Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 01:19 PM

948 posts, read 1,139,677 times

Advertisements

The master bedroom gets real hot some nights especially when it’s hot outside. Thinking about installing some sort of roof vent. The attic space is not accessible hence something not power driven is desirable. What are my options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 02:12 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
No A/C in your bedroom? Vaulted ceiling? No insulation?
Floor vent not sufficient?

Here are your options:
https://myroofhub.com/materials/roof...c-ventilation/
Soffit vents for intake and a ridge vent for exhaust is probably your best option.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:19 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
The master bedroom gets real hot some nights especially when it’s hot outside. Thinking about installing some sort of roof vent. The attic space is not accessible hence something not power driven is desirable. What are my options?
Before you go that direction. Does the bedroom have a return air vent and an air supply vent?....As the master it should have both.

Assuming you haven't tried this.....switch the HVAC fan "on" for a few nights.

ETA - it's very unlikely but the first time you leave the fan on for a long time make sure no condensation water develops on the supply vents.

Last edited by EDS_; 05-08-2021 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-08-2021, 02:21 PM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Plus - install ceiling fan.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:23 PM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Plus - install ceiling fan.
I'd install a ceiling fan long before some sort of passive venting that'll do little to nothing to improve sleeping comfort.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:44 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:

When you say the attic space is not accessible do you mean you have a vaulted/raised ceiling that has the ceiling gypsum board (drywall) attached almost directly to rafters leaving no attic space at all?

Old 05-08-2021, 05:21 PM

I have central HVAC, not vaulted ceiling, already have ceiling fan as well.
I do have the supply vent but no return vent in master bedroom. I believe there is a return vent right outside the room on the ceiling (16x20) but the bedroom doors are left closed at night.
The master bedroom is in the main floor and sloping roof above, so there is not much accessible space on the attic and extremely difficult to get there if even possible from the second floor attic entry.

Walking around the outside of the room, I noticed there are two soffit vents on the under side of the roof on one wall but no attic vents near by. The closest one is above the family room which is next to bedroom. I was thinking about adding another box vent on master.

But I do have a leaky exterior window in the master. The glass is off the frame and hence there is a small gap in between, not sure if that causes a considerable temperature hike.

Old 05-08-2021, 05:55 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,411,991 times
Quote:
I have central HVAC, not vaulted ceiling, already have ceiling fan as well.
I do have the supply vent but no return vent in master bedroom. I believe there is a return vent right outside the room on the ceiling (16x20) but the bedroom doors are left closed at night.
The master bedroom is in the main floor and sloping roof above, so there is not much accessible space on the attic and extremely difficult to get there if even possible from the second floor attic entry.

Walking around the outside of the room, I noticed there are two soffit vents on the under side of the roof on one wall but no attic vents near by. The closest one is above the family room which is next to bedroom. I was thinking about adding another box vent on master.

But I do have a leaky exterior window in the master. The glass is off the frame and hence there is a small gap in between, not sure if that causes a considerable temperature hike.

The window issue should not be causing a large problem you speak of. Two more questions for you.
  • Do you have an HVAC thermostat in the bedroom/master suite? If not then where is the thermostat that controls conditioned air for the master? How far away from the master is it?
  • Where is the master located? By that I mean what direction or directions do its outside walls face?

Old 05-08-2021, 06:07 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Half your problem is you close your doors at night. You are not getting airflow. Pretty simple, leave the door open or put a grill in the door. Door open is best.

Have you had your AC serviced and balanced?

Newer homes would have that return air grill inside the bedroom. And get that window fixed.

Old 05-09-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
The window issue should not be causing a large problem you speak of. Two more questions for you.
  • Do you have an HVAC thermostat in the bedroom/master suite? If not then where is the thermostat that controls conditioned air for the master? How far away from the master is it?
  • Where is the master located? By that I mean what direction or directions do its outside walls face?
The thermostat is right outside the bedroom. But I can control it through my smart phone. The master bedroom walls face north east and southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: