Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 01:15 PM

5 posts, read 3,207 times

Advertisements

Hello Guys,

First time poster here. I am a physician in training and looking at buying a nice lot in Parker (right off parker rd and close to Southfork ranch). I am currently about to finish by residency in San Francisco, California and looking to move to Parker and build a nice beautiful home there in the next 2 years. Based on what you know about the area, is this a good place to buy land in? is it a safe area? Would you recommend I look somewhere else. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 01:55 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times
I had never heard of Parker, so I just looked it up. Appears to be a small (less than 4K) community bordering Allen and Plano. I don't think there is much of a cohesive 'Parker' identity since homes are split between both Allen and Plano school districts. Assuming you understand its a flat, far out suburb (And are okay with that) - I am sure its fine place to live. I think its pretty close to 75 freeway - so not that remote. There used to be some small horse ranches out there that may still remain. Southfork is much smaller in-person than you would think.

Hopefully, you plan on getting a job up in Collin County as it would be a long commute from many Dallas hospitals (e.g., Baylor hospital) in town.

I am sure someone else can contribute more.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:56 PM

1,375 posts, read 1,053,216 times
And another....cali person

Parker is very small, SF isnt really anything now. Its surrounded by houses. Long before houses, it always seemed like a dumpy area with the exception of SF. Surprised there is still open land there. You might look into Lucas, that has acre(s) lots of you can go existing.

You will have super close access to the lake. You will be kind locked in so where ever you work will be a drive, then again you might be on off hours

Old 02-16-2021, 03:04 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Where are you going to work? If you work at Southwestern, Parkland, St. Paul, or Baylor, you will want to kill yourself after a year of commuting.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:36 PM

Default Parker...

I will be working in Medical City Plano and surrounding hospitals. But, I am sensing that Parker is a quiet community which is what I am looking for. Looks like some of you are saying it might look "run down" though?

Old 02-16-2021, 03:44 PM

238 posts, read 172,259 times
I live in Parker. It is similar to Lucas such that homes are typically in acre lots but closer to 75N. North side of Parker falls under Allen ISD. South side falls under Plano ISD. Parker is just next to Plano, Allen, and Murphy area.

I think typical Parker residents choose to live here because of acre lots so there's a sense of country living but close to city and not out in the boonies. Parker is definitely a safe area and good place to get land if you are looking for acre lot that is close to city area.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:46 PM

238 posts, read 172,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliresident View Post
I will be working in Medical City Plano and surrounding hospitals. But, I am sensing that Parker is a quiet community which is what I am looking for. Looks like some of you are saying it might look "run down" though?

I don't want to sound like a cheerleader pumping my own city but believe me Parker is not rundown. For some reason city is not very well known in this forum.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:51 PM

That's about 10 miles - probably typically a 30 min commute in normal traffic. I think it sounds like it meets your qualifications for a quiet community. Its very small, so doesn't make any Top lists of popularity. You will need to drive elsewhere for restaurants, etc..but Plano isn't far at all. I assume you have visited and are looking for something 100% different than San Francisco.

Southfork is kinda rundown, but judging from the home prices for sale in Parker- the area isn't rundown.

If you are looking at Parker, similar communities are Lucas and Murphy.

I'm assuming you are not caring about specific schools at this time.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:52 PM

Yes, I was looking for a nice big acre lot so I can build a nice house and stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Also, want decent schools and a relatively close (around 45min drive) to downtown Dallas in rare instances I have to cover the downtown hospitals.

Old 02-16-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliresident View Post
Yes, I was looking for a nice big acre lot so I can build a nice house and stay away from the hustle and bustle of the city. Also, want decent schools and a relatively close (around 45min drive) to downtown Dallas in rare instances I have to cover the downtown hospitals.
Sounds like Parker probably is a good fit for you. I'd say the commute during any kind of traffic would be closer to an hour at least - but as you say, that will be rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: