Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2021, 09:12 AM

19,776 posts, read 18,060,308 times

Advertisements

Adding nicely to DFW's engineering mass.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...as-fort-worth/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/b...7-f0664123a0ce

Cue up:

A. The usual Dallas haters, detractors, self-important serial critics etc. letting us know this is meaningless or trivial. Begging the question how many cos. must move for the trend not to be trivial?

B. A few of the Houston gang to reinforce A.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 12:21 PM

32 posts, read 33,369 times
I get that companies are moving to Texas for tax reasons.

Out of the entire state of Texas, why Dallas specifically? Aren't there other areas of the state where there is less traffic and congestion and where the cost of living is lower?

Old 08-18-2021, 12:32 PM

115 posts, read 63,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag King View Post

Out of the entire state of Texas, why Dallas specifically? Aren't there other areas of the state where there is less traffic and congestion and where the cost of living is lower?
Companies move to where the talent is and the talent moves to where the companies are. There is less traffic, congestion, and a lower cost of living in Tyler, but there isn't as much talent there and less people are willing to move there because there are less job opportunities.

DFW is very well connected with all the interstate highway access and the DFW and DAL airports as well, and if the high speed rail ever gets off the ground, that'll be another big win too.

If a company is moving to Texas, it'll most likely be to one of the major cities, so they are the only ones that are competing with us (within Texas). We just have to make sure to continue to build and grow in a smart way to where we can keep up with the growth and not become too much more congested or expensive than Houston or Austin.

Old 08-18-2021, 12:55 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Not surprising. There's no reason for an engineering firm taking on major projects in TX that will probably take a decade or longer to remain in California. Taxes and cost differences help.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag King View Post

In this case they mentioned engineering and other other skilled talent available locally.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatocoins View Post
Companies move to where the talent is and the talent moves to where the companies are. There is less traffic, congestion, and a lower cost of living in Tyler, but there isn't as much talent there and less people are willing to move there because there are less job opportunities.

DFW is very well connected with all the interstate highway access and the DFW and DAL airports as well, and if the high speed rail ever gets off the ground, that'll be another big win too.

If a company is moving to Texas, it'll most likely be to one of the major cities, so they are the only ones that are competing with us (within Texas). We just have to make sure to continue to build and grow in a smart way to where we can keep up with the growth and not become too much more congested or expensive than Houston or Austin.
Now that is a good post.

Old 08-18-2021, 01:38 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Adding nicely to DFW's engineering mass.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...as-fort-worth/

https://www.wfaa.com/article/money/b...7-f0664123a0ce

Cue up:

A. The usual Dallas haters, detractors, self-important serial critics etc. letting us know this is meaningless or trivial. Begging the question how many cos. must move for the trend not to be trivial?

B. A few of the Houston gang to reinforce A.
I'm a member of the Houston gang and think this is a further wake-up call to local leaders who have watched as the vast number of significant relocations happened in DFW or Austin and not here. Especially an engineering firm, for heaven sakes. Houston is an engineering town - DFW isn't really known for that (though it's not short on engineers of course).

I know DFW/DAL has better domestic flight routes, but I can't imagine the difference is THAT huge over IAH/HOU.

I realize Houston has to fight its reputation for flooding, which really ramped up over the last decade, but does it make CA firms that skittish? We have cheaper housing in Houston, and despite what ignorant folks in both the Houston and Dallas forums say, Houston's suburbs offer just as good quality of life.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I'm a member of the Houston gang and think this is a further wake-up call to local leaders who have watched as the vast number of significant relocations happened in DFW or Austin and not here. Especially an engineering firm, for heaven sakes. Houston is an engineering town - DFW isn't really known for that (though it's not short on engineers of course).

I know DFW/DAL has better domestic flight routes, but I can't imagine the difference is THAT huge over IAH/HOU.

I realize Houston has to fight its reputation for flooding, which really ramped up over the last decade, but does it make CA firms that skittish? We have cheaper housing in Houston, and despite what ignorant folks in both the Houston and Dallas forums say, Houston's suburbs offer just as good quality of life.
Yea. First Jacobs and now AECOM, both should have been perfect H-town fits IMO.

1. Jacobs' final two destination choices were A. downtown Dallas B. North Dallas (almost exactly where AECOM is located).

2. A little birdie told me AECOM's honchos wanted to be located such that worker's kids could attend solid publics or privates/live in the 'burbs or in the city and be an easy drive to DFW. The Noel location allows all that plus the company already has a large employment presence there.

3. Another little birdie showed me a working list of companies considering moves to TX cities over the next couple of years. In raw numbers of businesses Austin is the easy potential winner. In terms of name brand big companies and probably total employment gains DFW would be the likely winner. While Houston is well represented it lags on that list by a good bit. I have no idea why.

Old 08-18-2021, 02:20 PM

115 posts, read 63,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

As someone who has spent most of their life in DFW (some in Austin) and almost none in Houston, I would agree with what you're saying.

I think the two metros share a lot of the same advantages. I'm honestly not sure why more relocations aren't happening in Houston. I feel like the DFW job market is more diversified and that gives it an edge over Houston? Potentially it has better interstate access as well, but I'm not sure about that. Either way, Houston is a strong city with a lot going for it. I really don't know too much about it and have never lived there to really chime in as to what they might need to change to improve how attractive they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Now that is a good post.
Haha, I'm capable when I try a bit.

Old 08-18-2021, 03:37 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,021,493 times
Congratulations Dallas!

McKesson is the one that stings for me.

Dallas was already a Regional HQ for AECOM so the Global HQ move there makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas