Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2021, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 14,160 times

Advertisements

According to the lease agreement if we break a lease we need to pay penalty fees apart from a 60 day notice. Does the Texas landlord's duty to mitigate law include waiving the penalty if the unit is rented out to another tenant? Is there any other way to avoid the penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:41 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,840,970 times
You agreed to the penalty so, no there is no way to a avoid it. The landlords duty to mitigate does not waive or lessen the penalty.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:06 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,085,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthy View Post
According to the lease agreement if we break a lease we need to pay penalty fees apart from a 60 day notice. Does the Texas landlord's duty to mitigate law include waiving the penalty if the unit is rented out to another tenant? Is there any other way to avoid the penalty?
You can dispute the enforceability of the terms of any contract including a lease agreement. So start there. It is not unheard of for people to throw anything that sticks into a contract knowing full well that it is contradictory or unenforceable. Of course, the amount of money you are out should be a factor in whether this is worth your efforts.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:03 PM

588 posts, read 487,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthy View Post
Well, if it’s in the contract, you need to pay.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:08 PM

1,038 posts, read 878,263 times
A contract is only as enforceable as the attorney fighting for or against it.

Old 03-12-2021, 02:39 AM

1,451 posts, read 1,491,923 times
I don't think you'll win that fight.
Apartments are excellent at separating tenants from their deposits and fees and charges.
However they'll do that because you are breaking your contract.
Many apartments don't have an early out.
Our normal house leasing contract does not have an early out clause.
Many apartments will enforce the full term of the lease, or at least try to that.
I can't tell you how many people I get that want to buy a house and break their lease. Every time I tell them to go back and check with their landlord about terminating early, and they almost always stay until the end of the term.

Old 03-12-2021, 11:42 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,414,285 times
That is a tough one. Been through a very similar situation. The penalty will be waived the day new tenant moves into your apartment till then you are on the hook. I didn't have to pay any penalties but had to pay 1200$ reletting fee upfront for them to start looking for other candidates and I gave them 80 days of notice. I was constantly monitoring the website so at one point my apartment was off-listed and put back on after 2 weeks. I was under impression it was taken by someone but that person had changed their mind. The clause didn't mention anything about someone changing their mind after having signed the leased so I used that against them the fact it was once leased so I should be off the hook. They then tried to charge me for stove and stuff but I had pictures prior to moving into the apartment so walked away with having owed nothing.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:02 PM

588 posts, read 487,636 times
It’s not worth getting a dent on credit history or trouble/attorney fee for court fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: