Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2021, 12:17 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
At the risk of being premature, "welcome to Texas!" IMO you and Wittgenstein's Ghost should bury the hatchet. People often seem more strident and difficult on forums than they intend. He's an interesting guy with lots of opinions I disagree with but people like him force me to think about and re-consider my own opinions. IOW divergent opinions can be valuable.
Thanks for the kind words. I can promise I am more difficult online than in person!

And I really wasn't trying to be difficult. My first post was just a joke -- nothing more. My other post was simply to say that Plano is about as safe as it gets, but the risk isn't zero. Everyone has to draw their own line based on their particular circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2021, 03:27 PM

276 posts, read 747,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
At the risk of being premature, "welcome to Texas!" IMO you and Wittgenstein's Ghost should bury the hatchet. People often seem more strident and difficult on forums than they intend. He's an interesting guy with lots of opinions I disagree with but people like him force me to think about and re-consider my own opinions. IOW divergent opinions can be valuable.

I'm sure you've considered the all this but just in case.

1. What about a GPS tracker? Against the notions of her privacy vs. safety given her circumstances such a thing is worth thinking through.

2. Per TC-80s point about water. Plano has many micro-lakes, fair weather ponds and creeks, culverts and ditches. Considering your daughter's level of self-awareness vs. danger.........you may need to scout housing options carefully. FEMA has flood maps that a realtor should be able to access for you. That might be a place to start.

FWIIW although he's, "grown out of it" so to speak.......our son was on the spectrum as a kid. He was absolutely fascinated by and drawn to any body of water and he usually wanted to get in it.

3. I'd give Great Schools very little weight. Others have covered that-though.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. GPS tracker - She has her own cell phone -I've location services allowed on it. Not sure if I can do more in respect to GPS - if so, please let me know :-)

Regarding lakes / water - there are alligators apparently on West side of Frisco. I saw a video on youtube as well about a rare alligator sighting. Not sure whether they are in Plano however.

My daughter's symptoms unfortunately have gotten progressively worse, and now, its to the point of full-blown autism, mostly seen by constant and continuous rocking back and forth. :-(

Old 07-13-2021, 03:32 PM

276 posts, read 747,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I can promise I am more difficult online than in person!

And I really wasn't trying to be difficult. My first post was just a joke -- nothing more. My other post was simply to say that Plano is about as safe as it gets, but the risk isn't zero. Everyone has to draw their own line based on their particular circumstances.
I should not have wrote "Can't save them all" to you. I did write it, erroneously, at the expense of almost mocking my child, as a way of trying to appease you, frankly, based on your "joke." And it backfired.

For that, I apologize.

Old 07-18-2021, 11:29 AM

537 posts, read 450,269 times
Plano parks are relatively safe. I would always encourage one to use precautions though.

Old 07-19-2021, 08:52 PM

377 posts, read 382,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meameame12 View Post
you are the dad of a daughter, but not the dad of an moderately impaired autistic teen daughter. unless your daughter is autistic and a teen, there simply is no comparison whatsoever. my daughter is OBLIVIOUS to dangers and impervious to reason.

can't save them all, right?

nevertheless, my job is to peek around the corners, to do my research, etc., esp. for a teen w/special needs, and i intend to do my job.

thank you for taking time to respond though.

To be clear: my emphasis wasn't on ANY teen girl going outside after dusk, my emphasis was on an autistic teen girl going outside after dusk. Any parent of an autistic teen girl can sense the hazards involved.

If that was my daughter I wouldn't let her go outside by herself even if we lived in Bel Air. A person that is too trusting or not aware enough of their surroundings is a victim of a crime waiting to happen, and it doesn't matter what city you live in either.

There are predators everywhere, even in "rich" areas.

Old 07-22-2021, 10:59 PM

817 posts, read 922,556 times
Not sure about alligators in Frisco. My guess is that it would have to be on a stream that fed into Lake Lewisville, which is known to have alligators. I think there is one peninsula onto the lake that has Frisco addresses, so it could be there. Most of Frisco would be too far from water for an alligator.

One exception would be if someone abandoned an alligator in a pond like happened in Chicago a few years ago, but there is usually an intense search in those cases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas