Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:53 AM

5 posts, read 48,337 times

Advertisements

Greetings! My name is Amy and I'm moving to North Richland Hills in 2.5 weeks from Orlando, FL. I just realized that Texas requires auto inspections before you can get tags in this state.

The question is.. do they inspect mechanical issues only, or do they go into body issues as well (I have illegal tint, 15% all the way around, and dont want to peel it off if I dont need to).

Also, I understand that when moving to Texas you have 30 days to change your license.. Would the process be Auto inspection, License then Tags? Or am I forgetting something? I already have my insurance, and will be transferring it to my new address, so thats done already.

Thanks for all the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 03:28 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
As for inspections Amy, they are mostly geared toward emission testing for smog, and safety such as brakes, steering, lights, etc. I don't know about the tinting, what's illegal in Fl may be legal in Texas (the sun is awful bright here!).

I don't know about the 30 days to change your license. That seems kind of fast. Anyone else know?
Welcome to Texas!

Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,464,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
As for inspections Amy, they are mostly geared toward emission testing for smog, and safety such as brakes, steering, lights, etc. I don't know about the tinting, what's illegal in Fl may be legal in Texas (the sun is awful bright here!).

I don't know about the 30 days to change your license. That seems kind of fast. Anyone else know?
Welcome to Texas!
When I lived in Dallas years ago, I recall something like the 30 day rule. And I think you had to get your inspection and insurance first, so you could then go get your license/tags.

One thing which was a drag then was that it took them 4-6 weeks to mail you your license.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:24 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
According to DPS (Department of Public Safety) you have 30 days to secure a Texas license.

Quote:
1) I am new to Texas, what do I need to do in order to get a Texas license?

A new resident moving into Texas who has a valid driver license from his home state, has 30 days after entry into the state to secure a Texas driver license. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and present and do the following: Texas Transportation Code 521.029.

New residents previously licensed in another state:

Proof of Identity.
Proof of Social Security Number.
Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance, if you own a vehicle.
Complete required forms available at any Texas Driver License office.
Pay the required fee.
Pass the vision exam.

Application must include photograph and thumbprints; however, thumbprints are not included on the driver license.

If you have a VALID out-of-state license in your possession, please bring it to the driver license office to surrender.

NOTE: If you have an EXPIRED out-of-state license, you will be required to pass both the written and driving* exams, in addition to a vision test.

* Applicant must provide vehicle.1
As you can see, you'll need to already have you car registered.

Quote:
I just moved to Texas. How do I register my vehicle?

Your vehicle must first pass a vehicle safety inspection and an inspection of the vehicle identification number. These services are available at a state-approved Safety Inspection Station. The inspection facility will provide you with a Vehicle Identification Certificate (Form VI-30-A). You must submit this form to the county tax office along with an application for certificate of title. Title and registration fees are due at the county tax office at the time the application for title is made. Liability insurance is required in Texas before these services are provided. 2

1http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/faq/answers_dl_id.htm#q1 (broken link)

2http://www.tarrantcounty.com/etax/cw...A=765&Q=431091

Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM

5 posts, read 48,337 times
Thanks! It would have been an aggravating day otherwise!

Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 AM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,174 times
I registered my car here recently and it was a breeze. California makes this process feel like a cattle call. I was amazed at how fast/simple it was.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:40 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
I am going through the very same thing, as I just moved to San Antonio. But apparently Texas honors my VA inspection as long as it hasn't expired, so I am okay with that. See if there is reciprocity(sp?) between FL and TX.

Good Luck.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,143 times
Actually maybe I am wrong. This website confused me:

Out-of-state Motorists

Seems like you have to be a resident of TX or something.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM

6,796 posts, read 14,018,392 times
This may sound strange but go to a trashy gas station to get your inspection done. More than likely they won't take the time to check your window tint. The worst the place looks the less they will check on your car on average. The sticker will be the exact same.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:43 PM

80 posts, read 247,948 times
We just moved over the summer and it's a bit of a hassle to get everything square. Before you get your license (30days) you need to register your car. The inspection is for safety items and it cost us $35. Then we go to the transportation office and register the car, then to get your license you need two forms of ID like passport and out of state license,car registration,proof of insurance. It took us an entire day with alot of back and forth...good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas