Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:07 PM

202 posts, read 567,892 times

Advertisements

Please do not buy from the corners of the highways or stores that sell pets - you are supporting puppy mills most of the time and there are thousands of pets at the shelters needing homes. Try the SPCA in McKinney or the Frisco Humane Society in Frisco Texas. Also you can try www.petfinder--- so many people have to give up their homes these days and sadly the pets are ending up in the shelters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
frankly while it is a worthwhile endevor to take a pet into your home that can't be cared for by its owner---the holidays are not the best time to introduce a new pet--especially a young one--to a home

holidays are busy, noisy, and dramatic---sometimes people make an emotional decision that backfires on them once the holidays are over...
REALLY, REALLY consider if getting a pet is the right thing for your situation and consider if the busy holiday season is the time to do it...

Old 12-01-2008, 03:43 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
petfinder.org is an awesome resource for adopting a pet.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM

202 posts, read 567,892 times
Default I am with you

but some people will get pets this Christmas so if they do at least go to the shelter - dont make these puppy mills and pets stores any richer than they are - if you pay $1000 for a pet from a store you will probably pay that amount again to make it healthy after you buy it. Plus puppy mill dogs / pet stores are crazy - because of the conditions they were raised in - did any one see the show on Oprah on how they live it was sickening - had to turn it off.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
My dd volunteered last weekend at the Doggy and Kitty City Humane Society of Dallas County - Welcome! - there are plenty of dogs, puppies, cats and kitten deserving of a home. Most have their vaccines up to date and are already spayed or neutered - which can be the biggest initial expense of adopting a pet.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:38 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sausages View Post
Please do not buy from the corners of the highways or stores that sell pets - you are supporting puppy mills most of the time and there are thousands of pets at the shelters needing homes. Try the SPCA in McKinney or the Frisco Humane Society in Frisco Texas. Also you can try www.petfinder--- so many people have to give up their homes these days and sadly the pets are ending up in the shelters.
I know, I especially feel sorry for pets this time of the year when it is cold, because you know that they are freezing if it is cold outside. Some people get caught up in everything or go on a trip , and their pets end up staying outside in the cold and run out of food. We don't have pets because of that. We are so busy and it would not get the attention it needs or the care.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:55 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Add Petland to list of places of not to buy from. They have a new location across from Central Market in Plano, as well as several others in the area. The Humane Society recently investigated them over the course of several months and found that the vast majority of dogs they sell come from puppy mills.

There are many breed specific rescue groups and general rescue groups in the area.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Got the run-around from McKinney rescue...go elsewhere.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,416,797 times
The problem I have now with all these rescue groups is they want an entire life history, credit application, and home visists before they will consider letting you maybe have a dog. Then the adoption fee is $250 - $500.

I'm out on that. I go to the pound. $85 and awesome dogs. My only grievance there is that they won't let you adopt pit bulls, which is just stupid. I like pits, and I don't have a problem with them.

Anyway, PetFinder and the pound. Two best places.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
We adopted a retired greyhound and had to do the extensive app and home visit. We did our homework beforehand, but it might be worth doing for the unprepared grey adopter because greys are so undoglike in some ways. More like a cat in a pony sized body. And as working dogs they didn't have a frame of reference for understanding glass doors, stairs, toys, etc.

Anyhow, our giant horsedog is sprawled in the other room in front of the fireplace. He's been a great addition to our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas