Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,290 times

Advertisements

Such fantastic advice - thank you anonymous Dallasites! It's great to hear about all the opportunities at HP. I think we are leaning in that direction, though will also look into Lakewood and some of the other places mentioned.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:34 AM

401 posts, read 532,285 times
Here's some other useful advice: stop obsessing about race.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:10 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,186,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
Here's some other useful advice: stop obsessing about race.

Asking about racism in a town with a pretty well documented history of it isn't obsessing, it's being smart about making an informed decision where they should buy a home.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:21 AM

2,502 posts, read 2,182,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaroo12345 View Post
Thanks to all for the very thoughtful feedback. We will be working in Dallas so the initial recommendation was for Highland Park public schools, but we wished for an area that was more diverse. Highland Park seems to us to have a reputation for old money, 97% white - but we've also heard that things may be changing in terms of more diverse perspectives/tolerance (even if the demographics remain). How would Highland Park/University Park compare to Southlake in these respects? Thank you all for your time and insight.
When my older son was a toddler, my husband sold his first company. Once that happened, our options regarding where to live opened up and we could easily afford anywhere in DFW. We wanted to stay in the Metroplex so we could be close to my parents. We decided not to move to Highland Park or Southlake for the reasons you outlined. We're a biracial couple who were turned off by the racism in both cities. I am a native Dallasite and remember reading in the newspaper when the first black family moved to Highland Park even though I'm only in my early 40s. I also remember reading about high school students getting into trouble for dressing as maids and bringing leaf blowers to school on Cinco de Mayo. As for Southlake, I have friends who attend high school there and complained about the racism there. I have little reason to assume that either area has changed enough for us to feel welcome there.

The rampent materialism in both areas doesn't appeal to us either. We trying to raise our kids not be materialistic and have no desire to be judged based on what cars we drive or whether we wear the right designers. We also don't want our kids to learn to judge others based on those metrics either.

Old 01-24-2021, 02:40 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,348,888 times
When we lived in Dallas, we looked at Southlake. We bought in Plano instead because if the incessant materialism. And yeah, Southlake is not where Id want to stay. Id look at Plano.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/wh...-back/2533096/

Old 01-24-2021, 03:23 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,522,969 times
OK Southlake stinks but let's not kid ourselves that it's the only suburb in the area displaying excess materialism/consumerism. The DFW area is just overall bad in that regard. Dallas has always been known for "more is more" type of style and spending and Ft Worth has gotten just as bad IMO with all the big oil/gas money there now. The original story was about racism and I don't disagree at all that the two are intertwined, but I think there is a pile on here that is missing the point. The point is there are other cheesy flashy suburbs in the area where people have lots of dough and the football team is great, but you wouldn't be unwelcome there as a person of color would be in Southlake.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:08 PM

401 posts, read 532,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Asking about racism in a town with a pretty well documented history of it isn't obsessing, it's being smart about making an informed decision where they should buy a home.
You sound smart.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:17 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,186,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280Tony View Post
You sound smart.

Indeed. You should spend more time listening rather than trolling.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:23 PM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Indeed. You should spend more time listening rather than trolling.
That should yield a quick tap out.

Old 01-24-2021, 06:36 PM

537 posts, read 440,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Highland Park = old money snobby people
Southlake = new money snobby people

You are very correct that both communities are not really diverse, and that Highland Park is even less diverse than Southlake.

What’s your budget for housing? You could also look at buying in Dallas’ Preston Hollow neighborhood and using private schools.
This post is pretty accurate.

Someone mentioned that they didn't like Southlake because it was built on pasture land. I hate to break it to you, but most of the Metroplex was built on pasture land. Unfortunately, consumerism/materialism can be found anywhere.

Racism also can be found anywhere. My family is multi-ethnic ourselves (Anglo-Latino) and my second grader got asked if he was an illegal at school last week. He thinks it was a joke. I am still in shock and am speechless. He has an Anglo name and both sides of our family have lived in Texas for six generations or more. Point is there are racist idiots everywhere. I mean if someone made this comment to my kid then what would they say to someone who is even darker skin toned. It is just such an ignorant thing to judge someone based on their skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas