Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating to Texas: transplants, real estate, investing, cost of living, housing, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM

105 posts, read 338,447 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I think Austin area would be most like Brazil land and weather-wise, but it's definitely very humid there as opposed to in Dallas.

And they don't say "packie" or "bubbler" or "wickid" or "pissah" in TX and won't have a clue what you're talking about (but since you're from Brazil, you may not say those anyway.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 07:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMee View Post
Oh, and I think Austin area would be most like Brazil land and weather-wise, but it's definitely very humid there as opposed to in Dallas.
Brazil is one of the largest countries in the world and thus it's geography is very diverse. We always think of Brazil being heavily forested, but it's national capital sits in the midst of a semi-arid region which resembles West Texas or Eastern Colorado. Another geographically unique region is southern Brazil where there are vast open grasslands, or "pampas", dotted with clumps of trees and streams. Just like Dallas, it also has a humid, subtropical climate. This is the region where a lot of good beef comes from and the popular "chrurrascaria" type of cooking by grill orginated. Restaurants such as Fogo de Chao and Texas de Brazil base their cuisines on this region.

Brazilian Pampas

Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 24,712 times
houston vs boston? i got two job offers, one in natick, ma, the other one in boston. about the same pay. my wife are currently living in NE, and we love to go to boston, but the living cost (house price) scared us, but it is still very appealing to us. where should we go?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,431,714 times
If I were to ever move back to Texas ( I grew up in the Dallas Fort Worth area), I would live in the San Antonio-Austin area.

I love floating the Gaudalupe River in New Braunfels and they also have a wonderful water park there.

You will love the lower house prices in Texas as well. I was watching a real estate show and was shocked to see what you could be with $250,000 in Texas.

Good luck with your move, the people of Texas are wonderful and I think you enjoy your time there. If you want to have fun outside, you need to get a boat and go and play on the local lakes like so many people do.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:21 PM

257 posts, read 946,038 times
I have lived in Austin, Dallas and Houston areas. From what you describe, I would check into Austin/San Antonio areas. There is alot of development going on in Southern Austin, so you could live halfway between the two cities. San Antonio has alot of Latin culture. I heard or read somewhere that roughly 75% of the population of San Antonio is Latin. It is a really nice city. Austin has a culture of its own as well. Someone said they thought the humidity in Austin was worse than in Dallas, but I found the opposite. I think Dallas has a very bland culture actually - sorry, just telling it like I see it. The home prices of Austin have been seriously driven up by all the Californians cashing in on their houses and moving to liberal Austin, so I think houses in Dallas are on the cheaper side. But come on, Austin is still cheap compared to Boston.

I think you would not be as happy in Dallas as in AUstin/San Antonio IMO. I don't find this place to be somewhere you enjoy "culture" or the outdoors.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:36 AM

937 posts, read 2,906,525 times
You lived in Plano right?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:38 PM

72 posts, read 257,722 times
I would move to the Dallas area. It's not as humid as Houston, but more humid than Phoenix.

If you live near a lake or body of water, there will be more critters - spiders and creepy crawlies than there would normally be and especially near new construction because they are digging up their homes. But, if you're in a more established area, you usually don't have any problems with them. If you do, there's always pest control. We are in Richardson right now and my son was out catching fireflies the other night at dusk having the best time. There are ladybugs out during the daytime and some catepillars and butterflies.

Dallas is a very entreprenuer friendly city. We have more restaurants in Addison per capita than New York City! Can you believe that? We love our pasta and Italian restaurants here. In Dallas, our two favorite passions are shopping and eating! According to Career Builder, an Executive Chef in Dallas at a restaurant or hotel makes around $60k on average. However, you could also do a job search to see how accurate that is. I know our housing market is also undervalued by about 30%. It's incredible what you can get here vs. what you can get on the E Coast for the same money.

There are many excellent schools here. Just depends on where you want to live in the metroplex as to where you would want to enroll your child.

Yes, there is a big Latin influence here. Lots of Latin culture. There are restaurants, Tejano (as they call it) music stations, people, Salsa dancing, Rhumba rooms, clothing, etc.

There is tons of green around. Our state flower is the bluebonnet and they are in full bloom right now. The spring was particularly rainy so everything is really lush and beautiful. There are many neighborhoods with beautiful tree lined streets with parks, and homes that back up to greenbelts and places for gardens.

There is the DART for transportation. We aren't as good about taking the rail as San Francisco or New York, for example. But, it is getting better and the DART is extending into outer areas and being planned to go further into Irving and other areas. Also, there are DART buses you can take.

Taxes are usually around 2 - 2.5% per $100 of appraised value of the home. It just depends on the city in which you live. You do get to write off your taxes and insurance off on your taxes, though.

Hope it helps,
Real Estate Diva

Old 05-26-2008, 10:23 PM

257 posts, read 946,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpepping View Post
You lived in Plano right?
Was that question for me? Yes, I currently live in West Plano. This is my second time moving to Dallas area though, and several years ago I lived in far East Plano. If you weren't asking me, sorry in advance.

I also lived in North Austin, in that Research area. And I have lived in the Galleria area of Houston,as well as Sugarland. I have been around, you could say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas