Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 1,366 times

Advertisements

We just did this exploration a few weeks ago as I work now in LA for a firm based in downtown Dallas. Our budget is also similar. I grew up in Carrollton.

In short, Richardson, Lake Highlands, and Lakewood are your best bets. We also like Preston Hollow, but requires more budget and the school selection is different (mostly private). There also is a new community called Mercer Crossing in west Carrollton that might work off Luna.

I would not do Plano anymore - the tollway commute is just too tough now.

fyi, Lake Highlands was our favorite spot. We like the location and price point. It was very neighborhoody with lots of support for LHHS on lawns. Funny as I never even went to that area of Dallas growing up there in the mid-90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2021, 09:47 AM

565 posts, read 557,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I think a very desirable high school with decent proximity to downtown is Richardson’s J.J. Pearce HS. Your realtor can do a search by high school.
JJ Pearce with the Topic creators budget (800K) would get him a great house in Canyon Creek, Prairie Creek, or the Reservation. All 3 are extremely desireable older tree lined neighborhoods that are seeing tons of tear down activity

Commute would be good since your south of George Bush and you could even take the Arapaho Station dart train to get to downtown if you didn't want to deal with traffic/driving (Arapaho Station to downtown would be 27-31 minutes depending on which downtown stop you get off on)

Old 04-26-2021, 01:06 PM

7 posts, read 12,347 times
Hi texstout,

Would your neighbor mind if you forwarded me her webpage/contact/VRBO info about the short term rental house? We are thinking this is a better path for us considering the circumstances. Thanks so much for all the advice and information. I have explored other areas in Dallas and it has been quite enlightening. Thanks again!

Old 04-26-2021, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 12,347 times
Thanks DJ_Roch! Was there a particular area you liked in Richardson? We are hoping to be visiting in a month or so. Although, circumstances could mean moving in a month or so.

Not sure when you are moving, but I will keep you up on our adventure, maybe it can help you. Seems like we are looking for something similar.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:00 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,365,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post

2. Lake Highlands - Specifically check out the White Rock Valley area. Very nice neighborhood with a short commute to downtown.
I would avoid White Rock Valley. You'll pay a $150,000 premium because the area is zoned to White Kids Elementary, er, White Rock Elementary. And the commute to downtown isn't any faster than that from parts of Lake Highland to the north that use Skillman rather than Northwest Highway.

I can leave Lake Highland High School at 8:40 and get to the Federal Courthouse by 9:00 a.m. Now, I can't park, walk to the front door of the courthouse, go through security (twice), and get to the courtroom by 9:00 a.m, but the drive is usually just less than 20 minutes.

There are lots of great neighborhoods inside 635 where you can find something nice in your price range. If you're commuting to downtown, there's no reason to live beyond 635 other than financial constraints that price you out of neighborhoods with good elementaries inside the loop.

P.S. -- There are a ton of public tennis courts in and around Lake Highlands, including 16 courts on Merriman Parkway and eight courts at the high school that are open to the public outside of school hours (and matches).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas