Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 10:57 AM

198 posts, read 184,371 times

Advertisements

Next-door has exploded with comments about what happened at Haggard.
Is next-door considered a competitor or can I post links here ?

Old 03-08-2021, 04:36 PM

578 posts, read 472,007 times
I don't think #2 is racism. It's just criminal profiling. The police have every right to question someone walking on the street with T-shirt at 0F, and if he does not cooperate they can legally detain/arrest him.

#1 is more than racism. It's organized hate crime if true. According to the accusations I see, the group of bullies have multiple victims and they dare to post their videos on Tik Tok and Snapchat. Not sure how the school could let this happen. Bullies need to be sent to juvenile detention and some school staffs need to face criminal charges.

It's very inappropriate to mix the two incidents together.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 PM

5,582 posts, read 4,853,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
I don't think #2 is racism. It's just criminal profiling. The police have every right to question someone walking on the street with T-shirt at 0F, and if he does not cooperate they can legally detain/arrest him.

#1 is more than racism. It's organized hate crime if true. According to the accusations I see, the group of bullies have multiple victims and they dare to post their videos on Tik Tok and Snapchat. Not sure how the school could let this happen. Bullies need to be sent to juvenile detention and some school staffs need to face criminal charges.

It's very inappropriate to mix the two incidents together.
Why would #2 be justified criminal profiling? A welfare check given the conditions, yes. But suspicion of criminal activity? Why?

Old 03-08-2021, 05:41 PM

9,747 posts, read 6,387,344 times
I noticed these too in some random non Texas related threads on reddit. There's actually a third one too.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:12 PM

158 posts, read 657,165 times
#2 Not a crime to walk from work without a coat on. Young people are stubborn about coats and gloves around here. Hoodies only. The police seemed insulted that they were "just trying to help" and he wouldn't accept it. Kid said he was almost home and he was very clearly scared. They should've just followed him in the car until he was safely at home without the hassle. Arrest was so unnecessary and just validated his fear of police. What a shame.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:16 PM

828 posts, read 408,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Gee I wonder If high school kids ever pick on each other.

Surely they don't beat each other up or start fights in Black or Hispanic neighborhoods.
No usually just shoot each other. Stats show 6 times more violent crimes in those areas

Old 03-08-2021, 06:40 PM

578 posts, read 472,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblu View Post
#2 Not a crime to walk from work without a coat on. Young people are stubborn about coats and gloves around here. Hoodies only. The police seemed insulted that they were "just trying to help" and he wouldn't accept it. Kid said he was almost home and he was very clearly scared. They should've just followed him in the car until he was safely at home without the hassle. Arrest was so unnecessary and just validated his fear of police. What a shame.
It was not 20F, it was ZERO with deep snow. Walking in zero degree weather with an T-shirt, he could lose consciousness and die very soon. If he is "kids" then his "parent(s)" needs to be thrown to jail for child abuse.

And how do you know for certain it's unnecessary. He could be trying to commit suicide. He could be overdosed and lost capacity, could be just robbed or assaulted. Maybe he witnessed some other criminal activates and was running away. Maybe he is the bad guy.

It's just that PPD has a well-equipped manpower, responding to all the calls. DPD wouldn't even show up two hours after your car was smashed.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:03 PM

19,514 posts, read 17,753,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
These 2 regularly have differing viewpoints on racism and racist incidents. From migrants looking for a better life are nothing more than dirty Mexican Covid spreaders to their beliefs that slavery was not the top reason for Texas seceding from the union. So it's really not a surprise they have no issue with these incidents. (For example, the teen walking home was wearing pants, not shorts like he came from working out. But that's how misinformation gets spread to make it look like the Black teen was a threat.)
I thought about ignoring your post as it doesn't apply to me well but in the end weakness took over.

FWIIW I look like a Northern European.
1. One of my grandmothers was Mexican....the other significantly Mexican.
2. One of my grandfathers was a melange of black, Choctaw and Sioux.....he looked a lot like Jay Silverheels.
2.1. Given the above my mother is significantly AI + Mexican and looks it.
3. My first wife was black.
4. My 23andMe profile reads like a UN convention with an outsized twist of Neanderthal, no kidding.

I'll give you the teen walking home was in long pants which I mistook for warmups. But other than that you are are full of beans. He was wearing a tee-shirt in roughly 0F weather.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:10 PM

40,920 posts, read 48,877,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I thought about ignoring your post as it doesn't apply to me well but in the end weakness took over.

FWIIW I look like a Northern European.
1. One of my grandmothers was Mexican....the other significantly Mexican.
2. One of my grandfathers was a melange of black, Choctaw and Sioux.....he looked a lot like Jay Silverheels.
2.1. Given the above my mother is significantly AI + Mexican and looks it.
3. My first wife was black.
4. My 23andMe profile reads like a UN convention with an outsized twist of Neanderthal, no kidding.
I don't believe many people understand the relationship Texas has had with Mexico over the last 300 years. Many of the kids I grew up with and have worked with all our lives are Hispanic. My sister is married to a man from Mexico. This is not a race issue.

Old 03-08-2021, 08:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,306,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I don't know anything about your item number 1.

Regarding number two in hindsight taking the young man home* or to the station and calling the parents - without booking the kid - might have been a better move. However, it was less than 10 degrees, pitch dark and the kid was dressed like he had been working out and he was certainly non-compliant in the legal sense. Had the cops let the kid go and he died on the way home or suffered serious injury, neither is far fetched given conditions (and FWIIW agitation can be sign of hypothermia), you can bet your life the kid's family would be suing right now and observers would be screaming.

*There's some indication the kid wouldn't/couldn't tell the police his home address.

If the young man was my kid I'd prefer he end up spending a night in jail over a very high risk walk home.
It wasn't a very high risk walk at home. He didn't live far from work. Traffic was nonexistent. The poiice inquired and he reponded he was ok. They then assumed he was worthy of arrest! if he became belligerent, then his welfare is on him. But arrest was unwarranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas