Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 04:56 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times

Advertisements

We are in the process of updating some electrical items at our house and I was thinking about having the electrician go ahead and put in an electrical vehicle charging station. We do not yet have a electric vehicle, but I am thinking it might be cheaper to do it now than later. Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of charging station to get or should I wait because the technology could change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2021, 05:13 PM

19,795 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
We are in the process of updating some electrical items at our house and I was thinking about having the electrician go ahead and put in an electrical vehicle charging station. We do not yet have a electric vehicle, but I am thinking it might be cheaper to do it now than later. Does anyone have any recommendations on the type of charging station to get or should I wait because the technology could change?
Ask your electrician............

A. Will your current main breaker be able to handle an added 40 or 60 amp 240 VAC draw?
B. If yes to A does your panel have enough space to add the needed breaker(s)?

Move on from there.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:29 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
My neighbor in Chicago had an electrician install an outlet on his porch so he could charge his car on the street. The outlet is just a generic "clothes dryer" style outlet. Apparently you can also use a normal outlet but charging takes a lot longer.

Old 09-26-2021, 09:34 AM

92 posts, read 143,690 times
If you decide to go ahead with the project, here's some help in choosing a home wall charger:
https://www.consumerreports.org/hybr...ctric-vehicle/

The full article appeared in the December 2020 issue of Consumer Reports, page 58.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:10 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times
Thanks!

Once I get the electrical outlet figured then I will have to start shopping for an electric vehicle.

I do not drive very much so if we have one vehicle that is electric that is fine and then we will still keep one gas/diesel vehicle for road trips.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 AM

379 posts, read 366,397 times
What you want to do is have the electrician install a "NEMA 14-50" outlet, which is the standard outlet for EVs, RVs, and stoves. All cars can connect to this using their included mobile charger so if you have a visitor with an electric car you are already good to go.

If you purchased one, you'd likely want a permanent charging station. There are many available that simply plug into the NEMA 14-50 outlet.

I would have the outlet installed now but hold off on purchasing the charging station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas