Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 7,628 times

Advertisements

I will soon be leaving Philly for the Sun Belt and I'm looking for some advice.

What I'm searching for is an urban, socially liberal, LGBT-friendly, and racially diverse neighborhood, with lots of young college graduates and single people. Basically your stereotypical millennial paradise. Where can I find that in Dallas?

I have street smarts, so not too concerned about safety. No kids so schools don't matter. Living alone = studio apt is plenty. Budget is $1,650/mo. Must be walkable neighborhood. I am 26 and lesbian. Need access to LGBT dating and nightlife. My job is in North Dallas.

Note:
If you know about Atlanta, Houston, or Phoenix, check out my posts about them. Those are the other cities on my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 07:21 PM

565 posts, read 557,435 times
Uptown/Oaklawn area. Lots of apartments, very walkable, huge LGBT community, and tons of young professionals. Not far from North Dallas which is where you said your job was

The intersection of Oaklawn and Cedar Springs is referred to as the "heart of the gayborhood"

Last edited by mastershake575; 12-11-2020 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-11-2020, 07:38 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlesbian View Post

What I'm searching for is an urban, socially liberal, LGBT-friendly, and racially diverse neighborhood, with lots of young college graduates and single people. Basically your stereotypical millennial paradise. Where can I find that in Dallas?

I have street smarts, so not too concerned about safety. No kids so schools don't matter. Living alone = studio apt is plenty. Budget is $1,650/mo. Must be walkable neighborhood. I am 26 and lesbian. Need access to LGBT dating and nightlife. My job is in North Dallas.

Note:
If you know about Atlanta, Houston, or Phoenix, check out my posts about them. Those are the other cities on my list.

I live in Dallas, grew up in Philly, but a native of Houston, and also lived in Atlanta, so other than Phoenix, I've been where you are and where you are looking to be! lol

Houston is the most diverse metro area in the southern U.S. Least diverse area would be the The Woodlands, TX, about 25 miles north of Houston. Poorest areas are east/southeast in general. I'd HIGHLY recommend the area called the Heights, just nw of downtown Houston. Its like it own little town. Next would be Montrose/Lower Westheimer.

For Dallas/Fort Worth, where will you be working? DFW is unlike the other metros as it has two large cities a bookends with many smaller towns in between. If you are talking Dallas, them its Oaklawn, Deep Ellum, north Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts and Trinity Groves, the latter a newer redeveloped area just west of downtown. I would also consider around White Rock Lake in Dallas. Outside of Dallas, Old town Plano which is on a light rail line, Irving, also on a rail line. If farther west, around the UT-Arlington campus in Arlington. or Magnolia Blvd or West 7th street in Fort Worth. If far north, Denton, Tx because its a city with two universities.

Atlanta - Midtown is #1 choice a its long been a LGBT enclave or over by Georgia Tech.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:18 AM

516 posts, read 450,141 times
Oak Lawn and/or the uptown area for sure. The intersection of Oak Lawn Avenue and Cedar Springs Road is the hub for the LGBTQ community. There are a ton of apartments around that area. It will be a good commute to your job in North Dallas. You could take Lemmon Avenue north or the Dallas North Tollway.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:22 AM

24 posts, read 29,902 times
Yeah Oaklawn is just the place to be, won't hit it better on the spot with what you are looking for.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:53 AM

12 posts, read 9,395 times
Oaklawn is what you are looking for,

Old 12-21-2020, 10:03 AM

26 posts, read 60,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlesbian View Post

Note:
You sound like you need Denver. Why is that not on your list? The winter is really mild compared to what you're used to in Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas