Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times

Advertisements

Zillow has a feature in which to list your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:07 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plano_Pal View Post
Well, this weekend, 1 showing and they came back Sunday to take a second look....let's see what/if anything we hear back. Call the agent to see what they up to? We will do that. But the best feedback I consider, would probably be a 'nice' contract......

Any ideas to market the property on the internet OTHER THAN listed in real estate marketing 101 i,e MLS/Realtor.com/Craigslist??? Please share you 'true' experiences on other sites....

Thanks again.
I've noticed something and will offer another form of advertisement for you. Please do not be offended by it at all as it is just something I've noticed in your posts - I'm guessing you are originally from another country (just a guess and could be TOTALLY wrong). There are MANY publications out there that target all of the different ethnic groups in this country. Find one that fits your family background and advertise there. MANY times a family that is foreign born tends to read more "news" that target their background vs. something like The Dallas Morning News. Putting an ad in one and even in your native language might draw an interest that otherwise prospective buyers would never see your house. You never know and it never hurts to try.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM

33 posts, read 94,103 times
lower the price significantly below comps. the thing is gonna hit dallas hard just like the other areas. it just took a while.

you don't want to ride it down. beat the comps and get rid of her.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:02 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballyhigh View Post
lower the price significantly below comps. the thing is gonna hit dallas hard just like the other areas. it just took a while.

you don't want to ride it down. beat the comps and get rid of her.
I couldn't disagree more... housing prices never saw an inflated boom here beyond what the market could bear. Unemployment is at a 30 year low, new construction has slowed drastically which reduces the number of available homes for sale, and we're one of the fastest growing large cities in the US.

On average people buy homes that are 2.5x their household income in the area. Compare that with 7-9x in parts of CA, or 6-8x in NY, or 4-7x in DC. That coupled with job growth is the true indicator.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:26 PM

24 posts, read 64,614 times
twojciac, I agree.

Another one, best performing metro areas.

Best-Performing Metro Areas - Forbes.com

CNN/Money: Top housing markets

Last edited by Plano_Pal; 05-12-2008 at 02:42 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Default Real Estate

Our market here is good to great depending on your location and schools. Some areas like Coppell & Southlake prices are going sky high due to a shortage of good homes.

Don't bomb your price. Make sure your good with your Realtor & communicating.

There are pockets like Duncanville, N. ft Worth ect where it is tough but Plano should not be one of them.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:52 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
You could sell your house to me for $1. I'd be happy to pay cash. Now that's fast, huh?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 AM

I couldn't disagree more... housing prices never saw an inflated boom here beyond what the market could bear. Unemployment is at a 30 year low, new construction has slowed drastically which reduces the number of available homes for sale, and we're one of the fastest growing large cities in the US.

On average people buy homes that are 2.5x their household income in the area. Compare that with 7-9x in parts of CA, or 6-8x in NY, or 4-7x in DC. That coupled with job growth is the true indicator.

^^

Feel free to disagree with me. You are wrong. Just get on DCAD and pick any house and see how much the price went up since 98-99. BOOM! It could easily go back to that type of price. Its true that Dallas was not hit as hard as coastal areas ( Florida and Cali). But it still went up disproportionally compared to salaries.

The price increases were fueled by easy no-doc and subprime loans. Just take a look how many homes Countrywide has taken back in the Dallas area. They have thousands of homes that have not hit the market yet. Also look at the number of foreclosures in Collin County. BOOM!

House prices are coming down in Dallas. It may not be 50 percent like in Cali. But they will come down. One only has to look at Dallas News financial sections for the last two months. Pay Attention!

And furthermore. If you want to know what the market is going to be like for the next year or two in the Dallas area. Consult an Economist. NOT a Realtor.

Sell it now or forever hold your peace.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballyhigh View Post
Feel free to disagree with me. You are wrong. Just get on DCAD and pick any house and see how much the price went up since 98-99. BOOM! It could easily go back to that type of price. Its true that Dallas was not hit as hard as coastal areas ( Florida and Cali). But it still went up disproportionally compared to salaries.

The price increases were fueled by easy no-doc and subprime loans. Just take a look how many homes Countrywide has taken back in the Dallas area. They have thousands of homes that have not hit the market yet. Also look at the number of foreclosures in Collin County. BOOM!

House prices are coming down in Dallas. It may not be 50 percent like in Cali. But they will come down. One only has to look at Dallas News financial sections for the last two months. Pay Attention!

And furthermore. If you want to know what the market is going to be like for the next year or two in the Dallas area. Consult an Economist. NOT a Realtor.

Sell it now or forever hold your peace.
It's all about supply and demand... and right now there is plenty of demand, and supply has been decreasing due to the builders finally slowing down new construction. It's not a zero sum game like you would like to believe.. the area is growing and the people moving in are not coming in from lower cost areas... they're coming in from California, NY/NJ, and DC/VA/MD areas because of the jobs and low cost of housing.

There were a ton of foreclosures in certain areas even when the economy was supposedly strong, and those areas have a large number of transient workers who bought homes in neighborhoods still under construction. Try selling a home that you bought 6 months ago with 4 spec homes down the street and you'll quickly realize that if the builder didn't increase their selling price, you will have to lose money on the purchase beyond the fees.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM

and supply has been decreasing due to the builders finally slowing down new construction.

the builders would not be slowing down if there was a high demand! right? if there is money to be made they will build.

And what new jobs are you talking about? HHHMMM EDS just got sold and there are talks of them moving? Right?

Again I ask. what new jobs? What new industry? Countrywide was one of the biggger new employers that came in to the area in the last 5 years. They are toast! Bank Of America is trying to back outof buying them. it is only a matter of time before that turkey is baked , sliced, and sold off in small pieces.

Also the employment numbers can be skewed. Consider that Sally Realtor or Joe Homebuilder quits there day job and gets a job tending bar downtown due to no business in the housing sector. That counts as TWO NEW JOBS. Fantastic. It is still not a pretty picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas