Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:23 PM

28 posts, read 87,910 times

Advertisements

We would like a pre-owned home as we have always had new homes and we want mature landscaping and some character. My husband is in the Information Technology field. Is there alot of IT jobs in the area? from our research there seems to be. Plano seems really big, what do you think of Frisco? It seems from what I have read that Keller schools are great!!

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jherbst View Post
We would like a pre-owned home as we have always had new homes and we want mature landscaping and some character. My husband is in the Information Technology field. Is there alot of IT jobs in the area? from our research there seems to be. Plano seems really big, what do you think of Frisco? It seems from what I have read that Keller schools are great!!

THANKS!
I am not in IT but from what I have seen and my neighbor the IT job market is doing very well in the DFW area. My neighbor is a IT manager for AT&T and does quite well.

Plano is pretty big by TX standards which is why we wanted something smaller like Keller, not too big or too small. We really did not looked at Frisco and it was still too big for us or at least it had the big feel. I have a friend I worked with in CA that was a network administrator and he looked in Frisco because of the strong IT job market. He decided against it because of what he said was the escalating crime. I can't say that I know that because we did not investigate Frisco. If you are pretty sure about his work in Plano I would concentrate on the surrounding communities. There are plenty to choose from. You are going to have fun doing this just try to narrow it down to a few communities so you don't freak out. I can tell you that no matter what you do wyou will always have second thoughts. There is just too darm many options available which is not necessarily bad just confusing.

We love the Keller schools. They are all fairly new and from a facilities standpoint quite impressive. My kids love their teachers and the teachers we have met really seem to love teaching. Many of our kids teachers in CA were not happy with teaching anymore. The cost of living was really wearing heavily on them.

Good luck. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. If you want to private message me that is alright to. My wife would be happy to answer any questions also, from a woman's perspective.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 17,669 times
We plan to visit too but we do not know when. I have heard that Texas has high property taxes, if you come across any nice areas with 2000sq ft + homes under $150,000 in a good school district I would love to hear about them, I have been told to look into Keller school district so if you happen to go by there let me know what you think.

Thanks

Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 AM

I have heard that Keller has a great school district. We are actually looking at a few houses within your criteria ( just to physically see what one can get for the $$) I am also worried about the high property taxes as well! One of the main reasons we want to move is for affordable housing. We are living in a home we bought for 386K that is probably comparable to a 150K home there, however with the taxes I am still thinking we will come out ahead. I will let you know what I think of Keller.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM

82 posts, read 269,800 times
Smile Look at Houston as well as Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamiePray View Post
My husband and I currently live in Mn and we are tired of the cold. I recently graduated with my Elementary Education liscense. I was wondering what the job market is like for teachers in Texas? Any suggestions where in Texas we should look for a reasonable house?

Spring/Woodlands area in North Houston, I grew up there and my mom is a teacher; great schools and a lot of opportunity. Many new/newer neighborhoods out there and very suburban (which I personally prefer).

I warn you, you HAVE to be able to handle a lot of summer or you will end up unhappy. I've lived in ATL past 2 years, Denver for 5, and the rest in Houston. I'm moving back to Texas despite the heat, so that should tell you something.

Old 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM

The heat is what I worry about the most as we are used to DRY hot weather here in Nevada. Humidity is something I have yet to experience for a long period of time!! I do know or skin wont be dry and there are a lot of swimming pools there!!

Old 06-03-2008, 02:46 PM

Default But hey,

Quote:
The heat is what I worry about the most as we are used to DRY hot weather here in Nevada. Humidity is something I have yet to experience for a long period of time!! I do know or skin wont be dry and there are a lot of swimming pools there!!

the good part is that you don't age as quickly in humidity (that fact is NOT checked, for whoever wants to challenge me, just rumor) AND you have an excuse to stay inside and lay around (cuz it's too DANG hot) if ya want!

Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I have heard that Keller has a great school district. We are actually looking at a few houses within your criteria ( just to physically see what one can get for the $$) I am also worried about the high property taxes as well! One of the main reasons we want to move is for affordable housing. We are living in a home we bought for 386K that is probably comparable to a 150K home there, however with the taxes I am still thinking we will come out ahead. I will let you know what I think of Keller.
We are also looking to move to DFW - I have heard a lot of good stuff about Frisco, so most likely that's the area we are headed. I would like to see some of your responses abot Keller.

Also, you may want to consider that property taxes are higher, but there is no state income tax, so that may balance it out for you. I agree on the house values - we bought a small home here in Georgia for $170k and it's amazing that we can get a home in Frisco for the same price at 1500 MORE sf plus a pool! That's pretty exciting.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:35 AM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyt1980 View Post
We are also looking to move to DFW - I have heard a lot of good stuff about Frisco, so most likely that's the area we are headed. I would like to see some of your responses abot Keller.

Also, you may want to consider that property taxes are higher, but there is no state income tax, so that may balance it out for you. I agree on the house values - we bought a small home here in Georgia for $170k and it's amazing that we can get a home in Frisco for the same price at 1500 MORE sf plus a pool! That's pretty exciting.

I agree Frisco is a nice place if you are working in that area.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 AM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
IMO opinion as a teacher you should have been able to find another word besides "Ghetto" to describe the school district you are looking to teach in.
Your PC idealism is touching, but the reality is that some teachers don't want to work with kids who are more unruly, less behaved and far more disrespectful than certain kids in other schools. I pity people who must hide under a PC rock in order to deal with reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas