Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2021, 10:30 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,348,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I don't need to waste more time on that.
Good thing: the real Texas (the land outside those swamps infested by liberals) meets my expectations pretty well
You dont want to "waste time" on that because, frankly, you cant answer it.

You want a place where everyone is just like you. Texas is too diverse for that. The person born and raised in Texas that is an atheist liberal is every bit as entitled to this state as you are.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:35 PM

18,527 posts, read 7,284,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You dont want to "waste time" on that because, frankly, you cant answer it.

You want a place where everyone is just like you. Texas is too diverse for that. The person born and raised in Texas that is an atheist liberal is every bit as entitled to this state as you are.
No, that's not true. The hallmark of a liberal is a determination is to give away something that belongs to himself AND OTHERS -- without the consent of the others. Their own ideology says that liberals aren't entitled to anything.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, that's not true. The hallmark of a liberal is a determination is to give away something that belongs to himself AND OTHERS -- without the consent of the others. Their own ideology says that liberals aren't entitled to anything.
You just made up something and cast it on to 40-45% of Texans.

Texas is a big diverse state. It belongs to all who chose to call it home. No one gets to determine who can and cant live here.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:50 PM

240 posts, read 207,830 times
I’m not sure why it would surprise anyone to learn that the population centers of Texas are more progressive than not? That would be true for most states with large, diverse population centers.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:53 PM

18,527 posts, read 7,284,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
You just made up something and cast it on to 45% of Texans.
No. I stated a prosaic fact that applies to about 10% of Texans.

Old 07-26-2021, 10:59 PM

5,683 posts, read 4,104,308 times
Quote:
Last I checked, neither party is proposing a 0% tax rate nor an optional tax system. So both parties are doing this. They just disagree on the percentages.

Now enough with the pure politics, and enough with feeding the trolls.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:02 PM

Quote:
No. I stated a prosaic fact that applies to about 10% of Texans.
No, you vomited out an unfounded rhetorical talking point. Unless you are advocating a 0% tax rate, you are also guilty of taking money from other people and distributing it to things you find important.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:43 PM

511 posts, read 393,603 times
Dallas is probably more known for "Texan-ness" than Houston.

Here are a couple of reasons:

1. When people think of Texas, Dallas is more likely to be the first city to be brought up or talked about.

2. Dallas is associated with/grouped with Fort Worth aka Gateway City to the West, a city with strong Texan image and cowboy culture.

3. The fact that Dallas isn't as lush as Houston and its natural settings being on the prairie is associated with the kind of image people have of the state - wide-open, barren, vastness, desert-like (although there's no desert in North Texas at all). Not to mention its closest state, Oklahoma shares similarities with Texas cowboy culture. OTOH, Houston's natural setting is associated with Southeast Texas and Gulf coast. It has ties with Louisiana, a Southern state that has barely anything to do with cowboy culture. Also, Dallas' pro football team has "Cowboys" in its name.

4. The Metroplex is closer to West Texas and the Texas Panhandle - they generally feel more cowboy-like with arid climate and landscaping. You actually frequently see people with cowboy hats on in those sub-regions.

5. Both Dallas and Houston are very international, but Houston's international flavor is stronger and more "in your face" thus making Houston relatively less stereotypical Texan.

Old 07-26-2021, 11:48 PM

272 posts, read 243,096 times
I love how this thread has gone completely 360 away from the original question and now consists of what appears to be
“Annoying” back and forth lol

Old 07-27-2021, 01:46 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,981,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltx9412 View Post
Dallas is probably more known for "Texan-ness" than Houston.

Here are a couple of reasons:

1. When people think of Texas, Dallas is more likely to be the first city to be brought up or talked about.

2. Dallas is associated with/grouped with Fort Worth aka Gateway City to the West, a city with strong Texan image and cowboy culture.

3. The fact that Dallas isn't as lush as Houston and its natural settings being on the prairie is associated with the kind of image people have of the state - wide-open, barren, vastness, desert-like (although there's no desert in North Texas at all). Not to mention its closest state, Oklahoma shares similarities with Texas cowboy culture. OTOH, Houston's natural setting is associated with Southeast Texas and Gulf coast. It has ties with Louisiana, a Southern state that has barely anything to do with cowboy culture. Also, Dallas' pro football team has "Cowboys" in its name.

4. The Metroplex is closer to West Texas and the Texas Panhandle - they generally feel more cowboy-like with arid climate and landscaping. You actually frequently see people with cowboy hats on in those sub-regions.

5. Both Dallas and Houston are very international, but Houston's international flavor is stronger and more "in your face" thus making Houston relatively less stereotypical Texan.

Good points.

Houston feels both more international AND more southern. Despite similar demographics, Dallas seems more.......I guess "Anglo-fied" than you'd expect given our population. It's more Texan in the WASPy way that we think of "Texan". Non whites seem to assimilate more into WASP culture here whereas the different groups stand out more down there (black, Latino, Vietnamese, Chinese etc).

I would like Dallas to embrace it's southern traits a bit more but the jokes about us being "South Oklahoma" have some merit. I'm born and raised in Dallas (Dallas Memorial Hospital lol) and know very few people that were born in DFW......even fewer born and raised inside 635. I'm not sure I've met anyone that goes more than 2 generations deep in Dallas unless they're some HP blue-blood.

Dallas doesn't respect its own history and always wants to move forward with new everything. It's part of why people think our city is soul-less. Having so many transplants contributes to this since we have thousands upon thousands moving here every year with no ties to the city. Maybe that's our legacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas