Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 08:44 PM

317 posts, read 227,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
DFW is already oversaturated with Neiman Marcus. Why the heck would you want another one? A better deal would be to bring in a Saks or Bloomingdales
Well we had a Barney's for a little bit, I don't remember if the Dallas store closed before the Bankruptcy, or as part of the Bankruptcy....?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Funny cause South Coast Plaza location is in the middle of a suburban landscape. That part of Costa Mesa reminds me so much of what you see in Texas. Huge mall right off the freeway next to a bunch of strip malls and national chains. You can plop that area in Houston or DFW and wouldn't even know the difference.

Now I actually went to South Coast Plaza a couple of months ago while I was in LA. SCP wasn't on our itinerary but we were visiting Family at a restaurant attached to the mall called Anqi so we decided to explore the mall a bit.

It has a very nice interior but a mall is a mall imo. It felt no different than being in the Galleria or Northpark. Honestly I think Northpark has the better art installations than SCP. Unless the mall has a theme park or something completely unique in it like malls in Vegas...the differences imo become minuscule.

And what my visit to SCP even more meh was the fact that we had already shopping districts like Rodeo drive/ Melrose/ and The Grove so when I walked into SCP it just felt like another suburban mall. It did have a less ratchet crowd than the Galleria though so there's that.
One can always appreciate minimal ratchetness

Old 11-22-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggielina View Post
I'm curious to hear more about the Galleria's redevelopment. What's going on?

An acquaintance who works adjacent to the Galleria told me that the mall management decided not to renew Belk's lease because they planned to replace it with a movie theater, but then COVID hit. Any truth to this?

I've recently spent some time at the Galleria and I've been mildly shocked at the lines to get into LV and Gucci and the clientele. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but these shoppers don't look like your stereotypical luxury shoppers. At least not the blonde trophy wives I always pictured. And they're there in daytime hours, so I can only assume they're not working a corporate 9-5 and they certainly don't dress like they are. And they're so young! It's very odd.
9-5 workers are conservative (financially) and don't buy LV, but you will be surprised of all the ways people make money nowadays in order to afford luxury labels... Dallas alone has about 5,000 youtube rappers, but you also have adult entertainers, e-sports/gamers, athletes, club promoters etc... and then there are their entourages, people they've given money to.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:47 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
Well we had a Barney's for a little bit, I don't remember if the Dallas store closed before the Bankruptcy, or as part of the Bankruptcy....?
We had Barneys twice - once in the 1990’s (left NorthPark in 1997 as part of their first bankruptcy) and again as part of the NorthPark expansion in the mid-2000’s (where Eataly & Arhaus are today). It closed for the final time in 2012 well before the final liquidation bankruptcy.

It just couldn’t compete with homegrown Neimans, forty five ten (back in their heyday) and Stanley Korshak. Sad because the store and staff were lovely and I always enjoyed shopping there.

Old 11-25-2021, 02:05 AM

197 posts, read 229,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Sounds like my husband. Even though he owns multiple companies, he insists on wearing sandals, ratty cargo shorts, and t-shirts to work. His attitude is that since he owns the company he can wear whatever he wants. He likes to stand out front and take his constant barrage of business calls. Their receptionist has a friend who works at a business that's across the parking lot. One day he asked her why they allow a homeless person to hang out outside their building. He was shocked when she told him that the "homeless man" is the owner.

I do make him dress nicer than that when we go somewhere nice.
Makes sense. I do like that you desire that he pay attention to his sartorial habits when you go somewhere nice. Fortunately many nicer places do demand proper attire, although expectations have trended more casual over the years. Given that this is a thread about retail, many luxury retailers traditionally catered towards dressier attire, and in many cases they still do; trends towards more casual attire in recent decades have definitely made an impact on the likes of luxury retailers such as Neiman Marcus (et al.), their clientele, and their competitors; some retailers did modify their collections accordingly. Many still cater to that traditional luxury "image," and those that didn't sell enough casual attire paid the price during the COVID-19 shutdowns when there were fewer chances to "see and be seen." During the depths of COVID there were simply fewer opportunities to show off fashionable attire, so consumers trended more towards the basics and/or casual attire.

That said, if I were a business owner, I would want to at least look nicer than that, at least along the lines of the office casual attire (assuming an office setting) popularized by Gen Z and some Millennials. If I made a workplace dress code for my business, I feel that I, as owner, would need to set the example for my employees and follow the dress code, regardless if I felt that I had "made it" and thought that I could dress however I wanted. Simply put, I would dress however I wanted my employees to dress (or perhaps a step above the expectation if I felt like it). But that's me.

I've always thought of Dallas as a very fashion- and image-conscious city (and not just in the high-society circles, but extending some degree down to the middle-class too), and if I were working and/or living there, I feel that I would want to look the part. That would especially hold true if I had people from the Park Cities, Preston Hollow, and other affluent neighborhoods on my client list. I'm not one to desire flaunting wealth, but I would at least want to look as if I were "in the know" to the greatest extent I could, without going to the extent of showing something like a Louis Vuitton (or other Veblen good) emblem on my bag or wallet. That said, the trends towards a more casual appearance have (somewhat) altered the manner in which the fashion- and image-conscious are expressing themselves, but showing off luxury brands (eg. LV handbags, fancy cars, etc.) still seems to be a big part of the "upper-class" image in Dallas. I mention "upper-class" in quotes because in my experience, those who are truly wealthy tend to flaunt their wealth less than those who are "climbing the ladder" so-to-speak.

That said, I live in Fort Worth, which has a reputation for being less pretentious than Dallas.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:32 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,212,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlx View Post
Makes sense. I do like that you desire that he pay attention to his sartorial habits when you go somewhere nice. Fortunately many nicer places do demand proper attire, although expectations have trended more casual over the years. Given that this is a thread about retail, many luxury retailers traditionally catered towards dressier attire, and in many cases they still do; trends towards more casual attire in recent decades have definitely made an impact on the likes of luxury retailers such as Neiman Marcus (et al.), their clientele, and their competitors; some retailers did modify their collections accordingly. Many still cater to that traditional luxury "image," and those that didn't sell enough casual attire paid the price during the COVID-19 shutdowns when there were fewer chances to "see and be seen." During the depths of COVID there were simply fewer opportunities to show off fashionable attire, so consumers trended more towards the basics and/or casual attire.

That said, if I were a business owner, I would want to at least look nicer than that, at least along the lines of the office casual attire (assuming an office setting) popularized by Gen Z and some Millennials. If I made a workplace dress code for my business, I feel that I, as owner, would need to set the example for my employees and follow the dress code, regardless if I felt that I had "made it" and thought that I could dress however I wanted. Simply put, I would dress however I wanted my employees to dress (or perhaps a step above the expectation if I felt like it). But that's me.

That said, I live in Fort Worth, which has a reputation for being less pretentious than Dallas.
He doesn't have a typical office business. While they do design and support customers onsite, they do also manufacture, test and ship onsite too. In fact, the largest part of the business location is the warehouse. The work that most of the employees do doesn't lend itself to business casual work. It's work where you could ruin your clothes. My husband was more hands-on in the warehouse and lab when the business was small and would sometimes come home with ruined clothes so he stopped wearing nice clothes then unless he had a meeting. Things have changed though and he hasn't adapted to the fact that most of his time is spent on phone calls and Zoom business meetings.

As for Dallas vs Fort Worth, I do agree that there is a big difference between the style in Fort Worth and Dallas. Dallas is more trendy and Fort Worth is more high-end Western. There is a lot of wealth in Fort Worth but many Dallasites are unable to spot it because the indicators are different, especially during events at the Stockyards and horse/livestock events at Will Rogers. For example, if you're in the Stockyards you look at a woman's cowboy boots, not her purse for an indicator of wealth. We were recently in the Stockyards for dinner and we stopped by the Lucchese shop. There was a rodeo competition at the Stockyard Colusseum. The shop was slammed with customers buying boots. That being said, the younger generations dress a lot more like the well-off younger Dallasites than they used to.

Last edited by tcualum; 11-25-2021 at 07:44 AM..

Old 11-25-2021, 06:24 PM

625 posts, read 666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeVilley View Post
9-5 workers are conservative (financially) and don't buy LV, but you will be surprised of all the ways people make money nowadays in order to afford luxury labels... Dallas alone has about 5,000 youtube rappers, but you also have adult entertainers, e-sports/gamers, athletes, club promoters etc... and then there are their entourages, people they've given money to.
I guess it depends upon the circles you run in. I find that the LV Neverfull is ubiquitous in Dallas. Almost every mom I know has one (including working moms). I don’t - because I hate how common it is, but I definitely find that Dallas is full on LVs (and not necessarily alternative income folks).

Dallas isn’t known as home to the 3OK millionaires for no reason! Of course with my bougie friends...LV isn’t as popular anymore!

Old 11-27-2021, 02:32 PM

42 posts, read 27,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texstout View Post
I guess it depends upon the circles you run in. I find that the LV Neverfull is ubiquitous in Dallas. Almost every mom I know has one (including working moms). I don’t - because I hate how common it is, but I definitely find that Dallas is full on LVs (and not necessarily alternative income folks).

Dallas isn’t known as home to the 3OK millionaires for no reason! Of course with my bougie friends...LV isn’t as popular anymore!
Ooo the neverfull. The starter luxury bag of many! If you keep your bag in good condition and sell it you may even make your money back after all the price increases. I think it will be less common now that people are working from home.

I’m surprised north park is the only indoor luxury mall. Hopefully another one is coming soon to prosper / Celina. Shopping outdoors SUCKS in the summer.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:48 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,401,147 times
Quote:
Dallas alone has about 5,000 youtube rappers, but you also have adult entertainers, e-sports/gamers, athletes, club promoters etc... and then there are their entourages, people they've given money to.

What? Dallas has multiple cities with a median household income over $100k, and another handful with a median income just under $100k. These people can afford occasional luxury purchases. 5k youtube rappers disappears into that number as noise.

The bag mentioned is also very easy to come by in knock-off form for like $50-$100, and most people cannot tell the difference without close inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas