Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2021, 08:48 AM

14 posts, read 15,307 times

Advertisements

i am moving there from out of state, for work. i will be bringing my wife and 3 small children. will be either based by mesquite or where 12 meets i30. could you tell me about the areas? what would a 3 bedroom home rent for? safety? appeal? school systems? ideally a single story 3 bedroom on a 1/2 acre lot or slightly smaller lot would be perfect. what would that run nearby? i wouldnt want to live more than 20mins from these areas if possible. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2021, 09:01 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,702,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstormav View Post
i am moving there from out of state, for work. i will be bringing my wife and 3 small children. will be either based by mesquite or where 12 meets i30. could you tell me about the areas? what would a 3 bedroom home rent for? safety? appeal? school systems? ideally a single story 3 bedroom on a 1/2 acre lot or slightly smaller lot would be perfect. what would that run nearby? i wouldnt want to live more than 20mins from these areas if possible. thank you
I would say it depends on your budget.

Also, the surrounding areas nearest to your work location don't have particularly good schools and tend to have higher than average crime rates. So if these factors are deal breakers, being 20 minutes or less away from your job is probably going to be difficult (especially given that Dallas has pretty bad traffic).

That said, within relatively reasonable commuting distance, your options would either be Richardson (specifically parts of the city west of Highway 75) or Rockwall. According to Zillow, the current median list price for homes in Richardson is $360K, while the median list price for homes in Rockwall is $390K.

Old 01-30-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I would say it depends on your budget.

Also, the surrounding areas nearest to your work location don't have particularly good schools and tend to have higher than average crime rates. So if these factors are deal breakers, being 20 minutes or less away from your job is probably going to be difficult (especially given that Dallas has pretty bad traffic).

That said, within relatively reasonable commuting distance, your options would either be Richardson (specifically parts of the city west of Highway 75) or Rockwall. According to Zillow, the current median list price for homes in Richardson is $360K, while the median list price for homes in Rockwall is $390K.
thank you
i get it.
so which are the nicer school systems in and around dallas? i would like for my kids to avoid bullying as much as possible and to be as well adjusted as possible. i would like to avoid drug areas and a generally self destructive population segment

Old 01-30-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstormav View Post
thank you
i get it.
so which are the nicer school systems in and around dallas? i would like for my kids to avoid bullying as much as possible and to be as well adjusted as possible. i would like to avoid drug areas and a generally self destructive population segment
As far as the top tier school districts in/around Dallas, that would be:

*Highland Park ISD
*Allen ISD
*The western clusture of Plano ISD
*Frisco ISD

However, a commute from west Plano/Frisco/Allen to Mesquite would be exhausting, and Highland Park is quite expensive.

A tier below that (districts, while not excellent, that are still very good/competitive), I would say the following:

*Rockwall ISD
*The central/eastern cluster of Plano ISD
*Carrollton/Farmers Branch Consolidated ISD
*Prosper ISD
*Allen ISD
*McKinney ISD
*Coppell ISD
*Richardson ISD

^^^Rockwall, Grapevine, Prosper, Coppell and Allen are all upper middle class communities, so the issues you mention wouldn't be prevalent.

Again though, I would still stress equal importance to commuting distance. Most of these places, aside from Richardson and Rockwall, are pretty far from the work location in Mesquite.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-30-2021 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-30-2021, 10:14 AM

thank you so much

Old 01-30-2021, 10:18 AM

32 posts, read 31,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
As far as the top tier school districts in/around Dallas, that would be:

*Highland Park ISD
*Allen ISD
*The western clusture of Plano ISD
*Frisco ISD

However, a commute from west Plano/Frisco/Allen to Mesquite would be exhausting, and Highland Park is quite expensive.

A tier below that (districts, while not excellent, that are still very good/competitive), I would say the following:

*Rockwall ISD
*The central/eastern cluster of Plano ISD
*Carrollton/Farmers Branch Consolidated ISD
*Prosper ISD
*Allen ISD
*McKinney ISD
*Coppell ISD
*Richardson ISD

^^^Rockwall, Grapevine, Prosper, Coppell and Allen are all upper middle class communities, so the issues you mention wouldn't be prevalent.

Again though, I would still stress equal importance to commuting distance. Most of these places, aside from Richardson and Rockwall, are pretty far from the work location in Mesquite.
what about rowlett?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslmdlx View Post
what about rowlett?
Yeah I would also suggest Rowlett, North Garland, Sachse, maybe Heath but it's super expensive. Wylie would be pushing it on the commute but it's doable. Possibly Forney, Fate and Royse City as well if Mesquite is the job location. Sunnyvale is probably the best location but it's easily the most expensive of the lot.

Old 01-30-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslmdlx View Post
what about rowlett?
Schools seem to be a high priority for the OP. While the schools in Rowlett aren't awful, they aren't great either.

Old 01-30-2021, 03:38 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
OP, what’s your budget? If you can do $500k, Sunnyvale would be a great option and you may be able to get the larger lot. If you want to live closer to your work, you could look at private schools; there are several good. Catholic schools nearby.

If your budget isn’t that high, definitely look at Rockwall and Forney. Both are safe, very family-oriented with good schools, and a reasonable commute.

Richardson would not be an easy commute due to the 635 construction, or having to drive the whole way on surface streets.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:09 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,112,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
OP, what’s your budget? If you can do $500k, Sunnyvale would be a great option and you may be able to get the larger lot. If you want to live closer to your work, you could look at private schools; there are several good. Catholic schools nearby.

If your budget isn’t that high, definitely look at Rockwall and Forney. Both are safe, very family-oriented with good schools, and a reasonable commute.

Richardson would not be an easy commute due to the 635 construction, or having to drive the whole way on surface streets.
I would second this advice. Pending budget you could look at Sunnyvale or Rockwall. OP could also look at Lake Highlands or the Woodrow Wilson HS zone in East Dallas but lots will be small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas