Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 02:33 PM

596 posts, read 302,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
You took a $45,000 pay cut to save $12,000 in taxes?! I took a 10% pay cut to move from NYC, but my take home pay stayed the same. mod cut
Is that a serious question?

Did you actually read the title of the thread? I answered the question as it was put forth to us. It does help to understand the subject matter.

We took a 30% pay cut to live in an area that on average has a 50% cost of living difference. For someone buying a $315k house at 3.5% interest rate (omit down payments for the sake of simplicity), the monthly mortgage is $1,414. A median price house in our old neck of the woods at $1.3 million would have a monthly payment of $5,838 (a difference of over $4k a month). We also are renting out the house we still own in the SF Bay Area for $4k a month. Yep, just silly. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Last edited by Acntx; 01-22-2021 at 03:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 02:37 PM

32 posts, read 31,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post

We took a 30% pay cut to live in an area that on average has a 50% cost of living difference. For someone buying a $315k house at 3.5% interest rate (omit down payments for the sake of simplicity), the monthly mortgage is $1,414. A median price house in our old neck of the woods at $1.3 million would have a monthly payment of $5,838 (a difference of over $4k a month). We also are renting out the house we still own in the SF Bay Area for $4k a month. Yep, just silly. Let me know if you have any other questions.
With that kind of ROI, I want to be silly too!

Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM

I also forgot to mention when I was speaking of median home price, I should clarify that in no way are the homes similar in structure. That $1.3 million home in the SF area was 4 bedrooms and 1070 sf (no that's not a typo). It was also built in 1960. Now we have a new, modern home built in 2017 that we can host our grandkids at and not have them feel like they're living in a commune. They weren't coming back to visit anytime soon living in that miniature box we had in the Bay Area.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:50 PM

312 posts, read 367,697 times
You won't get much of a home with the average Q3 2020 price of $294K for the DFW Metro area.

I believe people typically buy bigger homes in the greater Dallas area than homes they had in LA or SF metro areas.

School quality and costs plus commute times are key.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:51 PM

245 posts, read 254,154 times
Quote:

Did you actually read the title of the thread? I answered the question as it was put forth to us. It does help to understand the subject matter.

But you couldn't afford $1.3M on a $150K CA income. And groceries in the exurbs of Austin aren't half what they are in the Bay. Your net worth would be much higher in CA, but it's not worth it to you when you can have more space in TX. So you aren't actually better off financially, you just have more space. That's fine- but it's the trade off.

Old 01-20-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I also forgot to mention when I was speaking of median home price, I should clarify that in no way are the homes similar in structure. That $1.3 million home in the SF area was 4 bedrooms and 1070 sf (no that's not a typo). It was also built in 1960. Now we have a new, modern home built in 2017 that we can host our grandkids at and not have them feel like they're living in a commune. They weren't coming back to visit anytime soon living in that miniature box we had in the Bay Area.
Ah, got it you are a retiree. I assumed you were a 30 something with kids.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
But you couldn't afford $1.3M on a $150K CA income. And groceries in the exurbs of Austin aren't half what they are in the Bay. Your net worth would be much higher in CA, but it's not worth it to you when you can have more space in TX. So you aren't actually better off financially, you just have more space. That's fine- but it's the trade off.
You sure make a lot of assumptions. Did you just come in here to pick a fight?

I was giving an apples to apples comparison if someone was trying to make a buying decision now.

Who even said what we were making? It's like you're pulling information out of thin air. Give it a rest pal. I'm not here to fight with you.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
You sure make a lot of assumptions. Did you just come in here to pick a fight?

I was giving an apples to apples comparison if someone was trying to make a buying decision now.

Who even said what we were making? It's like you're pulling information out of thin air. Give it a rest pal. I'm not here to fight with you.
You told us how much state tax you were paying. It's not hard to figure out

Old 01-20-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
You told us how much state tax you were paying. It's not hard to figure out
Accept for the fact that you have no idea on deductions, etc. Again, give it a rest. You appear to be just wanting to pick a fight.

Old 01-20-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Accept for the fact that you have no idea on deductions, etc. Again, give it a rest. You appear to be just wanting to pick a fight.
You did not have enough deductions to afford a $1.3M house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas