Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 11:15 AM

588 posts, read 485,681 times

Advertisements

I can’t think of any neighborhood or school in Plano where diversity isn’t part of the fabric and most larger DFW suburbs here are like that. No place is 100% racist proof so you’ll encounter occasional discomfort but nothing more. White, Black, Brown, Yellow, mix, all shades are welcome here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 01:12 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Depends on where you're working...but if the city is a non-starter due to having to dig for good schools then Richardson ISD. It's blue-ish.

But if you're open to the aforementioned research then Dallas.

You might find this recent thread helpful: //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...l#post60162690. It focuses on singles but some of it can apply to families as well. Day to day, you'll be fine as a mixed race family in the Metroplex.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:13 PM

468 posts, read 475,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
I can’t think of any neighborhood or school in Plano where diversity isn’t part of the fabric and most larger DFW suburbs here are like that. No place is 100% racist proof so you’ll encounter occasional discomfort but nothing more. White, Black, Brown, Yellow, mix, all shades are welcome here.
Yes, Plano is great with lots of diversity and very welcoming of all backgrounds. But you don't want to go around talking your politics to people.

The days of makin fun of skatboard punks and anarchists/goths are over. Otherwise people gonna be thinkin.. "He sounds just like my Father"

And you definitely don't want to always be saying.. "Yeah, up North we used to do it this way"... I still have to catch myself and stop midway.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:51 PM

290 posts, read 368,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Yes, Plano is great with lots of diversity and very welcoming of all backgrounds. But you don't want to go around talking your politics to people.

The days of makin fun of skatboard punks and anarchists/goths are over. Otherwise people gonna be thinkin.. "He sounds just like my Father"

And you definitely don't want to always be saying.. "Yeah, up North we used to do it this way"... I still have to catch myself and stop midway.
Plano is definitely more conservative than what the OP would probably like, even though it is quite diverse.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:59 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,690,768 times
How academically advanced are your kiddos? Do you know anything about LASA high school in Austin? LASA is a top-ranked school in the country and already in Austin. Have you looked at other areas in Austin? More in town? Maybe you can find what you're looking for by getting out of the area you're in. Trying to problem solve your issues in Austin before you move. Pop into the Austin forum to get some advice on some more "diverse" areas of the city that might help you feel a bit more welcome. I think they're out there.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:36 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,161,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Depends on where you're working...but if the city is a non-starter due to having to dig for good schools then Richardson ISD. It's blue-ish.

But if you're open to the aforementioned research then Dallas.

You might find this recent thread helpful: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/dal...l#post60162690. It focuses on singles but some of it can apply to families as well. Day to day, you'll be fine as a mixed race family in the Metroplex.
EDIT TO ADD: There is a sliver of Richardson ISD that is in Dallas and zoned to well-regarded JJ Pearce High School. I think this would be primarily the Prestonwood neighborhood east of Preston Road/Route 289. So you could get the benefits of living in Dallas (although Far North Dallas is "light blue") while enjoying a consistent quality school experience.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:48 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiem515 View Post
Hello, I’m a recently divorced mom to two girls currently living in an Austin suburb. On paper, this area I live in is quite diverse. In reality, I’ve found that although diverse, we are majorly lacking in cultural acceptance and respect for non-white folks and don’t address any racism within our school system. To me there is a big difference between “Black people live here” and “we celebrate diversity.” I’m looking for the latter and I’m wondering if that exists in the DFW area, and if so, where specifically. We value education and my kids will be going to college so I would be looking at moving somewhere where the school system prepares them for collegiate rigor. I am also a northerner through and through. I’m not quiet about my political thoughts and I don’t want to be. I don’t want to live in a place that views liberals as naive. I’m not a fan of guns and do believe in gun control and reform. We would be looking at a Dallas suburb and not necessarily the actual city to live. Is there a place for me here in TX? Can I find a home here for me and my girls that doesn’t feel so awful?
Well there are lots of places in Dallas and Houston that celebrate diversity as both are VERY diverse. Much more so than Austin. You can also find areas full of liberals too that will share your views on guns. But being in your face to people might not win you a lot of friends even among liberals.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:50 AM

8,323 posts, read 5,484,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
Plano is definitely more conservative than what the OP would probably like, even though it is quite diverse.
I lived in Russell Creek for 5 years. Most of the community there doesnt like guns either but its because they tend to come from India and China, not because they share the OPs concerns.

Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 AM

Plenty of Asians and mid easterners are very familiar with handling guns. Many have served in their home countries as mandated by law in those countries. Some may be against guns but if they feel they need it to protect their family then you better believe they buying a gun.

That's why they live in Plano, Only GPA thugs in plano. Especially Russel Creek.

Last edited by Peter5457; 01-19-2021 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-19-2021, 10:13 AM

Houston has more hbcu influence and also buffalo soldier/black cowboys legacy. You can still see black folk riding their horses inside the city depending where you are. of course it's not as common but I've seen them around enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas