Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2021, 12:23 PM

19,785 posts, read 18,079,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear EDS. We got a notice from Coserv that our rolling blackouts (which so far have been from 30-45 min max) would most likely be extended to 2+ hours this evening and night. I spent most of the night awake and checking on the pool and pump when the power went out multiple times last night. Each time, the power came back on in 45 min or less, but the surface of our pool became frozen solid anyway.

At any rate, after they said to expect extended blackout periods, I shut off power to the pump and drained our filter, pump, and heater, and turned off all power. I'm hoping it's enough to not damage anything tonight. Shoved a rubber gym ball in the skimmer, put the cover back on and crossed my fingers.
You are doing it right IMO. Maybe break up any ice in and just outside the skimmer by hand every few hours?

That's what I'm doing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 12:46 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
so how does this work.. my sis who lives in Frisco has not had a single power cut, I on the other hand here in Plano lost power for 4 hrs, then back for 2 now power is gone again... is this a social class based system? LOL
It's weird. My brother in law in Frisco has been losing power on and off as others have described. My parents in Rowlett and my inlaws in Garland had lost power since last night. But myself in Wylie have not lost power at all. Dont know if there is rhyme or reason as to how the blackouts are implemented.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

Now to make sure my skimmer baskets don't freeze solid. FWIIW there is almost no ice in them so far using the water bottle and anti-freeze trick.
Would you repeat these so we don't have to dig through old posts? Thanks

Old 02-15-2021, 12:54 PM

516 posts, read 450,963 times
Our power hasn’t been turned off at all. However, we live behind a hospital. The news said if you live near an “essential” building, you are likely not going to have your power cut off.

Old 02-15-2021, 01:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,411,978 times
We are good too but the community next to us has been going in and out. Don't know the reason why!

Old 02-15-2021, 02:28 PM

19,785 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would you repeat these so we don't have to dig through old posts? Thanks
The water bottle and anti-freeze thing?

Take a regular Ozarka or whatever water bottle. Save the cap, drink the water, fill the bottle about 1/3 full with pool anti-freeze. If you don't have that I've used 0 degree washer fluid in Colorado a couple of times. Frankly, 20F washer fluid would likely work better than nothing.

Seal the cap tight and throw the now sealed bottle into your skimmer(s). It won't stop skimmers from freezing some at the surface but will drastically decrease the outward pressure ice can place on the inside of a skinner.

The bottle trick plus a little hand breaking 4 or 5 times per day will keep a skimmer safe.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:46 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear EDS. We got a notice from Coserv that our rolling blackouts (which so far have been from 30-45 min max) would most likely be extended to 2+ hours this evening and night. I spent most of the night awake and checking on the pool and pump when the power went out multiple times last night. Each time, the power came back on in 45 min or less, but the surface of our pool became frozen solid anyway.

At any rate, after they said to expect extended blackout periods, I shut off power to the pump and drained our filter, pump, and heater, and turned off all power. I'm hoping it's enough to not damage anything tonight. Shoved a rubber gym ball in the skimmer, put the cover back on and crossed my fingers.
I didn't shove a rubber gym ball in the skimmer because the top was frozen on it too tightly, but otherwise I did the same stuff and I just hope it holds. My pool froze solid within a few hours. And with the power coming on and then back off again, I just turned it all off and I am hoping for the best. We'll see.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Thinking of y’all and hoping that your pools and homes survive with minimum damage. Where we moved to it is like the middle of the Arctic circle, but at least things are built to withstand it.

Be safe! Remember, things can be replaced and repaired.
That's right and this too shall pass. I'm not driving for anything. And as long as we have power, we've got decent heat. And even if that fails, we've got a fireplace and warm clothes and plenty of food and water and we'll be OK.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:01 PM

233 posts, read 276,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And places that are accustomed to this level of cold are prepared for it, built for it, have equipment for it. That's not the case in much of Texas or the southern states at all.

Wyoming folks would freak out though over the heat in August here so there's that. Also, I know several people who moved here from out of state and they are completely freaked out and hunkered down in storm shelters during a tornado watch. Heck, we're outside trying to get something on video during tornado warnings.
Really? No we wouldn't and aren't freaked. One of many places I worked in my state got to over 90F at altitude of 7000ft.

Going to those extremes for a short term event - you should just move north and experience it for a whole winter. Btw - now that I live in Iceland - it's warmer here than just about anywhere in the US, exc Florida.
Currently 4C, low of 2C - all week.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:04 PM

233 posts, read 276,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
It's weird. My brother in law in Frisco has been losing power on and off as others have described. My parents in Rowlett and my inlaws in Garland had lost power since last night. But myself in Wylie have not lost power at all. Dont know if there is rhyme or reason as to how the blackouts are implemented.
Do yourself a favor and only leave one or two lights on in the house and garage. Turn everything else off at the breaker box. The fridge and freezer will last several days, as long as the kids don't open it and stare.

I was under the impression that Texas was self sustaining and not dependent on other states for their power?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas