U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:13 PM

102 posts, read 375,500 times

Advertisements

Two odd questions about Dallas, but certainly important for day-to-day life:

1. Do you have to dial the area code for local phone numbers?

2. What qualifies for HOV - 2 or 3? Depends on the highway?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 09:15 PM

4,197 posts, read 14,320,945 times
several area codes. When people give you their number, they usually include the area code. 214 used to be for Dallas only but that's not the case anymore. I have a neighbor that has 214 and the one next to them is 972 and the one across the street is 817. These are all landlines...

Here are the popular ones...

HOV minimum is 2 people at all times

Naima

Old 05-06-2008, 08:09 AM

164 posts, read 754,949 times
...or a motorcycle.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 AM

415 posts, read 1,626,395 times
Also be careful with landlines that it's not a long distance call. There is an option to get a Metro number, for a bit more, but makes all calls in the area local. A lot of people I know just use cell phones. (Used to be Metro by default, but I think most plans now have unlimited long distance instead.)

HOV lanes were an afterthought here, and it shows. Two occupants (I'm guessing human ) or a motorcycle, and don't be surprised to see people jump in and out of the lane at random places.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,132,959 times
HOV = 2 people in a car; 1 person on a motorcycle. 1 person for every 2 wheels?

I generally dial the area code out of habit.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM

3,642 posts, read 7,911,703 times
When you dial the area code you don't have to do the 1 generally for the codes listed above.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:12 PM

931 posts, read 2,708,540 times
469 is another area code used.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:59 PM

5 posts, read 3,799 times
Default humans only

don't try the maniquin thing for the hov! don't turn out like me.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM

14,864 posts, read 39,820,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
When you dial the area code you don't have to do the 1 generally for the codes listed above.
Actually you do need to use it on some of those. MOST of the Dallas Metroplex is not long distance and getting a "metro" number is not required. HOWEVER, McKinney even though most people that live there work in the Dallas area IS long distance unless you get a metro number. My cheap***** brother in law REFUSES to get a metro number and my sis has to call us and tell us to call her back and hangs up. Then we are the ones paying the long distance bill .

214 - Used to be the only area code for all of the Dallas Metroplex. When the second one was added (972) all locations INSIDE of LBJ got to keep 214 w/ those circling it going to 972. Cell phone numbers then were also ALL 214. Still a popular area code for cell phone numbers.

972 - This is the area code most popular for all businesses and residences outside of LBJ. In use for cell phones now as well. This one goes all the way up to McKinney but is still long distance unless you get a metro number.

469 - this is a new one for the same Dallas area as 214 and 972 but normally only cell phones have this one for the most part.

682 - This is a Tarrant county number. A newer area code for that area.

817 - This is the original Tarrant County number as well as was used for Denton and even up into Wise County. Some 817 people could get a metro number. Arlington used to be long distance unless they had a metro number. No one in Dallas County or east will have this area code. If they do it is on a forward or it could be their cell phone. The phone company co's are not set up to transfer numbers from outside an area code like that unless it is on a forward to a number w/in that co. Even the first 3 digits are set to certain co's w/ in their system and are directed to a number w/in that co even though you can still dial the number they give you it rotates over to the new one.

903 - This area code is for EAST of Dallas County. This one IS long distance so you have to dial a 1 before the number.

940 - This one took in some of the old 817 area and goes on up to the Red River and out past Wichita Falls. Long distance.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 PM

4,197 posts, read 14,320,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

817 - No one in Dallas County or east will have this area code. If they do it is on a forward or it could be their cell phone. The phone company co's are not set up to transfer numbers from outside an area code like that unless it is on a forward to a number w/in that co.
Actually it hasn't been the case for years now, technology is catching up with us. I have 5 phone lines at home and one of them is an 817 area code. This is the same phone line that I had when I lived in Southlake and we kept it with us. It's a VOIP line (Voice Over Internet Protocol) so you can take your phone number with you no matter where you live and you get to keep the area code too.

I love that!!!

Naima
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas