Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 09:17 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
I think some people here equate money with happiness as though it's the most important thing in life. That's sad.
Forgive me for wanting to be able to do things other than subsist and realizing that I need money to do that. Money does equal happiness to a point. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be making $150k a year than $50k a year, and $250k a year than $150k a year. Granted there are diminishing returns and that threshold is different for everyone. My stress levels are inversely related to my income and wealth. Why? I can throw money at my problems to make them go away. Who cares if I don't have time to clean my house - I have a cleaning lady. Who cares if I don't have time to cook - that's what Ubereats and Doordash are for. If I want the latest iPad or Macbook or other iThing, I don't have to think twice before I go buy one. If I want to splurge on a vacation and fly business class and stay at the Ritz, I can afford to do that every once in a while. Having more money to play with has made my life better in every way imaginable. Nice things are awesome, and they cost money. Nothing sad about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2021, 12:37 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,087,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicnod View Post
Sad and evil?

So if we both travel to the same places and I stay at a 5 star resort and eat at the best restaurants in the area and you decide to stay in a shared room and eat as cheap as you can what I am doing is sad and evil?

OK then.
It's about the attitude of putting money and fleeting pleasures above all else in life.

Old 08-08-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Forgive me for wanting to be able to do things other than subsist and realizing that I need money to do that. Money does equal happiness to a point. I don't know about you, but I'd rather be making $150k a year than $50k a year, and $250k a year than $150k a year. Granted there are diminishing returns and that threshold is different for everyone. My stress levels are inversely related to my income and wealth. Why? I can throw money at my problems to make them go away. Who cares if I don't have time to clean my house - I have a cleaning lady. Who cares if I don't have time to cook - that's what Ubereats and Doordash are for. If I want the latest iPad or Macbook or other iThing, I don't have to think twice before I go buy one. If I want to splurge on a vacation and fly business class and stay at the Ritz, I can afford to do that every once in a while. Having more money to play with has made my life better in every way imaginable. Nice things are awesome, and they cost money. Nothing sad about it.
None of those things are bad in and of themselves. The problem is placing such a high value on money and all those self-pleasures. If you have that much, have you ever considered perhaps helping someone else in need? All the money in the world wouldn't make many people's problems go away. What if you were blind? What if you became paralyzed? Many if not most people cannot make more money for reasons beyond their control. If you only care about yourself and just assume others are less well off by choice, that's a problem. If you value material possessions in this short life over eternity, that's sad.

Old 08-08-2021, 01:51 PM

169 posts, read 104,339 times
Quote:
It's about the attitude of putting money and fleeting pleasures above all else in life.
As the poster above you said you can do both. You said money doesn't buy happiness. It absolutely does.

Old 08-08-2021, 02:44 PM

42 posts, read 27,858 times
Quote:
None of those things are bad in and of themselves. The problem is placing such a high value on money and all those self-pleasures. If you have that much, have you ever considered perhaps helping someone else in need? All the money in the world wouldn't make many people's problems go away. What if you were blind? What if you became paralyzed? Many if not most people cannot make more money for reasons beyond their control. If you only care about yourself and just assume others are less well off by choice, that's a problem. If you value material possessions in this short life over eternity, that's sad.
Pretty sure lots of programs and technologies for disabilities are funded by money... have you considered that if you had lots of money you can choose to help others on a bigger scale? Would love to hear what you are personally doing to make a change. Most high earners make a bigger difference in the world than low earners. Whether it’s through donations or just through the important / impactful work that they are doing.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicnod View Post
As the poster above you said you can do both. You said money doesn't buy happiness. It absolutely does.
My guess is that you don't believe in God. If those temporary self-indulgences are what truly bring you happiness, I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-08-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffypoms View Post
Pretty sure lots of programs and technologies for disabilities are funded by money... have you considered that if you had lots of money you can choose to help others on a bigger scale? Would love to hear what you are personally doing to make a change. Most high earners make a bigger difference in the world than low earners. Whether it’s through donations or just through the important / impactful work that they are doing.
I think that would be great, and if that's one's goal, that's fantastic. I was responding to a post about vacations, fancy houses, and electronic gizmos. The tone of some of these posts strike me as one in which the money is the end in itself.

Old 08-08-2021, 05:22 PM

42 posts, read 27,858 times
Quote:
I think that would be great, and if that's one's goal, that's fantastic. I was responding to a post about vacations, fancy houses, and electronic gizmos. The tone of some of these posts strike me as one in which the money is the end in itself.
Nothing wrong with fancy vacations, houses, etc they directly support jobs. For example, the owner of a larger home will hire people to clean, mow the lawn, etc. You'd be surprised how many of these fancy vacation destinations directly support an entire city or country. What is truly wasteful and harmful for everyone are pollution and nonrecyclables. Good thing a huge amount of money is being poured into those areas too

Old 08-08-2021, 05:43 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
Quote:
Well if money was an end in itself, it would say things along the lines of "my massive bank account balance gives me the warm and fuzzies" or something similar. And as Fluffypoms said, consumption creates jobs (or at least contributes to job creation). Also one other thing is that before I'm able to help people in need, I need to be well off enough not to require assistance myself.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:20 AM

169 posts, read 104,339 times
Quote:
My guess is that you don't believe in God. If those temporary self-indulgences are what truly bring you happiness, I feel sorry for you.
Where did I say that is what truly brings me happiness. All the things that make most of us happy are enhanced by money. Like to travel, hang out with friends, stay at home, have a hobby, etc and they are all better with money. Go ahead and list your top 5 things that make you happy.

For me:

Traveling
Being at home and enjoying the house and its amenities
Watching my children do their respective activities
Going to restaurants with friends and/or family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas