Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2022, 08:28 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times

Advertisements

The murders in Chicago don't really affect you unless you are in a gang. That being said, there are a lot more serious crimes that happen in Chicago compared to Dallas. People in this thread have mentioned safe vs unsafe neighborhoods but the reality is that in Chicago, crime can happen just about anywhere. Carjackings have happened more in safe neighborhoods because the carjackers know they can get nicer cars in safe neighborhoods.

Just a few blocks from where I used to live (like a 10min walk from the police station), someone was carjacked at gunpoint and the carjacker decided to shoot the vehicle owner because he wasn't moving fast enough. The police never caught the guy. People also have been sitting in their apartment or car at a red light or sitting on the train minding their own business when a stray bullet comes in and ends their life. This type of thing rarely happens in Dallas.

One of the most frustrating things about Chicago, and another reason that I left is seeing a news article of someone who was arrested for committing murder who was out on bond for robbery and had a long rap sheet of violent crime. I have no idea why this person wasn't behind bars for life for the crimes already committed. The states attorney in Cook county is really into this dumb idea of restorative justice in Cook County and attempts to lower each felony to a misdemeanor, when possible. So let's say you get robbed at gunpoint and have your car stolen. More than likely, the perp is going to be charged with a simple trespassing charge and that's if they are caught.

It's not a good feeling knowing that someone can rob you at gunpoint, steal your car, and they will likely be back out on the streets the next day even if they are caught and arrested. If they do face jail time, it will usually be only for a year or two before they are released.

In next door DuPage county, an armed carjacker is going to get a minimum of 10yr behind bars. I suspect it would be the same in Texas. And even better in Texas, you are allowed to defend yourself with a firearm. Illinois has self defense laws, but the bozos who run Cook county would still try to give you a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2022, 08:57 PM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
There have been murders, shootings, and bad press about violence and crime in Chicago since the days of Al Capone. And in all those decades from then to now, Chicago has STILL always been a 1st tier, world class city. Dallas? Not so much.

Old 04-16-2022, 08:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 863,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The murders in Chicago don't really affect you unless you are in a gang. That being said, there are a lot more serious crimes that happen in Chicago compared to Dallas. People in this thread have mentioned safe vs unsafe neighborhoods but the reality is that in Chicago, crime can happen just about anywhere. Carjackings have happened more in safe neighborhoods because the carjackers know they can get nicer cars in safe neighborhoods.

Just a few blocks from where I used to live (like a 10min walk from the police station), someone was carjacked at gunpoint and the carjacker decided to shoot the vehicle owner because he wasn't moving fast enough. The police never caught the guy. People also have been sitting in their apartment or car at a red light or sitting on the train minding their own business when a stray bullet comes in and ends their life. This type of thing rarely happens in Dallas.

One of the most frustrating things about Chicago, and another reason that I left is seeing a news article of someone who was arrested for committing murder who was out on bond for robbery and had a long rap sheet of violent crime. I have no idea why this person wasn't behind bars for life for the crimes already committed. The states attorney in Cook county is really into this dumb idea of restorative justice in Cook County and attempts to lower each felony to a misdemeanor, when possible. So let's say you get robbed at gunpoint and have your car stolen. More than likely, the perp is going to be charged with a simple trespassing charge and that's if they are caught.

It's not a good feeling knowing that someone can rob you at gunpoint, steal your car, and they will likely be back out on the streets the next day even if they are caught and arrested. If they do face jail time, it will usually be only for a year or two before they are released.

In next door DuPage county, an armed carjacker is going to get a minimum of 10yr behind bars. I suspect it would be the same in Texas. And even better in Texas, you are allowed to defend yourself with a firearm. Illinois has self defense laws, but the bozos who run Cook county would still try to give you a hard time.
To be fair governments tried the lock them up forever approach in the 90s. It resulted in overcrowded prisons and budget deficits. It was also often incorrectly applied resulting in over sentencing many non-violent offenders and minorities. I get the angst about crime but choosing the "lock them up and throw away the key" approach doesn't solve anything and only creates more problems, particularly when people refuse to pay more taxes. Having access to firearms doesn't lower the crime rate. May make you feel safer, but typically doesn't change the outcome in violent crime rates.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:48 AM

663 posts, read 305,624 times
Lightbulb Best advise is -- Please let go of Chicagoland. It is eating you alive. Move on. Big D is home now till the next....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
Your statistics comparing crime in Dallas and Chicago are both out of date and inaccurate.

Chicago ended 2021 “as one of the most violent on record in Chicago, as a rise in the number of shootings left more people dead than in any single year in a quarter century, according to statistics released by the police department on Saturday” (NBC 5 Chicago).

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...y/2719307/?amp

The same article states there were 797 homicides in Chicago in 2021, up +4% from 2020, and up a distressing +37% since 2019, which was the highest since 1996.

By comparison, Dallas recorded just 220 homicides in 2021, and 254 homicides in 2020, according to Dallas police crime statistics.

Which means that Chicago’s murder rate is over 3.5 times greater than Dallas in both 2020 and 2021. These years aren’t aberrations from the norm, Chicago’s murder rate has always been significantly higher.

Chicago Police’s official year-end crime statistics for 2021 has been conveniently scrubbed from its website but the year-to-date 2022 statistics for murder, robbery, assault, and auto theft are all tracking significantly higher compared against Dallas.

Chicago Police crime statistics, year-to-date 2022: https://home.chicagopolice.org/wp-co...22-Week-15.pdf

Dallas Police crime statistics, year-to-date 2022: https://dallaspolice.net/resources/C...aily%20EOY.pdf

Also, pointing out the pathologies and criminality of the black community makes me neither “extremist” or “self-hating”.

As you said, 80% of these crimes are black-on-black, so why is acknowledging that Chicago has a black crime problem — not simply a crime problem — controversial?
Dallas Crime Stats - In 2021, Dallas had a crime rate of 845.82 per 100,000 people, which is more than twice the national average. It’s property crime rate of 3,508.88 per 100,000 people is 1.8 times greater than the national average.

Here is a Dallas Homicide map of worst neighborhoods. (live outside the worst hoods) if a suburb.... be happy move on.... let go of the former.
Dallas, TX Crime Rates and Statistics Neighborhood Scout.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Chicago -- crime stats 2021 - . Chicago crime rate of 967.93 per 100,000 people. Chicago’s violent crime rate is more than twice the national average and is on par with cities like Philadelphia, Houston and Cincinnati.

This is the Chicago homicide map
https://vanlifewanderer.com/wp-conte...micide_map.jpg

In 2021 Houston - reported 26,313 violent crimes and had a Houston crime rate of 1,142.80 per 100,000 residents. Houston’ crime rate is nearly 3 times greater than the national average.

This is the Houston Murder Map. (seems pretty evenly spread)
https://vanlifewanderer.com/wp-conte...r_map_2021.jpg

For Chicago city for 2021. You called the Northside a cesspool now... well not according to the map. Just LET IT GO. I lived in the light blue are of no homicides. I am sure the North Shore Suburbs are low.

** I suggest you DO NOT move to HOUSTON NEXT. More crime stats by violent crime.....

Dallas does not give race stats it seems? Maybe some links they do. Chicago again is over 80% homicide victims are black and perpetrators. Goes up if Latino % is added. If Cook County..... adding both African-American homicides with Latino goes up to a whopping 96% of most being people of color. Take that as you wish to Spin it.....

*** If you feel safer in Big D GREAT. Move forward with your life.... let go of the baggage of Chicago whether the city or when you were raised in the North Shore Suburbs. YOU NEVER WILL BE HAPPY OR MOVE ON TILL YOU LET HER GO. Boast for Big D now or your complaints...for that matter.... IT IS HOME NOW.

Also remember there is NO comparing the the HUGE SUBURBS of a Dallas to Chicago's generally, much smaller town suburbs ..... Glencoe you bring up has like less than 9000 people. Plano... OMG what over 245,000. The largest suburb of Chicago is Naperville at like 150,000 and get generally listed as a top 5 suburb in the Nation. Some in the top 3.

Seems this thread even is odd in this forum and BASICALLY ALL ON A CITY THE FORUM IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT. I do not get it. Must be too old.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2022 at 10:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2022, 06:37 AM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
There have been murders, shootings, and bad press about violence and crime in Chicago since the days of Al Capone. And in all those decades from then to now, Chicago has STILL always been a 1st tier, world class city. Dallas? Not so much.
I guess you are from Chicago. If Chicago is a "1st tier, world class city" then I hope Dallas never becomes that. I might prefer Chicago to New York City, but that doesn't say much.

Old 04-17-2022, 09:24 AM

139 posts, read 171,480 times
Sorry, but I couldn't take your post seriously after reading you praise the TX DPS. That thing is like if you had a toxic chemical dump and built a nuclear plant on top of it and that melted down.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:40 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
Sorry, but I couldn't take your post seriously after reading you praise the TX DPS. That thing is like if you had a toxic chemical dump and built a nuclear plant on top of it and that melted down.
Do you have any experience with agencies in other states? TX DPS has its problems but they are far better than agencies in other states. When I moved to TX the first time, I was able to put in my phone number and they texted me with my wait time. This meant I could wait at home instead of in the office. No other state I've lived in has had this feature, so you are stuck waiting hours in the DMV office.

Old 04-17-2022, 12:24 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,087,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Funny enough, parts of downtown Dallas feel a lot more sketchy to me than most of downtown Chicago
I've never felt unsafe in Downtown Dallas. There certainly parts of Dallas where I feel unsafe, like near Love Field or parts of southern Dallas, but Downtown, with the museums and everything, felt more dead than unsafe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xalistiq View Post
And unlike Chicago, the Dallas-equivalent of the North Shore suburbs are in the city proper. Highland Park and University Park are Dallas’ answer to Wilmette, Kenilworth, Glencoe, and Winnetka (New Trier school district).
There certainly are very wealthy areas in Dallas, but it is ironic that you immediately name two cities that aren't part of Dallas.

Old 04-17-2022, 01:03 PM

417 posts, read 600,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Dallas Crime Stats - In 2021, Dallas had a crime rate of 845.82 per 100,000 people, which is more than twice the national average. It’s property crime rate of 3,508.88 per 100,000 people is 1.8 times greater than the national average.

Here is a Dallas Homicide map of worst neighborhoods. (live outside the worst hoods) if a suburb.... be happy move on.... let go of the former.
Dallas, TX Crime Rates and Statistics Neighborhood Scout.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Chicago -- crime stats 2021 - . Chicago crime rate of 967.93 per 100,000 people. Chicago’s violent crime rate is more than twice the national average and is on par with cities like Philadelphia, Houston and Cincinnati.

This is the Chicago homicide map
https://vanlifewanderer.com/wp-conte...micide_map.jpg

In 2021 Houston - reported 26,313 violent crimes and had a Houston crime rate of 1,142.80 per 100,000 residents. Houston’ crime rate is nearly 3 times greater than the national average.

This is the Houston Murder Map. (seems pretty evenly spread)
https://vanlifewanderer.com/wp-conte...r_map_2021.jpg

For Chicago city for 2021. You called the Northside a cesspool now... well not according to the map. Just LET IT GO. I lived in the light blue are of no homicides. I am sure the North Shore Suburbs are low.

** I suggest you DO NOT move to HOUSTON NEXT. More crime stats by violent crime.....

Dallas does not give race stats it seems? Maybe some links they do. Chicago again is over 80% homicide victims are black and perpetrators. Goes up if Latino % is added. If Cook County..... adding both African-American homicides with Latino goes up to a whopping 96% of most being people of color. Take that as you wish to Spin it.....

*** If you feel safer in Big D GREAT. Move forward with your life.... let go of the baggage of Chicago whether the city or when you were raised in the North Shore Suburbs. YOU NEVER WILL BE HAPPY OR MOVE ON TILL YOU LET HER GO. Boast for Big D now or your complaints...for that matter.... IT IS HOME NOW.

Also remember there is NO comparing the the HUGE SUBURBS of a Dallas to Chicago's generally, much smaller town suburbs ..... Glencoe you bring up has like less than 9000 people. Plano... OMG what over 245,000. The largest suburb of Chicago is Naperville at like 150,000 and get generally listed as a top 5 suburb in the Nation. Some in the top 3.

Seems this thread even is odd in this forum and BASICALLY ALL ON A CITY THE FORUM IS NOT SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT. I do not get it. Must be too old.
+1 Looking at City Data crime stats per capita Dallas seems to be on par with Chicago in terms of crime. I wouldn't consider Dallas to be among the safer cities in the US, at least by the stats.

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2022 at 10:23 PM..

Old 04-18-2022, 06:27 AM

1,079 posts, read 1,110,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonhun View Post
I've never felt unsafe in Downtown Dallas. There certainly parts of Dallas where I feel unsafe, like near Love Field or parts of southern Dallas, but Downtown, with the museums and everything, felt more dead than unsafe.

There certainly are very wealthy areas in Dallas, but it is ironic that you immediately name two cities that aren't part of Dallas.
That poster was comparing areas of DFW similar to some of the upscale north shore suburbs of Chicago, not neighborhoods within Chicago. HP/UP are probably the closest comparison in DFW to the areas they list, although they are completely surrounded by the City of Dallas rather than being adjacent to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas