Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 10:02 PM

22 posts, read 37,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debtex View Post
We have had our kids attend 2 different private schools in Dallas. I know parents from across the political spectrum at both schools, and I've had parents incorrectly assume I agree with their views at both.

I know what my convictions are and don't shy away from expressing them to people who don't agree (in an uncombative way.) If you don't feel comfortable doing that, the problem isn't other people.
It is hard for me to illustrate the extent of the situation here without disclosing too many details, but the culture of this school is that EVERYONE is liberal. It's not a matter of standing up for oneself. It is a single-culture school with simply no tolerance for diversity. I think it would be a disservice to my kids to keep them in such an environment.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Quote:
I know what my convictions are and don't shy away from expressing them to people who don't agree (in an uncombative way.) If you don't feel comfortable doing that, the problem isn't other people.
I would have agreed with your last statement 5 years ago. The extreme right GOP has lurched even farther to the right since then, and OP is correct in that if he strongly identifies with the most extreme beliefs in that fringe (The Big Lie about the election, Jan 6th insurrection, “Chinavirus” hoax, Q-Anon beliefs, etc), it’s going to close a lot of doors socially in Dallas if he discloses that.

According to a recently released poll, 23% of Republicans believe “the government, media and financial worlds in the U.S. are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex-trafficking operation.” 28% agree that there is a “storm coming soon,” which will “sweep away the elites in power and restore the rightful leaders.” 40% say their “most trusted news source” is faaaaar right networks like Newsmax and OAN. These people are not steeped in reality and while these beliefs may play well in small town America and bright red suburbia, they are ridiculed in most educated circles.

This is sooo far to the right from what were traditional GOP values like pro-life, low tax, low regulation, pro 2A, etc. I’m not saying OP believes in lies and conspiracy theories but if that is the type of “conservative” beliefs he holds, I wouldn’t recommend disclosing that either. And to that, he will find plenty of like minded people in the small suburban Christian private schools like McKinney Christian, Wylie Christian, etc.

If he is a traditional Republican, then it sounds like he is at a school like Greenhill and would fit in better at a more conservative school like a First Baptist or TCA, except for his other criteria of not vaccinating his kids.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:42 PM

440 posts, read 993,556 times
The OANN/QAnon/Big Lie proponents can't disclose their beliefs in educated circles because they can't defend them with facts and logic. Not ”steeped in reality” covers it pretty well.

There should be no mystery that people who value education enough to shell out big bucks for their kids to go to the non-denominational privates are not going to themselves indulge in these conspiratorial fever dreams. And take a dim view of those that do.

Old 05-31-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would have agreed with your last statement 5 years ago. The extreme right GOP has lurched even farther to the right since then, and OP is correct in that if he strongly identifies with the most extreme beliefs in that fringe (The Big Lie about the election, Jan 6th insurrection, “Chinavirus” hoax, Q-Anon beliefs, etc), it’s going to close a lot of doors socially in Dallas if he discloses that.

According to a recently released poll, 23% of Republicans believe “the government, media and financial worlds in the U.S. are controlled by a group of Satan-worshipping pedophiles who run a global child sex-trafficking operation.” 28% agree that there is a “storm coming soon,” which will “sweep away the elites in power and restore the rightful leaders.” 40% say their “most trusted news source” is faaaaar right networks like Newsmax and OAN. These people are not steeped in reality and while these beliefs may play well in small town America and bright red suburbia, they are ridiculed in most educated circles.

This is sooo far to the right from what were traditional GOP values like pro-life, low tax, low regulation, pro 2A, etc. I’m not saying OP believes in lies and conspiracy theories but if that is the type of “conservative” beliefs he holds, I wouldn’t recommend disclosing that either. And to that, he will find plenty of like minded people in the small suburban Christian private schools like McKinney Christian, Wylie Christian, etc.

If he is a traditional Republican, then it sounds like he is at a school like Greenhill and would fit in better at a more conservative school like a First Baptist or TCA, except for his other criteria of not vaccinating his kids.
Your last paragraph about sums it up. We are pretty traditional Republicans, definitely not far right. But we are also not Christian, and worry about being the odd ones out in a Christian school. The vaccines add an additional layer of complication.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,095,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
Your last paragraph about sums it up. We are pretty traditional Republicans, definitely not far right. But we are also not Christian, and worry about being the odd ones out in a Christian school. The vaccines add an additional layer of complication.
Hmm... Does it have to be a private school? There are tons of families just like yours all over the north suburbs - in Frisco, Prosper, Allen, Lovejoy ISD. And also in Colleyville, Southlake, etc.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:06 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,088,526 times
Quote:

It's absolutely bonkers. It's almost as nuts as the stuff about believing Bill Gates was trying to inject tracking devices through the Covid vaccine.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:14 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,171,494 times
Quote:
Hmm... Does it have to be a private school? There are tons of families just like yours all over the north suburbs - in Frisco, Prosper, Allen, Lovejoy ISD. And also in Colleyville, Southlake, etc.

Yes, and since public schools are no longer required to teach "current events" they should be a "safe space."

Old 05-31-2021, 11:15 PM

440 posts, read 993,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwanon View Post
We know plenty of traditional Republicans at our school who have no issue being open about their political leanings. I will say, though, I think they're all vaccinated.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Not happy with the quality of education at public schools.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
We know plenty of traditional Republicans at our school who have no issue being open about their political leanings. I will say, though, I think they're all vaccinated.
May I ask what school you are at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas