Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM

11 posts, read 37,992 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently moved to Dallas and are looking to buy our first home. We are expecting a baby and are looking into areas with good schools. After some research I realized most DISD High schools aren't all that great (correct me if I'm wrong)....Plano ISD seems a lot better? But we are also thinking it's still a long way until our kid starts HS, so we're thinking maybe we should start looking at pre-schools and elementary schools first. We prefer living in Dallas because my husband works near downtown, the commute to Plano is a little bit far.

Any suggestions/input would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,475 times
What's your budget/type of home you are looking for?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm looking more for advice on schools rather than real estate....but we're looking at <$450,000 single family homes.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:45 PM

308 posts, read 1,232,475 times
If you are only looking at schools, then the best ones are in Highland Park and University Park.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:56 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Many of the better preschools in Dallas are in churches. You don't have to be a member. There are not a lot of for-profit preschools in Dallas. So when you start looking for preschools, check the churches.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:58 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Many of the better preschools in Dallas are in churches. You don't have to be a member. There are not a lot of for-profit preschools in Dallas. So when you start looking for preschools, check the churches.
Agreed.

Based on your price range I'd say the Lake Highlands area would be nice and GREAT schools w/ great parental involvement. Easy access to downtown and other areas around the metroplex. Most of the area is in the Richardson ISD.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
There are some good schools in DISD but they tend to be clumped in small areas. If you find a house in Dallas proper in your price range it will have a good schools. The northern surburbs do have great schools but they are by no means the only game in town.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Agreed.

Based on your price range I'd say the Lake Highlands area would be nice and GREAT schools w/ great parental involvement. Easy access to downtown and other areas around the metroplex. Most of the area is in the Richardson ISD.
what she said.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:37 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,468,083 times
Oh, you also might look up in my neck of the woods, north of Belt Line, west of Central, east of Preston, south of the Collin County line. I'm 13 miles from downtown. The better elementary schools are: Brentfield, Bowie, Prestonwood, Spring Creek, all in the city of Dallas and then Mohawk, Canyon Creek, Prairie Creek in the city of Richardson. Coit runs right down the middle of it and divides Dallas from Richardson. The high schools are JJ Pearce High and Richardson High.

Commuting on the tollway is WAY faster than commuting on Hwy 75/Central, so the Dallas side of Coit may be better for the commute. It's closer to the tollway. If you consider Canyon Creek and Prairie Creek, that would mean a Hwy 75/Central commute. I can get to downtown in 8 minutes on the tollway from Belt Line and it's 40-50 minutes on Coit to Central to Woodall Rogers.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Agreed.

What exactly is the Lake Highlands area? I'm not exactly familiar with Dallas yet....

We've been looking at the area North of NW hwy and South of 635, in between 75 and the tollway. Any good elementary schools in that area?

thanks for all the replies btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas