U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 PM

4 posts, read 13,073 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been reading the posts on this board and first of all I'd like to thank you all very much - you've helped me tremendously. It's in reading the posts that I've learned about Oak Lawn and North Oak Cliff.

I'm a 50 year old single gay man considering moving to the metroplex. I have a great job opportunity in Irving, but I think I'd rather live in Oak Lawn or North Oak Cliff. I prefer living in a more urban area because when I've lived in the suburbs before I've felt kind of like a "duck out of water."

I will be renting at first and then I hope to be able to buy. I've always been a renter but the time has come to settle down. When it comes time to buy, I'm looking at the $200,000 price point. I'm not sure whether I'll get a condo, town home, or house.

That being said, I need your help deciding between Oak Lawn, Oak Cliff, and any other neighborhood that I might be comfortable in. I've lived in Chicago, New York, Tampa, San Diego, and Denver (moved for work each time). I'll be moving to DFW from Chicago, where I now live.

It's the "duck out of water" feeling that I'm hoping to avoid. The suburbs have their charms, but I've always felt kind of like the only gay man for miles when I've lived in the suburbs. I like to be able to see gay people around me, walking, talking, hanging out, that kind of thing. It makes me feel more "normal" as it were.

I don't go to bars much, so It's that day to day "gayness" that I need. At the coffee shop, at the grocery store, in the neighborhood. I don't need to live in a ghetto, I just need to feel like I'm safe and accepted.

I'd like some feedback. Where do you think I'd be most comfortable given those parameters? I appreciate your help. I realize that I'm asking a more "touchy feely" kind of a question rather than the more "nuts and bolts" kind of questions that are common, but feeling comfortable in my environment is very important to me, and I suspect it is for most of you as well.

Thanks again!

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 05:45 PM

1,004 posts, read 3,554,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstalzer View Post
I like to be able to see gay people around me, walking, talking, hanging out, that kind of thing. It makes me feel more "normal" as it were.
Um. DFW in general isn't a walking/hanging out kind of metro. People tend to drive everywhere.

Judging by bumper stickers and couples in restaurants, there are a lot of LGBT folks in the Oak Lawn, North Oak Cliff, Uptown area. The areas that I am familiar with the most (Garland Firewheel, Lake Highlands close to White Rock Lake), shows the typical divide where the suburban Firewheel isn't very gay but here in LH, I know three gay households within a 1/4 mile radius of my house. But I wouldn't recommend LH for someone with a job in Irving (too far away).

Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 PM

16,086 posts, read 38,651,761 times
I would say Oak Lawn/Uptown fits your bill and is closer to Irving. Oak Cliff is beautiful but from what I understand it is mostly couples in single family homes -- someone correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 PM

4,197 posts, read 14,320,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I would say Oak Lawn/Uptown fits your bill and is closer to Irving. Oak Cliff is beautiful but from what I understand it is mostly couples in single family homes -- someone correct me if I am wrong.
I agree with you. Also uptown you have more areas that walkable such as West Village/Knox Henderson.

Naima

Old 05-05-2008, 08:59 PM

5,174 posts, read 12,410,611 times
I think Uptown would be a good fit but I am not sure what's the average age of the folks who live there. North Oak Cliff would be more of a couple scene although there are quite a few places to hang out. I have no idea why Grand Prairie. It's not a place most people would hangout and even less gays would want to hang out there. It's much more of a family scene. Oaklawn would also be a great fit.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM

457 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
There are actually tons of gays in single family homes in Oak Cliff mixed in with the straight couples. Look in Beckley Club, Elmwood, Ravinia Heights, El Tivoli Place, Hampton Hills, and Winnetka Heights. In Winnetka you will be challenged to find anything in good condition for less than 200,000 but you can still find some rehab opportunities.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:15 AM

415 posts, read 1,626,395 times
I lived in Irving and worked at 35 and Oaklawn, very doable commute. Traffic was usually a bit heavier on 35 going the other way, but there are plenty of side streets available.

As for 'day to day gayness', I'm not sure I've seen that anywhere. There are rainbow stickers and couples, but quite honestly, someone always had to point it out to me. I do like the area, for the most part, though. A little less 'chain store' than most of the suburbs.

Welcome to Texas!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM

4 posts, read 13,073 times
You all are awesome, what a wealth of information! I appreciate your help.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:29 AM

197 posts, read 1,092,532 times
Hollywood/Santa Monica. But getting to Irving would be a bit of a hassle.

Hollywood/Santa Monica Neighborhood Association

Old 05-06-2008, 10:48 AM

16,086 posts, read 38,651,761 times
Well if you are going to mention East Dallas neighborhoods I would also try Cochran Heights (Knox-Henderson)- Charles Steven Dilbeck-designed storybook homes, then Vickery Place and Junius Heights (mostly Craftsman Bungalows and some Tudors like Hollywood Heights). -- the Lakewood Theater hosts gay bingo once a month (or did) - I've never been but I've heard it's fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas