but naturally, we would like to get to a good area so they don't have to change school 5 times before we settle into our home, by the way, any recommendable RE agents?
any info is highly appreciated and gracias for your time

Last edited by cristhianagui; 11-03-2020 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 07:14 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
The proper term is Hispanic or Latino. Spanish refers to people from Spain. Most Spanish-speaking people in Texas are from Mexico and Central America, not from Spain.

Remember that the DFW area is as large as the state of Connecticut. You need to find a job first, and use that location to base your decision on where to live. Otherwise, you could end up with a very lengthy and time-consuming commute.

A $250k budget will be a bit of a challenge to buy a house in a good area, but if you’re open to renting for a year, you will be able to narrow down your search areas.

Old 11-03-2020, 07:25 PM

468 posts, read 475,662 times
"The proper term is Hispanic or Latino. Spanish refers to people from Spain. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiAOPqrbtp8

Old 11-03-2020, 08:26 PM

25 posts, read 23,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
"The proper term is Hispanic or Latino. Spanish refers to people from Spain. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiAOPqrbtp8
Wow if all the replies were going to be the correction of Spanish to Hispanic, well I guess I'm sorry I asked. Guess I'll correct it god forbid someone says something.

Old 11-03-2020, 11:42 PM

468 posts, read 475,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristhianagui View Post
Wow if all the replies were going to be the correction of Spanish to Hispanic, well I guess I'm sorry I asked. Guess I'll correct it god forbid someone says something.
No Papi, you are fine. That message was for the other person. All my spanish friends use the term "Spanish" too, so No problem at all. But i love that song, very hot.

All those areas are nice. And Plano has very good diversity including many spanish students from all over. And many Spanish students thrive in Plano schools. With your budget it may be a little tough with some of those towns but East Plano and Irving may be possible especially if you don't mind doing some fixin. And next to Irving is Grand Prairie which is Trucking Central for texas.

But overall, you'll find the schools in Dallas area are much better for your family than NY. I remember kids i met from NY couldn't even go to the bathroom because they would get jacked. I never had that problem in NJ and that is why so many families moved out of NY to NJ when i was there. NY is a tough place to raise kids.

Last edited by Peter5457; 11-03-2020 at 11:54 PM..

Old 11-04-2020, 06:35 AM

1,375 posts, read 1,052,555 times
Also you dont speak spanish, you speak mexican down here :-)

Old 11-04-2020, 07:02 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Texas has a long tradition with Hispanics. If you will find a nice middle class neighborhood you like that's good for your kids you'll find you get along fine.

Texans and Hispanics is almost the same culture and there is little conflict.

Just remember why you're leaving NY and don't screw up our state by wanting to repeat their problems.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:27 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Poor neighborhoods in DFW tend to be racially segregated.

Middle class and upper middle class neighorhoods are segregated only by finances, not by race or ethnicity. In the central cities and inner suburbs they'll be predominantly Anglo white with some minorities; in the newest exurbs the South Asians and East Asians are the primary minority population - in some areas they are the majority. Hispanics tend to live in middle class and upper middle class neighorhoods without any noticeable segregation.

A $250,000 house budget will put you squarely in a middle class neighborhood in this area.

So if you're looking at middle class or upper middle class neighborhoods in Dallas or its suburbs, you will be unremarkable. What might set you apart would be your heritage - Dallas has very few people from Spain, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Brazil (I know, not Hispanic) or South America. The vast majority of Hispanic people here are of Mexican or Central American descent.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:10 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
And if you want to be pedantic:

"Hispanic" leaves out Brazilians, whose heritage is from Portugal not Spain.

"Latin American" or "Latino" also includes Cajuns and French Canadians, as France is a Latin country.

If you want to include people of Iberian descent, the correct (never used, though) term is "Iberoamerican" which includes Mexico, Central America, and all of South America including Brazil, plus most of the Caribbean.

"Spanish" refers to people from Spain. Mexicans aren't Spanish and Spaniards aren't Mexican.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:23 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
why not Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: