Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 09:57 PM

188 posts, read 376,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenaultcason View Post
My mistake, I know Conroe well but don't know Allen well, I'm not from DFW lol
No problem, my hubs was a postal worker in Conroe until just recently, so he literally knew every street in Conroe.

I worked off of 336 by Grand Central Park, so I knew some areas pretty well too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2021, 09:58 PM

188 posts, read 376,508 times
Quote:
What would Conroe be?
Greenville

Old 07-20-2021, 10:04 PM

313 posts, read 367,881 times
Or Sherman

Old 07-20-2021, 11:55 PM

5,613 posts, read 4,936,485 times
Conroe is now essentially a full suburb of Houston and part of the continuous sprawl, so Greenville and Sherman aren't really accurate. Conroe is more Mansfield with trees and a big man-made lake.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:25 PM

153 posts, read 110,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I would re-do most of the suburbs personally.

I would say Fulshear- Prosper is probably your closest comparison. It could also be the towns East of Plano like Wylie or Parker

But to me Mo-City is Cedar Hill maybe Mansfield
Sugar Land- Irving is good but I would probably throw in nearby Coppell or Grapevine instead. Plus Northern Irving just because SL, is slightly boujiee-er
Atascocita is definitely Flower Mound or maybe Rowlett/Garland
Memorial is more like Richardson (inner suburb vibe) although West Plano isn’t far off
Pasadena- Mesquite or Grand Prairie
Conroe has to be somewhere around the lakes in Dallas or Denton although from what I’ve heard Central Denton is significantly more developed than Central Conroe
Kingwood to me might be Allen
Frisco is close to South Katy, but to get that North Katy vs. South Katy dynamic Irving or Plano gets closest
River Oaks is Preston Hollow
West U/Bellaire is the Park Cities

Memorial Villages is Westlake/Southlake/Trophy Club area the only main difference is the development on I-10 is ridiculous but the actual neighborhoods/small cities pretty similar.
Cypress- Maybe Carrollton, probably throw in one or two to the nicer burbs bordering it since Cypress is huge.
Clear Lake- Lewisville

Spring/Klein- Arlington especially if we include all of Spring/Klein and the shadier areas of Arlington

Galveston is closest to Fort Worth in the DFW dichotomy but that’s a massive stretch imho. But it’s certainly closer than any of the immediate suburbs, maybe a specific neighborhood of Dallas or Fort Worth would be a better comparison.
Please stop disrespecting the City of Fort Worth like this. Only someone completely oblivious to FW would make a statement like that. Anything near Houston can safely be considered a suburb/area of Houston because the city of Houston is massive and things flow outward from it. DFW contains two massive, populated cities and things flow outward from each city's downtown. Galveston has 50,000 people and FW has just under 1 million. FW is the county seat of the 15th most populated county in the country with 2 million people. Since the question is asking for "Dallas" equivalents of Houston, FW shouldnt even enter your mind. FW is not a Dallas suburb or neighborhood. It's the 12th most populated city in the country for Christ sakes! It being mentioned in the same sentence as Galveston is absurd! Hell, people could give you some FW equivalents of both Dallas and Houston neighborhoods.

Old 07-23-2021, 03:43 PM

20 posts, read 24,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Please stop disrespecting the City of Fort Worth like this. Only someone completely oblivious to FW would make a statement like that. Anything near Houston can safely be considered a suburb/area of Houston because the city of Houston is massive and things flow outward from it. DFW contains two massive, populated cities and things flow outward from each city's downtown. Galveston has 50,000 people and FW has just under 1 million. FW is the county seat of the 15th most populated county in the country with 2 million people. Since the question is asking for "Dallas" equivalents of Houston, FW shouldnt even enter your mind. FW is not a Dallas suburb or neighborhood. It's the 12th most populated city in the country for Christ sakes! It being mentioned in the same sentence as Galveston is absurd! Hell, people could give you some FW equivalents of both Dallas and Houston neighborhoods.
What are the FW equivalents you’re referring to?

Old 07-23-2021, 04:47 PM

153 posts, read 110,395 times
Quote:
What are the FW equivalents you’re referring to?

Well for starters, any mention by anyone else about FW burbs would actually be the Fort Worth equivalent of what they are talking about.

So as stated by other posters:

Bellaire = west parts of FW.
Mo City = Mansfield
Memorial Village = Southlake, Westlake, Trophy Club
Spring/Klein = Arlington
Sugarland = Southlake
If Midtown 15years ago is Bishop Arts. Fairmont would fit the bill in FW.

And as far as FW equivalents to Dallas for future reference:

Fairmont = Bishop Arts
7th Street = Deep Ellum
Westover Hills = Highland Park
Rivercrest/Montserrat = Preston Hollow
Arlington Heights = M streets
West cliff = University Park
Downtown FW = Downtown Dallas
South FW outside the loop would be equivalent to Pearland/Friendswood or Dallas's Mesquite or Irving.

Hoods are similar:

E. Dallas or heavily Hispanic areas of Oak Cliff would be Northside/Diamond Hill in Fort Worth. That is your S. Houston/Pasadena area. Black areas of Oak Cliff would be FW's stop six area and parts of Houston's 3rd Ward.

There is no real equivalent for uptown. FW doesn't have a place that matches the population density in that urban environment. It's in the works though. That area will likely exist in between downtown and 7th street or it could exist adjacent to the trinity river project that they've been planning since forever.

I moved to Dallas proper from the Mid-Atlantic around 17 years ago. I had the same thoughts about FW back then and it was warranted. Since then, FW has changed tremendously. Most people that post about it are ignorant to that fact. There's no way it's a suburb of Dallas and it definitely is in no way comparable to a Galveston TX. FW and its burbs can hold its own against what most cities outside of the top 3-5 can offer its residents. Including Dallas. FW Zoo, Bass Performance Hall, Museum District, just to name a few.

Old 01-10-2022, 09:27 AM

73 posts, read 44,805 times
Memorial Village=Highland Park, University Park
Sugar Land=South Frisco/West Plano
Fulshear=Prosper
Huntsville=Sherman/Denison
Conroe=McKinney
Alief=Garland
Woodlands=Southlake/Trophy Club (except for the tall trees)

Old 01-10-2022, 05:05 PM

537 posts, read 449,667 times
Fort Worth is more like a twin city than a suburb. However, I do not see why anyone would split hairs over this though. We all live in the Metroplex.

Old 01-10-2022, 05:21 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,620,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLegend2000 View Post
Nigerian did admit the comparison was a stretch though. Personally I don’t think there’s an equivalent to either city for different reasons. Fort Worth is a medium size city that performs good on its own. It’s a legit city and not a suburb. It’s a city one can live comfortably in and have all the things Houston and Dallas have just on a smaller scale. It’s good enough. On the other hand, Galveston imo is one of the most unique cities in the state. Yeah it’s seen better days but there’s still no other city like it in the state. For a city with its population it punches above its weight imo. Galveston is too historic and too urban to be consider a suburb of Houston. It’s not a secondary city the way Fort Worth is but Galveston is its own thing. Ppl forget Galveston was the most urban city at one point in the state and those bones are still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas