Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 09:00 PM

6 posts, read 7,193 times

Advertisements

Hi - I am considering moving to the DFW area to be closer to family and to be more centrally located (I'm in EST now). I work from home, so commute isn't a big factor, and don't have kids so school districts are also not critical. I am single and early 50s, so an area with a fair amount of single/divorcees/etc. would be nice. I would also like to be in an area where there are things to do within walking distance. I lived in SF previously, and liked the areas where you could walk to restaurants, bars, stores and gyms.

I enjoy hiking, cross fit and staying active so that is a factor. I am not looking to buy currently, so either apartment living or condo/townhome is ideal. Price range - I'd like to stay under or around $1600 but that is somewhat flexible if an area has everything else but is a little more.

I've heard Coppell, Addison and certain parts of Dallas (i.e uptown, knox-henderson) but that's just from online research so thought it would be more effective to get insights from locals or those most familiar with the area. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2021, 04:35 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
DFW is not know for being “walkable” at all. First of all, many of our cities weren’t developed until after cars were everywhere, so there was no need for people to be able to walk for daily activities. Secondly, it is very hot here for 4-5 months of the year. No one wants to walk to the grocery store in 100+ degree heat.

Coppell is family central, and has almost zero nightlife. I’d pass.

Addison and Knox-Henderson would both be much better for you. There will be plenty of people your age and in similar situations.

Old 08-03-2021, 05:08 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,115,306 times
I would avoid Addison since it's not walkable at all and the few "walkable" areas are actually islands of new urbanism disconnected from everything. And Coppell? Heck no! So it's down to Uptown or Knox-Henderson, IMO. Both neighborhoods actually feel like they're part of a continuous city, with Uptown being the densest and most urban overall. You'll have access to the Katy Trail and many parks in the area in both neighborhoods; however, Uptown wins for having a higher concentration of walkable amenities (gyms, stores, bars, restaurants, etc.). Public transit is also better in Uptown with access to the M-Line Trolley and DART Rail CityPlace/Uptown station.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
DFW is not know for being “walkable” at all. First of all, many of our cities weren’t developed until after cars were everywhere, so there was no need for people to be able to walk for daily activities. Secondly, it is very hot here for 4-5 months of the year. No one wants to walk to the grocery store in 100+ degree heat.

Coppell is family central, and has almost zero nightlife. I’d pass.

Addison and Knox-Henderson would both be much better for you. There will be plenty of people your age and in similar situations.
Thank you, I appreciate the insight. Totally understand there will be days (even months) that it's gonna be to hot to be out walking, but just something that would be nice on occasion if it were possible. I also understand that things, for the most part, are very spread out there. Are there other areas I didn't mention? Grapevine? Parts of Ft Worth? Other "areas" of Dallas?

Old 08-03-2021, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I would avoid Addison since it's not walkable at all and the few "walkable" areas are actually islands of new urbanism disconnected from everything. And Coppell? Heck no! So it's down to Uptown or Knox-Henderson, IMO. Both neighborhoods actually feel like they're part of a continuous city, with Uptown being the densest and most urban overall. You'll have access to the Katy Trail and many parks in the area in both neighborhoods; however, Uptown wins for having a higher concentration of walkable amenities (gyms, stores, bars, restaurants, etc.). Public transit is also better in Uptown with access to the M-Line Trolley and DART Rail CityPlace/Uptown station.
Thank you so much for the help. One thing I have heard about any of these urban parts of Dallas is the crime scene. Are these two areas - Knox-Henderson and Uptown fairly safe?

Old 08-03-2021, 07:17 AM

625 posts, read 666,066 times
Uptown and Knox-Henderson are very safe. Of course its a city, so there is some crime - but I wouldn't think twice of living there as a female. (In fact I have previously). If you've lived in San Francisco, then either of these places will be very 'safe' in comparison.

Knox-Henderson is anchored by the Apple store, boutiques and restaurants, furniture stores, and its right outside Highland Park (very upscale neighborhood). The Katy Trail is right there, as are popular Crossfit locations.

I don't think you'll find much interesting for you outside of central Dallas (or possibly 7th street area of Ft Worth). There are pockets of singles/apartments in Addison, but definitely concrete jungle. Not much walkable.

Another option is Lower Greenville/M street area. Its walkable and close to downtown still. There aren't tons of apartments (mostly historic smaller homes), but there are a few apartment complexes being built and tons of condo style places being built as well. Its used to be more nightlife, but they've really cleaned it up the last few years and tons of daytime style places as well. I walk around here with my kids all the time - so I feel its safe.

Bishop Arts is also walkable (we love it). Downtown Dallas has normally been a snoozefest, but I will say its getting a lot better. Visit the AT&T Discovery District on any night and its is buzzing! I've been twice in the last two weeks and shocked at the transformation (and I work downtown). The Farmers Market also has some apartments and is walking distance to both downtown and Deep Ellum.

https://www.bishopartsdistrict.com/

You mentioned Grapevine. I've been once or twice over the years and liked the main street and it appeared walkable. I know its near a lake. Its pretty far out there. I know Grapevine is a popular family area and possibly retirees. Not sure about singles.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:52 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
You mentioned Grapevine. I've been once or twice over the years and liked the main street and it appeared walkable. I know its near a lake. Its pretty far out there. I know Grapevine is a popular family area and possibly retirees. Not sure about singles.
My husband and I lived in Grapevine for 19 years, and we loved it there. (We do not have children.) We enjoyed visiting the wineries and restaurants on Main Street, and we were very active volunteers at the city's two huge annual festivals. https://www.grapevinetexasusa.com/sh...oric-downtown/ Since we have moved, the City's new TexRail Station, and the Harvest Hall food hall have opened, which is even more of a tourist draw!

There is one apartment complex that is walkable to downtown, but as I recall, the rent on an apartment was more than our mortgage payment, so I'm not sure if that will work with your budget. We did live in small house in the Bellaire neighborhood for a few years, which was about a mile walk each way.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:09 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
With your budget, I’d focus in on the burbs. Look in Downtown Plano near the DART station. Plano actual has many singles; its a bit more mature than the more northern burbs.
https://visitdowntownplano.com/

Also, downtown Las Colinas (zip 75039) has some walkability and specifically appeals to your demographic. Some lovely apartments around Lake Carolyn. It also has a nearby DART station.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:29 PM

379 posts, read 366,043 times
For $1600 you can find a nice place in downtown proper that checks all your boxes. Ignore the suburbanites that say there are no walkable neighborhoods in the city. Downtown would be your best choice but Uptown would work as well. Knox-Henderson is a stretch, that's only considered "walkable" for people who drive everywhere. There's no train and the sidewalks suck.

Las Colinas is a sterile dead zone, Plano isn't walkable, Addison isn't walkable, Grapevine isn't walkable. Lots of people on here ignore what everyone says and push their particular suburb in every. single. thread.

Old 08-03-2021, 04:00 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
For $1600 you can find a nice place in downtown proper that checks all your boxes. Ignore the suburbanites that say there are no walkable neighborhoods in the city. Downtown would be your best choice but Uptown would work as well. Knox-Henderson is a stretch, that's only considered "walkable" for people who drive everywhere. There's no train and the sidewalks suck.

Las Colinas is a sterile dead zone, Plano isn't walkable, Addison isn't walkable, Grapevine isn't walkable. Lots of people on here ignore what everyone says and push their particular suburb in every. single. thread.
Ha. I lived in the M Streets, and just sold my place there last month. I’m not pushing any burb agenda. I don’t live in Plano or Las Colinas and my recommendation for this OP stands. Not much is that walkable in DFW. Oh, downtown Fort Worth is quite nice, tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas