Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 09:23 AM

77 posts, read 84,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpredmon View Post
Thanks for all the info and suggestions. When I looked at google maps in real time (like 8am) it was showing the commute from Villages and Uptown area to be 32 minutes. Guess that's not possible. I would hate to be spending so much time in traffic but also don't want to be isolated. I will check out Ft Worth West 7th or just figure on a longer commute. Any guesses as to how long is the rush hour drive from the Village to AA HQ would really be? No such thing as an ideal situation I guess.
Drive is probably a little faster if you use the TxPress Lane if you're willing to pay the toll on 183. You can typically fly on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 03:38 PM

5,427 posts, read 4,409,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpredmon View Post
Any guesses as to how long is the rush hour drive from the Village to AA HQ would really be?
My guess would be 40 minutes if traffic is good. There's also a major construction project on that route with the the 183/114/Spur 482 interchange under reconstruction right now for the next 1.5 years or so.

One big problem with the Dallas area is that a lot of the big companies have their HQs far away from the fun parts of the city for young adults, especially young, single adults. Examples of this are American Airlines, Frito Lay, Toyota, Dr. Pepper Snapple, Yum Brands (Pizza Hut), etc. If you are required to be on site, you either have a choice of living closer to work in a less exciting neighborhood or taking on a bad commute but living in a better part of the city for your stage of life.

Southwest Airlines, Texas Instruments, and AT&T (if Downtown) are big companies headquartered here with headquarters closer to the desirable parts of town for the 20s/30s crowd.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:50 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,977,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
"With your budget, you would be able to get a 1 bedroom in an older complex in The Village Apartments. I used to recommend The Village Apartments as an option to examine as an Uptown/Downtown alternative since it is well located and has historically attracted a 20s/30s crowd. It is important to be aware that The Village recently completed a poorly conceived, multi-year renovation project. The Village is not within walking distance of most nightlife except for their own restaurants/bars that recently opened as part of the renovation but are not likely to be successful.

Have you been to the new Meridian restaurant at the Village? Its AMAZING! Pretty hard to get into, but well worth it. Everyone I have sent there finds the food wonderful. The Village looks nothing like it did 15 years ago. There definitely seemed to be a lot of foot traffic when i was there.

I actually think the suggestion of the Village is pretty good as it has some older (cheaper) apartment complexes still, but has a hub of activity/gym/sports leagues. But it would be a drive!

As for the OP - yep, American Airlines and DFW are pretty far removed from Dallas proper. Uptown, Bishop Arts, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum are all popular areas for young (and old) people.

You might look into Ft Worth - DFW is actually a bit closer to Ft Worth. The 7th street area is quite popular with young people for nightlife.

Potentially cheaper and closer locations would be Las Colinas and Addison.[/quote]

Living in The Village right now.

I'd highly recommend the area for any young professional. They've got a brand new 32,000 sq foot gym plus huge swimming pools, a sports bar, nice restaurant, a dining hall/cafeteria...even a small 38-room "boutique" hotel.

They've got a new putting green and a golf course simulator. There's a wide range of apartments at different price points so you'll likely find something that fits your budget.

Old 08-25-2021, 10:17 AM

5,427 posts, read 4,409,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Living in The Village right now.

I'd highly recommend the area for any young professional. They've got a brand new 32,000 sq foot gym plus huge swimming pools, a sports bar, nice restaurant, a dining hall/cafeteria...even a small 38-room "boutique" hotel.

They've got a new putting green and a golf course simulator. There's a wide range of apartments at different price points so you'll likely find something that fits your budget.
The Village renovation was poorly conceived and took way longer than it needed to take. There could have been a smaller scale project costing a fraction of the price that could have been done better. Few construction projects were as miss of a miss as this one.

That new main swimming pool is smaller and less functional than the pre-renovation swimming pool.

The "boutique hotel" is a complete waste. There are plenty of hotel rooms at the Doubletree or the Hyatt House within walking distance.

The gym is poorly laid out as I mentioned earlier. The free weights and barbells are tucked into a back corner and prone to overcrowding. That didn't solve a problem from the pre-renovation era gym. The gym itself is better than the pre-renovation gym. However, why go through a massive renovation project to get a flawed end product like that?

The dining hall/cafeteria is also a complete waste. Dining halls are for college campus student unions. Students unions and airport food halls (think the main dining area at Love Field) are not superb culinary assets. In a competitive restaurant market like Dallas, there's better food outside The Village.

There was a putting green pre-renovation so a slightly bigger putting green is not an asset.

The Village is large enough to be considered a decent young professional option. The older complexes have moderately priced rent. That's the main selling point. The 21st Century complexes are priced at Uptown/Downtown/Victory Park levels and I don't think the amenities justify that.

For the OP, Uptown/Downtown options are probably better since commute times to AA HQ are about equal. Las Colinas is the best commute for him but far from the best social option.

Last edited by RJ312; 08-25-2021 at 10:26 AM..

Old 08-25-2021, 11:17 AM

762 posts, read 1,183,532 times
Your budget is a bit low for a high-amenity building in Uptown so here's another idea. When I was your age (a long time ago!) I moved to Dallas not knowing anyone and lived in a small, older building with only 8 units. No pools or fancy amenities but I actually loved the location. Although that building is gone now, there are still several small, older properties in your budget just west of 75, between Knox and Fitzhugh. The addresses are 4200-4700 blocks of Buena Vista, Travis, Cole, and McKinney. There are also some older apartments on Abbott Street (one blocker further west) that are in the town of Highland Park. Not that you need schools or anything like that, but HP does have it's own pool and tennis courts that you can use if you live on Abbott. These smaller complexes are often advertised with just yard signs so can be harder to find. The location is super walkable to many restaurants and shops in both the Knox Henderson neighborhood and the adjacent West Village. It's a slightly longer walk or very short uber to all of Uptown. 30 minute commute only on the very best days. Usually more like 40 min. Good luck.

ETA - I don't think we are allowed to post realtor websites here but I just looked and saw two units for lease in your price range at 4319 McKinney. You could look that up and see if it would be something you would consider. Nothing fancy bug IMO great location.

Last edited by JTC Mom; 08-25-2021 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas