Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 12:26 PM

702 posts, read 2,723,676 times

Advertisements

I think some buyers aren’t being realistic with where the market is. We had to pay seller’s title policy and pretty much buy our new house as-is. There is no room for negotiating as a buyer right now. We had identical offers with one asking for our refrigerator (it was on the exclusion list), so guess who got the house. You can’t be like that! A shorter option period and larger option fee also sets you apart from all the other offers.

Last edited by Texan#1; 05-18-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2021, 01:14 PM

28 posts, read 30,383 times
Attached Thumbnails
House Prices Are Going Up Because Everyone Is Moving Here-north-texes-sfh-price-trend.png  

Old 05-20-2021, 06:53 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
What makes you say this is all Covid? If that were the case, then things would now have calmed down instead of heating up. If it's due to recovery, then we might expect this to happen as the backlog of buyers dries up. There are likely more than enough people waiting though to the point that it could not ease up unless people stop wanting to move at all.

In any event, we have no data to back up what's driving the demand or to what extent. People move for many different reasons. I don't quite get why supply does not equal demand because people have to be moving from somewhere, and I haven't seen evidence of an equally mass exodus.

I don't know about Frisco. It's possible people in some parts of the city will flee as they get fed up with the traffic patterns that make getting anywhere impossible. In general though, Texas does an abysmal job on its roads and highways. It's almost to the point of a third world country.
Where else have you lived? How long have you lived in Texas, and specifically, DFW? I've lived on the east coast and visited pretty all regions. I've been in DFW 20 years and can say with certainty, the road infrastructure has expanded here far more than what I saw in DC, Philly, Atlanta and NYC. Two Beltways, new bridges, interchanges, road widening have all been completed here in the same time none of that has occurred on a similar scale this century in those other cities. That's on top of the expanded rail system.

Old 05-20-2021, 09:21 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Where else have you lived? How long have you lived in Texas, and specifically, DFW? I've lived on the east coast and visited pretty all regions. I've been in DFW 20 years and can say with certainty, the road infrastructure has expanded here far more than what I saw in DC, Philly, Atlanta and NYC. Two Beltways, new bridges, interchanges, road widening have all been completed here in the same time none of that has occurred on a similar scale this century in those other cities. That's on top of the expanded rail system.

Quote:
I've never driven on a Texas highway (or rollercoasters, as I call them) or access road in my life, and I never will. They are not for the faint of heart, and I am faint of heart.

I have no idea why he continues to share his opinions on DFW traffic and roads when he's never even driven on them.

Not too many places can claim to have a road system as nice as we have, as they either lack space for major expansion, have to deal with rivers/bridges everywhere, or simply don't have the tax base we do for expansion projects.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
I drive on the roads all the time. I've lived here all of my adult life, and I know exactly what I'm talking about. My whole family and pretty much everyone I know that drives on those monstrous roller coasters has said the same thing.

The roads and the streets have too high a speed limit for the volume of traffic and developments on them. The rollercoasters are too fast to be so loopy and stacked so high curving in multiple directions leading one never to know where he or she is going. I don't know how people figure it out at such a high rate of speed. My dad drives on those all the time and always has problems until he gains experience with it, and then they change signs and lanes all over again. The signs are all in the wrong places. They point to something in one direction when it's the opposite and they post of lane closures and forced turns that never happen while failing to post signs where they do. Road "repairs" happen where they are not needed and not where they are. Roads are missing or not expanded where they should be and they are built up where they don't need to be. It's a mess. If even the speed limits were cut, it would go a long way to solving the problems. Several intersections have forced turn lanes that will force you onto the rollercoaster, and there isn't any warning, or there is a warning and it turns out to not be correct.

To the contrary, I don't think anyone in TxDOT management or leadership has ever driven their roads or highways. I don't think they could even pass a driver's license exam.

Frisco is bad because the streets are so congested. I've never driven along Main or Eldorado not to get tied up in some traffic jam backed up multiple intersections at all hours all days. The western portion (west of Preston) has excessive speed limits to boot.

380 is a death trap. That thing is horrifying. How businesses and housing developments are allowed to build there with that as their only entrance or exit (and no signal) and cities are OK with a 50-60 mph speed limit is beyond me. And people will fall over themselves to plunk down $1M+ to live there (which can't be quiet).

I've been to California multiple times. They planned their roads, and they maintain them. They should be setting an example. It's one thing they do very well there. From my visits there, LA traffic was not ever as bad as it is and was in Dallas.

There's more, but that's just a start.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:06 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
From my visits there, LA traffic was not ever as bad as it is and was in Dallas.
LOL, that's rich!!! Now I know FOR SURE you don't know what you're talking about!!!

Old 05-20-2021, 02:08 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
I drive on the roads all the time. I've lived here all of my adult life, and I know exactly what I'm talking about. My whole family and pretty much everyone I know that drives on those monstrous roller coasters has said the same thing.

The roads and the streets have too high a speed limit for the volume of traffic and developments on them. The rollercoasters are too fast to be so loopy and stacked so high curving in multiple directions leading one never to know where he or she is going. I don't know how people figure it out at such a high rate of speed. My dad drives on those all the time and always has problems until he gains experience with it, and then they change signs and lanes all over again. The signs are all in the wrong places. They point to something in one direction when it's the opposite and they post of lane closures and forced turns that never happen while failing to post signs where they do. Road "repairs" happen where they are not needed and not where they are. Roads are missing or not expanded where they should be and they are built up where they don't need to be. It's a mess. If even the speed limits were cut, it would go a long way to solving the problems. Several intersections have forced turn lanes that will force you onto the rollercoaster, and there isn't any warning, or there is a warning and it turns out to not be correct.

To the contrary, I don't think anyone in TxDOT management or leadership has ever driven their roads or highways. I don't think they could even pass a driver's license exam.

Frisco is bad because the streets are so congested. I've never driven along Main or Eldorado not to get tied up in some traffic jam backed up multiple intersections at all hours all days. The western portion (west of Preston) has excessive speed limits to boot.

380 is a death trap. That thing is horrifying. How businesses and housing developments are allowed to build there with that as their only entrance or exit (and no signal) and cities are OK with a 50-60 mph speed limit is beyond me. And people will fall over themselves to plunk down $1M+ to live there (which can't be quiet).

I've been to California multiple times. They planned their roads, and they maintain them. They should be setting an example. It's one thing they do very well there. From my visits there, LA traffic was not ever as bad as it is and was in Dallas.

There's more, but that's just a start.

I can't ever tell if you are serious or dredging the boards. That bit about LA v. Dallas traffic proves you either don't know what you are talking about or you are making things up. If you use hours stuck in traffic LA is almost twice as bad as Dallas. If you use miles travel per hour in traffic LA is only a little better than twice as bad.

Literally no one who has driven out there and here much is going to believe you.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...-l/1088205001/

https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/wor...es-america/17/

Old 05-20-2021, 02:10 PM

Sigh. You drive on residential roads and cross streets, no major highways or tollways, dealing with stoplights and traffic all the time... by choice. I'd be annoyed with TX traffic too if 100% of the driving experience I had consisted of a stoplight every block.

But you have no idea how bad traffic is in other states (try driving into Manhattan during rush hour over the bridge, and that's the ONLY route you can take) and then you'd know that TxDOT has done a great job managing traffic conditions vs population growth vs other cities. (If you think LA traffic is better than ours, you're making my point for me.)

Old 05-20-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
LOL, that's rich!!! Now I know FOR SURE you don't know what you're talking about!!!

I know. This was the guy who argued long and hard with me that you can't make it to the airport from McKinney in ~30 min, only to later admit that his example didn't use 121, no tollroads, and was twice as long a route.

Old 05-20-2021, 02:31 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julio july View Post
lol, that's rich!!! Now i know for sure you don't know what you're talking about!!!
100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas