Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 05:06 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Currently live in the Houston area and I started a job a few months ago which has moving to the DFW area this Summer. The office is located Irving off of John Carpenter Highway. We drove around the Flower Mound area as well as surrounding towns and we really liked it. An old co-worker of mine told me about Mansfield and we drove around there and really like it too.

Problem is that I'm conflicted between the easy commute from Flower Mound to the office vs the lower home prices in Mansfield at the cost of a longer commute.

We're a family of 5 and would like to stay under 500k with a pool in a one story home, which is difficult to find in Flower Mound. We visited South Point in Mansfield and we really liked Coventry Homes Bremond model. Problem is if we build it, it will put is well over our budget once we add the pool. Also, if we build, we need to get back up there asap to start the process.

Schools are super important as we have one about to start elementary school, another about to start Middle, and another about to start High School. My kids are really into sports but they're also really into their academics and my 2 oldest are in all honors, so that plays a role in it too. Also, which is better, Lake Ridge or Mansfield HS?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 06:57 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Mansfield to Las Colinas will be a horrible commute. You will be spending an hour in traffic each way on your car rather than with your family.

Look at Euless, and Grapevine on the west side of DFW Airport. These will be a much shorter commute, and there will be nice homes in your price range. The schools in GCISD are just as good as in Mansfield or Flower Mound.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:23 AM

2,510 posts, read 2,211,278 times
I agree that Grapevine would be perfect. Nice homes, great family friendly community with lots to do and excellent schools. The commute from Mansfield would be brutal.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:00 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Carrollton and Farmers Branch (which are both served by one consolidated school district) would also be good options.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:36 PM

1,844 posts, read 830,741 times
Had the exact same commute, but to the other side of DFW airport (Southlake). With a normal 8-5 job it took 52-58 minutes in the morning and 55-70 minutes in the evening pre-Covid. Highway 360 always has traffic and PGBT is hit and miss, but those tolls add up fast. Have a family member that still lives in Mansfield and commutes to the east side of Irving. They've said that it takes around 45-55 minutes now. Still a rough drive.
Mansfield high is considered the best when it comes to academics , but Lake ridge would be right behind it. For the sports it really depends on what sport.

Last edited by TheProtege; 01-18-2021 at 01:50 PM..

Old 02-02-2021, 10:54 PM

672 posts, read 846,715 times
Hey everyone, thanks for the great info! Will keep all of this in mind once we start the search in the next couple of months.

I do have another question, I've been using Google Maps to try and determine how long a commute it would be from certain areas in DFW to my office in Irving. I noticed that that morning commute from Allen to Irving doesn't seem too bad. I told GMaps that I wanted to be at my office by 8am during a random weekday morning, and it told me that the commute would be anywhere from 25-40 minutes.....is that correct? I've heard good things about Allen so I was curious, thank you.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:48 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Hey everyone, thanks for the great info! Will keep all of this in mind once we start the search in the next couple of months.

I do have another question, I've been using Google Maps to try and determine how long a commute it would be from certain areas in DFW to my office in Irving. I noticed that that morning commute from Allen to Irving doesn't seem too bad. I told GMaps that I wanted to be at my office by 8am during a random weekday morning, and it told me that the commute would be anywhere from 25-40 minutes.....is that correct? I've heard good things about Allen so I was curious, thank you.
Allen to Irving? Why?!

I can’t imagine that being fun at all. Just thinking of that stresses me out. There are great suburbs you’d be driving thru daily. If you’re not dead set on new construction there are great options much closer. A lot of them have been mentioned. Flower Mound, Grapevine, and Colleyville all have better schools than either Mansfield or Allen. Keller and Trophy Club may be worth a look as long as you stay close to 114.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:33 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Also remember that due to COVID, current commute times are not accurate. You can't assume what it 'currently' calculates will stay true when most people start returning to the offices. Of course, I don't think it'll ever go back to normal (many people will continue to work from home), but you would be remiss to make decisions based upon current commute times.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:38 AM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post

First, Allen is a great place to live and with one of the best school districts in DFW. Some of the links are:

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...th-metro-area/
https://www.hdavidballinger.com/best...tricts-dfw.php
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/mort...rt-worth-2015/
You can check greatschools.org, Texas state ratings or any other ratings/scores to research more and also any individual schools ratings/rankings.

Money magazine best place to live #2 ranking in 2017, award winning parks and trails etc.
https://money.com/collection/best-pl...allen-texas-2/

Now, coming to your specific situation:

IF your job has flexible times/days to travel to Irving during off-peak hours or some days WFH AND if you think you or your spouse have chances/need to find another job in Plano or Richardson or Frisco, then

(1) West Allen is the best choice (Compared Plano, Frisco for reasons below in my opinion) to find a relatively new home, better diversity, small town feel, easy access to both Plano & Richardson and easy highway access via 121 (toll) and 75 (which is free) to other parts of DFW.

(2) West Plano very good, expensive (for same reasons) and not much new/relatively new home inventory. Central/East Plano not so good from my perspective. If cost and brand new homes, super competitive schools (not everyone likes this) are not a constraint, can consider this as a 1st choice.

(3) Then Frisco, overall good - BUT no diversity especially in newer neighborhoods, only tollway access, farther than Allen if you need to travel to Richardson in future). If you are in interior parts, takes a longer time just to reach the highways. Neighborhoods are very very huge, entrances are grand and once you are inside it's all 1000's of homes with very high concentration of Indians, especially in newer ones.

But IF you see yourself a longer time in your current Job and see yourself commuting to Irving in the long run, THEN, Allen/Collin County may not be good choices, you can find something in other suburbs near Irving like Coppell, Flower Mound, Grapevine, Colleyville etc. and you may find something in your price range.

Another suggestion - never do not go by overall city - look at specific things like location, schools overall neighborhood/house look and feel etc. There are a lot of things that you need to be looking at and taking care.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 02-03-2021 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-03-2021, 10:46 AM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Allen to Irving? Why?!

I can’t imagine that being fun at all. Just thinking of that stresses me out. There are great suburbs you’d be driving thru daily. If you’re not dead set on new construction there are great options much closer. A lot of them have been mentioned. Flower Mound, Grapevine, and Colleyville all have better schools than either Mansfield or Allen. Keller and Trophy Club may be worth a look as long as you stay close to 114.
Life is full of unknowns. One thing to keep in mind OPs future needs. Whether OP sees himself in his current job and Irving in the longer run? If so, other suburbs near Irving would be the best choice. Or also open to change for better opportunities for him/her or spouse in say Plano/Richardson/Frisco? which are also other main job centers in DFW? If so, can consider Allen or other Collin county suburbs based on their individual preferences/choices/price range etc.

So, need to take a decision based on that. Not just based on current job only - need to take future needs also (to a reasonable extent) into consideration and then take a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas