Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 08:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
About 10 to 12 years ago, a coal fired electric plant on North Lake Dallas just south of Coppell was demolished. To my eyes it looked to be of decent size. I'm sure it could have helped prevent some (not all) of the blackouts here in the DFW area.
But the company would not pay to install scrubbers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2021, 08:31 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,585,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
No, there are plenty of vineyards in Canada. The kind of weather you are experiencing lasts three to four months in my area around Montreal, and there are vineyards a couple of miles from where I live.
But that weather goes into Fall and then winter
Tx has highs in the 70s in January
So yes vineyards can be frozen and destroyed because their vines stock doesnt go totally dormant

Old 02-18-2021, 08:59 PM

198 posts, read 172,500 times
I understand that ERCOT had issues on capacity side due extreme cold weather.
They told ONCOR and other provider to implement rotating outages.
Why ONCOR and other provider not able implement the rotating outage while matching the capacity?
I think that's equally important issue.
If they were able to rotate the outage effectively and everyone ( except essential services) has power for lets say 12 hour a day for last coupe of days then the overall impact would have been different.

If I remember correctly, to put in number perspective the ERCOT capacity was around 70,000 MW before this started and capacity hit low around 44,000 MW yesterday morning.
So, the maximum capacity dropped by around 38 %..

So, we are left with 62 % capacity. So, its hard to believe that all of these 62 % were people within the block of essential service ( fire station , hospital water etc).

Old 02-18-2021, 09:02 PM

18,527 posts, read 7,284,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countysquare View Post
1. Coal is dirty and spews greenhouse gasses and other spew. We need renewable energy. Try wind.
Wind is not "renewable". It's non-depletable.

Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 PM

8,021 posts, read 3,594,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san11 View Post
I understand that ERCOT had issues on capacity side due extreme cold weather.
They told ONCOR and other provider to implement rotating outages.
Why ONCOR and other provider not able implement the rotating outage while matching the capacity?
I think that's equally important issue.
If they were able to rotate the outage effectively and everyone ( except essential services) has power for lets say 12 hour a day for last coupe of days then the overall impact would have been different.

If I remember correctly, to put in number perspective the ERCOT capacity was around 70,000 MW before this started and capacity hit low around 44,000 MW yesterday morning.
So, the maximum capacity dropped by around 38 %..

So, we are left with 62 % capacity. So, its hard to believe that all of these 62 % were people within the block of essential service ( fire station , hospital water etc).
Yes, that was as ridiculous as everything else. Having 12 hour power spread through the day would have avoided most of the damage.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:06 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,084,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But that weather goes into Fall and then winter
Tx has highs in the 70s in January
So yes vineyards can be frozen and destroyed because their vines stock doesnt go totally dormant
Of course, the freeze and thaw cycles will wreak havoc. Yep.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:13 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But the company would not pay to install scrubbers
Everything I read says those were gas powered plants. Just very old inefficient gas plants. This article includes the Northlake plant. From 2009...

https://www.reuters.com/article/util...40030320090313

Quote:
The Texas electric grid operator has approved Luminant’s request to retire five aging natural gas-fired power plants before summer power use peaks, said the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT).

ERCOT has determined that Dallas-based Luminant can permanently shut 2,114 megawatts of gas generation without hurting reliability of the state’s power network, according to the agency notices.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:59 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,340,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
What?

When we were scouting houses here in the last week of December, 2013, Dallas was just pulling out of a hellatious winter ice storm storm that had frozen the city for a week. Heck, we had just driven down here from Bloomington, IL (you think a Dallas winter is bad? Go to Illinois to see what a bad winter can look like), and we thought Dallas was bad that week...and it was bad for at least two weeks (the week before we got there, the week we were here, and another week afterward).

But we moved down a few weeks later, and there hasn't been anything 10% that bad since. This isn't nearly as bad as that 2013 storm. Here in Plano there hasn't been any precipitation. It takes two weeks of freezing temperatures to freeze the earth enough to hold snow for days, so that's not going to happen at all this year.

Shoot, this ain't a winter.
The difference between Illinois and Texas is that Illinois has the infrastructure to handle the cold without a hitch, I guess Texas does not.

Old 02-19-2021, 07:04 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,074,259 times
If your regular grocery stores are out of stock, head to the Asian grocery stores (Zion Market, H Mart, 99 Ranch, Hong Kong Market). They won't have as much American packaged goods. They will have produce, meat, seafood, paper goods and a small Mexican foods section.

They will require masks to shop. They will have somebody stationed at the door to check.

Last edited by move4ward; 02-19-2021 at 07:30 AM..

Old 02-19-2021, 07:11 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,388,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
The difference between Illinois and Texas is that Illinois has the infrastructure to handle the cold without a hitch, I guess Texas does not.
True and this has been record breaking cold weather and a long stretch of it too.

The storm has moved east and is wreaking havoc now in other states. I have relatives in Ohio for instance, and they are very accustomed to snow and freezing temps and even they are alarmed by the amount of snow and cold with this storm system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas