Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 01:32 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
True, and seems like there might be more demand for it in DFW... The obesity problem is staggeringly noticeable even in the more affluent neighborhoods here. Sad to see even teens and kids who are significantly overweight. When in Chicago, I didn't see quite as many obese folks.
Having lived briefly in Chicago as part of my job, I actually ate a considerably higher calorie diet up there (Portillos and Lou Malnatis lol) but my weight didn't budge. Between hitting the gym and all the walking, my weight seemed to be more stable than expected given my intake.

I'd say that Dallas is more "extreme." We have more legit gym rats and athletes IMO but also more overweight and obese people. Chicago, it felt like everyone was more 'average-sized' if that makes any sense. Not as many freaks of nature but not many needing scooters in the grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 01:36 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
This is an excellent post. And Rick Bayless is a great chef, better at his job than Skip is at his.

Houston has a better variety of food than DFW but the latter is better for Beef, BBQ, Indian
Agreed. East Asian and anything West African is a definite plus for Houston versus anything in Dallas or Chicago.

Dallas and Houston have similar demographics but I do think they have a more entrenched Chinese community and a ton of high-achieving Nigerians that all seem to make their way to UT Austin for post-high school education. I'd like more options for getting some jollof rice and fried plantains. Dallas can get a little bogged down in burger joints, craft beer, nachos and margaritas.

Old 08-30-2021, 01:38 PM

21 posts, read 13,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
Chicago had 21 Michelin star restaurants in 2021 (compared to 68 in NYC). I am unaware of any in Dallas (which is a travesty!)
Well of course that is because there isn't a Michelin Guide for Dallas, not because there are not any fabulous restaurants in Dallas. The first Michelin stars in Chicago arrived in 2011.

However, that said, I personally find the best restaurants in Chicago to be superior than those in Dallas, but maybe the Michelin stars are clouding my judgement...

Old 09-04-2021, 04:46 PM

32 posts, read 33,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Most people I know think the deep dish pizza offered here is the same as Chicago pizza, which isn't true. I hate deep dish, but I love Chicago pizza.
Thank you for this. There are two different kinds of Chicago pizza. One of them is the "stuffed" two inch deep dish with a thick, soft bread crust.

The other, more common kind of Chicago pizza has a stiffer, thin crust that cannot be rolled up. It also has lots of sauce.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:13 PM

32 posts, read 33,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag King View Post
Thank you for this. There are two different kinds of Chicago pizza. One of them is the "stuffed" two inch deep dish with a thick, soft bread crust.

The other, more common kind of Chicago pizza has a stiffer, thin crust that cannot be rolled up. It also has lots of sauce.
Sorry, I could not figure out how to edit my older post, so here goes.......

Some people think deep dish pizza is disgusting, and that's ok. You will never get me anywhere near a Philly cheesesteak. I will always eat a Chicago beef sandwich instead. Since DFW is a huge metro area, there should be enough room for both New York and Chicago pizza restaurants.

Chicago pizza that is not deep dish: Do a google search for Aurelio's pizza. They will ship pizza all over the country. Superior quality to Rosati's by far. You cannot get more authentic than that.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:55 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
DFW does actually have a St. Louis pizza shop, too. 5th Street Pizza in Allen is legit. The guy is (of course) a St. Louis native, and they'll even do a provel salad. If you're one of the morons like me who thinks St. Louis style pizza is the best pizza in the world, it's worth a stop.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:16 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Another thing I have come to realize: In Chicago, most everything you need is in the city itself. In DFW, amenities are spread throughout the metroplex, so you often have to drive longer distances to get what you need.

Examples: The best Chinese food is in Plano, so if you live in Fort Worth, you have to drive all the way up there. Not very convenient.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:17 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Another thing I have come to realize: In Chicago, most everything you need is in the city itself. In DFW, amenities are spread throughout the metroplex, so you often have to drive longer distances to get what you need.

Examples: The best Chinese food is in Plano, so if you live in Fort Worth, you have to drive all the way up there. Not very convenient.
The best Chinese food is in Plano?

Old 09-19-2021, 03:03 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That’s pretty accurate actually. Richardson has some really good ones, but Plano has a larger number of quality Chinese options of different types. Nowhere else in the metroplex would match that overall area.

There is a real shortage of good authentic Chinese restaurants in the City of Dallas itself (much to my chagrin) and while I am sure there are plenty of options in places like Frisco and Southlake they all seem so generic to me.

Old 09-19-2021, 06:43 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Yes, actually, imo.

I dated a grad student from China a few years ago and whenever she wanted good, authentic Chinese food, we would go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas