Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 08:02 AM

625 posts, read 666,888 times

Advertisements

Families have been home schooling for years. This is nothing new and many families love/flourish in a virtual/home schooling format. And they get their socialization through extracurriculars, church, scouts, etc. I mean - its definitely not right for my family, but let's be honest the concept of learning from home is not new.

What is new here is allowing public schools to be taught virtually. I know if I was so inclined - I probably wouldn't do it through the public school district, but rather through an established online learning academy.

That said - DISD is also starting a hybrid virtual school this Fall. It will be a few days in-person and a few days at home. I guess the best of both worlds for those families that can schedule it. https://thehub.dallasisd.org/2021/01...day-on-campus/

Its not for me - but judging from some parents on local parent facebook sites...some families have been loving virtual learning and can't wait to continue it. To each, their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 08:33 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,237,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AajMom View Post
Katana I hear you, and I guess to each their own - I’m a SAHM as well snd my husband works from home but for us finishing early has led only to more screens in our kids’ lives. Maybe it’s different there where the kids can go to a park or ride a bike (can’t really do that here because of our other social ills) and our after school activities have been mostly virtual as well so that is indeed a huge difference. I think lack of socialization- even negative socialization, which teaches us to deal with difficult interactions in a healthy way - is contributing to the destruction of society as we know it. But I am aware that is a political discussion and I respect that others have a different view. You make a good point that after school activities offer that socialization and I am perhaps a little jaded by the total lack of in person options I have had for my kids in the last year.

Yes, if we didn't have outlets for our daughter to have social interaction, we'd want her to go back to in-person, as she's an only child. Her social circle was already fairly small, so this is the biggest issue we have during the pandemic. There are friends that she facetimes and "plays" with in her playroom, they'll play dolls, etc, but it's not the same as having a friend there in person. She has friends who have the game Animal Crossing and they visit each other's islands and facetime while doing it, but again, not the same.

Several of her friends moved away just before the pandemic hit, so she only has 2-3 friends still local that we can plan things with. But... who knows. Kids can be very resilient and I'm hopeful they'll be able to bounce back. I've heard from a lot of parents that their kids are depressed... I imagine with older kids the pandemic seems like being grounded for a year through no fault of their own.

Old 04-25-2021, 09:03 AM

138 posts, read 216,569 times
Districts are launching these to give people options not as the main model of schooling.

In large part it’s an attempt to fend off district enrollment declines. If someone wants to homeschool or virtual school their children and Frisco doesn’t have an option for that they lose that family and the funding that goes with it.

Enrollment declines/issues are going to be an ongoing problem an on going problem for several years.

Districts will be dealing with the educational/academic fallout of the pandemic for the next decade.

Old 04-25-2021, 11:47 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,083,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
Districts are launching these to give people options not as the main model of schooling.

In large part it’s an attempt to fend off district enrollment declines. If someone wants to homeschool or virtual school their children and Frisco doesn’t have an option for that they lose that family and the funding that goes with it.

Enrollment declines/issues are going to be an ongoing problem an on going problem for several years.

Districts will be dealing with the educational/academic fallout of the pandemic for the next decade.
I can't speak with any personal experience on this, but based on my reading, declines will be compounded by issues already leading to anticipated enrollment declines in McKinney before the pandemic. Besides the decline in birth rates, homes in the district are drastically more expensive than typical starter homes, and fewer families with young children will be able to move there.

Old 04-26-2021, 11:54 AM

79 posts, read 74,556 times
Horrible option.

Teachers (some) are happy, they do not need to deal with kids at school.
Parents (some) are happy, less responsibility, they do not need to drop/pick up kids.

Kids are gonna suffer and no one advocates for them.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:37 PM

625 posts, read 666,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisekar View Post
Horrible option.

Teachers (some) are happy, they do not need to deal with kids at school.
Parents (some) are happy, less responsibility, they do not need to drop/pick up kids.

Kids are gonna suffer and no one advocates for them.
While it would be a horrible option for my kids (And most that I know), it has its strong advocates and NOT because its 'easier' for parents. I know some kids who hate attending school due to extreme bullying, inability to focus due to classroom distractions, etc. Other kids like homes schooling because they can get through their assignments much quicker without distractions and/or the fluff time that is built into the school day. Some kids are the verge of dropping out and would prefer online school.

Don't presume there is a one-size fits all approach and the trend in education is to give more choice options. Be them STEM, public montessori and/or single gender, TAG, etc. I see virtual as just a different options for families..we will see how many actually elect to join it.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:33 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,644 times
I wouldn't choose this for my children, but as texstout posted, it has been good for SOME kids. As long as they dedicate teachers to this and don't require in person teachers to instruct the online learners and the taxpayers want it- go for it. My district already offers this for grades 5-12 through IUniversity Prep. I have subbed a lot over the past 6 months and trying to bring in the online kids is clunky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas