Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2021, 10:44 AM

39 posts, read 36,273 times

Advertisements

We are new to Dallas and our kids didn't take MAP tests in prior schools they went to. Just curious what people think about these? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 08:49 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,409,031 times
My kids do it - other than the issue that so many of the questions are so poorly written, and their school does it early on Monday rather than like Tues-Thurs, and its yet another test they have to do, I think it's fine. My kids are on opposite ends of the spectrum - one does great and needs advanced classes and one needs more help - and the MAP identifies both fairly well.

Old 04-21-2021, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 8,248 times
Hi. My youngest is moving to private next year but I have always liked the MAPS. It provides a nice benchmark of a child's progress beginning / middle / end of school year and provides a visual of where they stack up amongst their peers within their particular district and the state. Just a nice data point in my opinion, especially in elementary where there are no real grades to compare. I was told by the private school we applied to this year that they look at the MAPS results much more than STAAR.

Our school doesn't tell us in advance (I don't think) when they are administering maps and we have never really made a big deal to our kids on staar or maps testing. I just tell them to do their best and not stress about it.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:45 AM

380 posts, read 368,838 times
I like it for showing progress but I don't think it's the end all be all. I looked over my 2nd grader's shoulder when he took it at home while he was still doing virtual school, and some of the questions are worded strangely. And no, I didn't intervene! I like that it shows not just a score, but also a rate of learning. My kid is grades ahead in math, but his mid-year results showed that his progress had slowed down. I don't know if that's because of the difficulties of virtual school or because even if you're years ahead, if you haven't been taught advanced concepts then you can't answer correctly unless you make a lucky guess! Now that he's back in person I'll be interested to see how he does on the year end test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: