Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 03:17 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
What about Farmers Branch. Seems like a pretty middle class area with a high Hispanic population. But don’t know if it’s actually is or it’s an area where a poorer Hispanic neighborhood is lumps dim with wealthier less hispanic neighborhoods.
Most of the schools in Farmers Branch are terrible. The part zoned to DISD is actually my favorite part of the city. It’s kind of making a come back but WT White is a pretty lousy high school and hasn’t had a good reputation in decades. The good elementary schools in the WT White feeder pattern are in Dallas and that area is fairly expensive and probably mostly white but there are a lot of Hispanics in the general area.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:44 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Most of the schools in Farmers Branch are terrible. The part zoned to DISD is actually my favorite part of the city. It’s kind of making a come back but WT White is a pretty lousy high school and hasn’t had a good reputation in decades. The good elementary schools in the WT White feeder pattern are in Dallas and that area is fairly expensive and probably mostly white but there are a lot of Hispanics in the general area.
OP didn't question anything about schools, just middle class hispanic neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 06:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
OP didn't question anything about schools, just middle class hispanic neighborhoods.
That’s correct but they said they’re coming with family so I assumed it would probably be important information to provide. Plus schools are a big part of property values here and have a big impact on the future of a neighborhood. They also wanted to be in an area with a large middle class. A majority of the kids attending the schools around Farmers Branch are identified as low income. I actually think Farmers Branch is a good suburb and I think it has a bright future but the school situation is still bad.

The 2 best options, if schools are important that come to mind are Plano East High School attendance zone and Birdville High School. Both schools are over 30% Hispanic, both are in solidly middle class areas, and both perform well academically.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:23 AM

73 posts, read 44,877 times
Middle class:

Lewisville
The Colony
South Richardson
Central Carrollton
East Allen

Other:
East Plano
East McKinney
Garland
Grand Prairie
Arlington
Oak Cliff
Mesquite
Farmers Branch
South Carrollton
South Irving
NW Dallas
Old East Dallas
SE Dallas
Seagoville
Balch Springs

Old 01-13-2022, 08:28 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
It also depends on the type of Hispanic.

DFW and Houston's Hispanic communities are about 40% foreign born. San Antonio's is closer to 10%. If you want an Americanized Hispanic community, San Antonio is best.

DFW's Hispanic community is very heavily Mexican with a large Salvadoran population as well. Houston's is much more diverse with more countries represented.

Within DFW, a place like Carrollton, Lewisville, Plano, Irving, or Richardson will have lots to choose from.
Really good point about San Antonio vs. DFW.

I work with a number of Latinos and there's definitely a split between North and South TX. The Latinos from further south (SA, Austin etc.) were multigenerational Americans and didn't have any obvious ties to Mexico. They may speak some Spanish but not at the level of a native or even close. In Dallas, the Latinos I know are much more likely to be fluent in both English and Spanish and usually have close relatives from Mexico and some still living there.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:27 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Middle class and upper-middle-class Hispanics live all over in middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods in DFW.

There are Mexican groceries all over the area, I believe the two big chains are Fiesta (general food store) and La Michoacana (more of a carniceria and specialty store). Just search on the net and you'll find one near you.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:35 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
Zip code 75061 has a high concentration of Latinx. (82% of the population). There are some really lovely sections of large well-kept neighborhoods and then there are some pretty distressed areas, too.

https://www.zipdatamaps.com/75061

Last edited by WorldKlas; 01-13-2022 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: Add link

Old 01-13-2022, 05:00 PM

537 posts, read 450,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Middle class and upper-middle-class Hispanics live all over in middle class and upper middle class neighborhoods in DFW.

There are Mexican groceries all over the area, I believe the two big chains are Fiesta (general food store) and La Michoacana (more of a carniceria and specialty store). Just search on the net and you'll find one near you.
I have no idea if the original poster is religious or not. To me if I was wanting to look at more "Hispanic" areas I would google search the Roman Catholic churches in the area and see which ones have a Spanish mass or if they have multiple Spanish masses over a weekend then that will tell you something. My Anglican church in Plano has Hispanic families, but we do not have a Spanish service. I would just think looking at that will tell you about the area and it could just tell you that those people prefer a Spanish mass. If a church doesn't have a Spanish mass the the area at minimum has a population of parishners that are more bi-lingual leaning or don't speak Spanish at all. Texas has had a large Hispanic population for a long time and I have know many people who are Hispanic (like ones in my family) who do not speak any Spanish. They also prefer the term Latino, because they feel like Hispanic is more of a term used by politicians in Washington, DC.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:25 PM

511 posts, read 400,124 times
I don't think you'll be able to find as many upper-middle-class Hispanic neighborhoods as you would in Florida for one reason -- FL has a large population percentage of Puerto Rican and Cuban Americans who are better-off financially and tend to better assimilate to the American culture compared to the Mexican--Americans, who largely make up the percentage of Latino population in Texas. I'm not saying the Tejanos are poor here, but many of them don't have the same English proficiency as the Caribbean-descent even though a large number of them were born and raised in the US. I see lots of successful and wealthy Mexican nationals in the Houston and SA, though -- occasionally in their Mexican-plated luxury cars. The same can be said for other immigrants as well as Caribbean-descent, but FL wins in the number of upper-middle-class Hispanic neighborhoods versus Texas. But there's no shortage of nice Hispanic neighborhoods in Texas. I also find the multi-generational Tejanos and Texas-born Latinos to be very friendly and welcoming than other Hispanics.

Old 01-13-2022, 06:59 PM

516 posts, read 450,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
In case OP is in fact looking at school districts, I want to argue that this statement is false. Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD is a solid “B” district. It actually had the exact same scoring as McKinney ISD the last time the TEA gave out letter grades to districts. No, you can’t compare it to the top school districts in the area, but it’s not terrible either. Also, I will argue that if you have kids who are involved in AP and Pre-AP classes, they will get a good education at W. T. White. There are also various magnet schools in DISD if they wanted to try to go that route. CFBISD and W. T. White cannot be compared to the top schools and districts in the area. However, it does get tiring when people make statements claiming they’re terrible. That is simply just not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas