Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2021, 12:30 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,343,862 times

Advertisements

I disagree that “prices have never gone down.” I have been investing in real estate since 1972.

I’ve owned houses in the DFW area since 1977. Here’s my memory.

In 1980-83 prices were high and mortgage interest rates were in the double digits. That was the worst market ever for buyers.

But a few years later, I think 1985-88 , we had a huge housing price slump.

There was another housing slump in 1994-1996, and then another in 2008-2013. And I recall that prices did soften dramatically in all those time periods.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 01-29-2021 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2021, 02:18 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
...But a few years later, I think 1985-88 , we had a huge housing price slump...

...There was another housing slump in 1994-1996
Nominal prices did level off in the early 1990s, but a "slump" implies they went down. That simply didn't happen.

Source:

JP's Real Estate Charts: Inflation-adjusted housing prices

Quote:
...and then another in 2008-2013...
That has already been acknowledged. It was unprecedented too.

Prices leveling off akin to the early 1990s is probably the best new homeowners can hope for in the forseeable future. There's no chance of a 2008 repeat any time soon. Problem is, the price levels housing sits at now is already unaffordable for many and wage growth hasn't been as strong as it was back in the 90s.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-29-2021 at 02:28 PM..

Old 01-29-2021, 03:42 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,171,554 times
Quote:
I disagree that “prices have never gone down.” I have been investing in real estate since 1972.

I’ve owned houses in the DFW area since 1977. Here’s my memory.

In 1980-83 prices were high and mortgage interest rates were in the double digits. That was the worst market ever for buyers.

But a few years later, I think 1985-88 , we had a huge housing price slump.

There was another housing slump in 1994-1996, and then another in 2008-2013. And I recall that prices did soften dramatically in all those time periods.
I mentioned I've seen 3 slumps in DFW in my earlier post and I bought my first house in 1980. Each one went down maybe 15% and after maybe 2-3 made up for those losses with a 30-40% gain.

2009-2010 was the biggie I recall and we saw in general no more than 15-20% unless you lost or picked up a foreclosure or shortsale.

80-83 was not that bad because people were buying to beat the high inflation rates. Plano and Arlington were the new construction big boom markets back then

Old 01-29-2021, 06:00 PM

121 posts, read 228,929 times
I do not think anyone who gets a home on this rates would ever want to come out unless the home has some serious problems.

Also my wish is that there should be a tax law passed to identify people with multiple homes in the same area .. I know its an investment but money play with food , clothing and shelter should identified so it gives equal opportunity for everyone.

i am hearing now crowdfunds are buying homes as a rental investment but on the other hand families are struggling to fight the bidding war

Old 01-29-2021, 09:36 PM

588 posts, read 485,923 times
I doubt prices will come down significantly if unemployment or interest rates went up but you may see more homes on the market and have a better selection to choose from.

Old 01-30-2021, 12:43 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,357 times
There is not near enough pre existing homes on market. Its pushing many to the new home side. My community sold 12 the opening weekend.Then we are limited to 12 a month. We have 61 people on a waiting list for upcoming lots. We had to shut down all walk ins and all new appointments for the next couple of months to work thru the wait list. Of the first 12 we sold, 5 were from CA, 5 were relos from other states then CA, and 2 were local. Its insane. Its pushing new prices way up. I hate to see what lumber, materials, and labor cost will be going thru the roof with builders selling 2 to 3 times the normal amount of homes we should. Hopefully next year, once the vaccine is widely out there, the pre existing market will get back to normal to take pressure off the new home side.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:05 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
There is not near enough pre existing homes on market. Its pushing many to the new home side. My community sold 12 the opening weekend.Then we are limited to 12 a month. We have 61 people on a waiting list for upcoming lots. We had to shut down all walk ins and all new appointments for the next couple of months to work thru the wait list. Of the first 12 we sold, 5 were from CA, 5 were relos from other states then CA, and 2 were local. Its insane. Its pushing new prices way up. I hate to see what lumber, materials, and labor cost will be going thru the roof with builders selling 2 to 3 times the normal amount of homes we should. Hopefully next year, once the vaccine is widely out there, the pre existing market will get back to normal to take pressure off the new home side.
Unfortunately, dont see that happening. The existing home market is still super brutal. A buddy of mine finally closed on a 15 year old home in Fate. There were 8 other offers. He got the winning bid only because by some fluke of fate he met the owners and I guess made a good impression on them to where they sold to him. And this is FATE, nowhere near the hotspots of Collin County.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:07 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,440,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by place View Post
I do not think anyone who gets a home on this rates would ever want to come out unless the home has some serious problems.

Also my wish is that there should be a tax law passed to identify people with multiple homes in the same area .. I know its an investment but money play with food , clothing and shelter should identified so it gives equal opportunity for everyone.

i am hearing now crowdfunds are buying homes as a rental investment but on the other hand families are struggling to fight the bidding war
If you dont have to be in the metroplex, then I would suggest looking elsewhere. Maybe OKC or Tulsa. All the desirable parts of Texas are being flooded with money from the coasts. The days of affordable housing are pretty much gone now. Waiting will only ensure that you pay even more later on. Either that or do as others on here have suggested and bite the bullet and buy what you can now.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:36 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Unfortunately, dont see that happening. The existing home market is still super brutal. A buddy of mine finally closed on a 15 year old home in Fate. There were 8 other offers. He got the winning bid only because by some fluke of fate he met the owners and I guess made a good impression on them to where they sold to him. And this is FATE, nowhere near the hotspots of Collin County.
There was a missed opportunity for a pun in there.

But yeah, to your point, I've given up on buying a home in Dallas. I'm not trying to live way out in Fate, Anna or Waxahachie. Fortunately, rents are still affordable (for now).

Old 01-30-2021, 08:07 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
This is just crazy but I believe it. I live in still a fairly new area, my neighborhood is built out, but there's still a lot of construction surrounding us -- most coming into our neighborhood are all CA/otherwise relos. A small, small handful of 'relocating DFW locals' like us.

I have family that are in the process of building in a community near us, they were able to get one of the pre-sale opportunities. Now that their community is open, the builder changed the floor plan they picked to require a media room (it was previously optional/upgrade) and now have raised the advertised price $75K more than what was listed when they selected and went under contract. This is maybe a 3 month timeframe difference.. it's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas