Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 PM

625 posts, read 667,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicnod View Post
This is ridiculous. I have talked to thousands of people (since I travel for work) and have asked them about living in their city whether it be NYC, Boston, Phoenix, Miami, Seattle, etc.. 44 states worth and each and every single time I ask about the city that they are in it is assumed it is the metro area. That is the metro area for Los Angeles (huge) or Dayton Ohio (small).

You people just love to argue

I have met hundreds of people from DFW and specifically those who live in Dallas and I have never heard one person use the term "city of Dallas". Further more I have run into people on the road who have asked if I am from Dallas to which my response is yes. I live in a suburb. They too have told me they live in "Dallas" or that they used to live in "Dallas". The cities they have actually lived in were places like Arlington, Frisco, Plano, Prosper, Grapevine, North Richland Hills, Fort Worth (Keller border), Keller, Westlake, and yes even in Dallas itself.

Uhh yeah they are. When I say that I live in DFW I get asked about Fort Worth many times. Just as when I ask others about MSP or living in Minneapolis they talk about St Paul. In fact when I tell people I am going to Minneapolis where should I eat, stay, visit so many times they give me a suggestion in St Paul.

Oh and some of these people who you think are morons are people whose net worth I can guarantee are substantially higher than yours (and mine for that matter) and have far achieved higher than both you and I.

I am still wondering why I have seen you and other posters disparage and comment on cities like Frisco, Plano, Southlake, Allen, Prosper, Richardson, Keller, etc. when none of you have lived there. You tell this poster he has no clue what he is talking about because he has never lived there but not living in those cities sure didn't preclude you all from commenting many times in the past.

This would be my response also. And yes when I talk about "a city like Dallas" I am speaking of the whole DFW metroplex. When someone from out of town asks if "Dallas is conservative" Correctly and somwhat intelligently I am assuming they mean DFW and lo and behold that was the assumption. I guess some of just are just smarter than others.

I actually have the opposite experience. I live in central Dallas and venture outside of 635 once in a very blue moon. I find that people in Dallas-proper (Lakewood, HP, PH, etc) are quite snobby against North Texas suburbs and feel very little in common with them. When I meet people outside Dallas and they ask where I’m from, I say the city of Dallas. If they ask further, I clarify close to downtown.

The original question was if the city of Dallas was ‘traditional’. I answered it based on my experience. My kid’s school voted over 80% for Biden. (It pulls all over Dallas). My neighborhood is very blue. I’ve lived in Austin and yes it’s more liberal, but not dramatically so based on my personal experience. I’ve also loved in the North East, abroad and travel frequently. This is MY experience. (And no I am not ‘triggered’).

If the original question applied to the greater (huge) North Dallas area...sure, it’s more conservative than other major metroplexes, but it’s definitely not monolithic.

I grew up in the suburbs of Houston and I learned quickly when I went to college that Houston-ites definitely did not consider my upper middle class suburb to be part of their Houston. Some sororities during rush looked WAY down on the suburbs. Not saying this is good of course, but reflecting on the fact that there are cultural differences between inner Texas neighborhoods and the culture of the larger area. My best friend is born and bred HP (still lives there) and has never driven to popular burbs like Allen, Southlake, Coppell, etc.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:43 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
If I met someone in person who responded with “ it depends where you live, work, and play in the metro”
That person is just odd.

If someone asks me about the city of Toronto, I don’t ask which specific block you’d like to know about.

It’s a common understanding of providing a general overview, which means everything in the city.
The downtown core, the suburbs, etc etc.

If you don’t agree with this, fine.
At least now going forward you know when another person asks what they’re asking.
There’s a 99% chance it’s the same way I did.
Next time I’ll be sure to be more specific to avoid this absurdity that Occurred in this thread
You're trying to apply your Toronto experience, which is more of a standard "centralized city/metro" onto a decentralized, sprawling, and multi-nodal American metro. They are apples to oranges. As one poster stated, DFW is the size of the state of Connecticut. There are many corporate suburbs in DFW (e.g. Plano, Frisco, etc.) where you don't even have to commute to the city of Dallas for work and this was well before Covid and the increase of remote work. Then there's an entirely different city with its own history and culture as part of the metro - Fort Worth. Los Angeles and Washington, DC are the same way as well.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:51 PM

272 posts, read 246,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
You're trying to apply your Toronto experience, which is more of a standard "centralized city/metro" onto a decentralized, sprawling, and multi-nodal American metro. They are apples to oranges. As one poster stated, DFW is the size of the state of Connecticut. There are many corporate suburbs in DFW (e.g. Plano, Frisco, etc.) where you don't even have to commute to the city of Dallas for work and this was well before Covid and the increase of remote work. Then there's an entirely different city with its own history and culture as part of the metro - Fort Worth. Los Angeles and Washington, DC are the same way as well.
When people ask about the “city of Toronto” it also includes our “ metro”
We call it the GTA.
That’s the equivalent of your DFW
As the poster above said, this was easier to understand for some than others.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:06 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuggz View Post
When people ask about the “city of Toronto” it also includes our “ metro”
We call it the GTA.
That’s the equivalent of your DFW
As the poster above said, this was easier to understand for some than others.
You're still not getting it. Toronto is an entirely different place than most US metros and Canadian cities in general are not laid out the same way as American ones. There's an entirely different CD forum for Fort Worth. It's even been debated before to have a separate one for north Dallas suburbs in Collin County (Plano & Frisco). Why? Because those areas are so developed and independent enough to warrant one. That's clearly not the same for most areas in Toronto's metro. The DC metro has separate forums for Washington, DC and Northern Viriginia. The LA metro has separate ones for LA and Orange County. Fort Lauderdale (Miami metro) has a separate forum from Miami. I won't even mention the massive socioeconomic and demographic differences within an American metro compared to your average Canadian one.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:42 PM

Quote:
You're still not getting it. Toronto is an entirely different place than most US metros and Canadian cities in general are not laid out the same way as American ones. There's an entirely different CD forum for Fort Worth. It's even been debated before to have a separate one for north Dallas suburbs in Collin County (Plano & Frisco). Why? Because those areas are so developed and independent enough to warrant one. That's clearly not the same for most areas in Toronto's metro. The DC metro has separate forums for Washington, DC and Northern Viriginia. The LA metro has separate ones for LA and Orange County. Fort Lauderdale (Miami metro) has a separate forum from Miami. I won't even mention the massive socioeconomic and demographic differences within an American metro compared to your average Canadian one.
You say one thing.
Another person from dallas will agree with me and says another
I’m not here to go back and forth with you over what you think the “city of dallas” is and what should and should not be included.

I asked if the city of dallas is conservative in comparison to northeast cities and I got my answer was yes.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by Cuggz; 08-01-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 09:43 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
You're still not getting it. Toronto is an entirely different place than most US metros . . . .
Not really. What we're all saying about DFW applies to Toronto as well. The central city is not the same as the suburbs.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:48 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I actually have the opposite experience. I live in central Dallas and venture outside of 635 once in a very blue moon. I find that people in Dallas-proper (Lakewood, HP, PH, etc) are quite snobby against North Texas suburbs and feel very little in common with them. When I meet people outside Dallas and they ask where I’m from, I say the city of Dallas. If they ask further, I clarify close to downtown.

The original question was if the city of Dallas was ‘traditional’. I answered it based on my experience. My kid’s school voted over 80% for Biden. (It pulls all over Dallas). My neighborhood is very blue. I’ve lived in Austin and yes it’s more liberal, but not dramatically so based on my personal experience. I’ve also loved in the North East, abroad and travel frequently. This is MY experience. (And no I am not ‘triggered’).

If the original question applied to the greater (huge) North Dallas area...sure, it’s more conservative than other major metroplexes, but it’s definitely not monolithic.

I grew up in the suburbs of Houston and I learned quickly when I went to college that Houston-ites definitely did not consider my upper middle class suburb to be part of their Houston. Some sororities during rush looked WAY down on the suburbs.
I dated a girl from Lake Highlands (LHHS) for a while (back in the '90's), and on Halloween she dressed up as "972" aka Oklahoma or BFE. She was a Kappa at this state's flagship university.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Not really. What we're all saying about DFW applies to Toronto as well. The central city is not the same as the suburbs.
I didn’t want to say anything because I just want it to end... lol

We call it the GTA (Greater Toronto Area)

When someone asks us about the city of Toronto, we speak of Toronto & GTA

We discuss it as if it was all one, we don’t divide our city or our people & politics

Unless that individual wants specifics

The entire city is liberal, to find a area that votes conservative you’d have to drive an hour north.

In dallas, it’s a 5 minute drive... which illustrates the conservative roots within the city of Dallas.

Last edited by Cuggz; 08-01-2021 at 10:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas