Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 9,570 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to frisco. My 9th grade daughter plays varsity soccer in her current school.

1. I know football is big in Dallas, but we would like to find a high school with great girl soccer coach and the team be decent. By being decent, I meant not losing all the time, and probably a strong competitor in area high school soccer. (We choose not to go to other big schools because we want to make sure she get in HS team to play. Otherwise it will be devastating for her mentally.)

2. Also When is the regular HS soccer season? Here in north east , the HS soccer season is mid August to mid November. Dallas school might be different since August is too hot for outdoor activities? I assume students will practice with local clubs when HS soccer is not in season, anyone could recommend a local soccer club?

3. She also does competitive math, any school has great math teachers and strong math club that regularly attending AMC /AIME/ math contests? She is eager to find other students who have the same interest.

Thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 09:31 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
You’ve started threads asking about Fort Worth, Plano, McKinney, and now Frisco area schools.

My advice: figure out where you’re moving, and then ask about schools.

I’d also look up area select leagues which feed from all over and are very competitive.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:02 PM

Yes, it is a learning curve.

We were originally thinking about Fort worth because it is more affordable and country style. Then after an in person visit, we are more attracted to the convenience of Plano for its central location , diversity and variety of eatery. And both of us will have a higher chance to land a job in Plano area instead of Fort worth. And Dallas is huge, commute from Fort worth to Plano will be much more than we have imagined.

But after monitoring the market for a few weeks, it seems hard to get an updated house in Plano , so we now leaning towards get an establish house in Frisco (bidding for new house there is crazy, and take forever, so we prefer to buy an existing one), and have spotted a few in different areas of Frisco within our price range. Then it comes down which school district we want to land on.

I think it is normal for people who never lived in Dallas area to learn and figure out what better fit their need.

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:09 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivititi76 View Post
We are looking at moving to frisco. My 9th grade daughter plays varsity soccer in her current school.

1. I know football is big in Dallas, but we would like to find a high school with great girl soccer coach and the team be decent. By being decent, I meant not losing all the time, and probably a strong competitor in area high school soccer. (We choose not to go to other big schools because we want to make sure she get in HS team to play. Otherwise it will be devastating for her mentally.)

2. Also When is the regular HS soccer season? Here in north east , the HS soccer season is mid August to mid November. Dallas school might be different since August is too hot for outdoor activities? I assume students will practice with local clubs when HS soccer is not in season, anyone could recommend a local soccer club?

3. She also does competitive math, any school has great math teachers and strong math club that regularly attending AMC /AIME/ math contests? She is eager to find other students who have the same interest.

Thank you all

High School soccer season here is Jan-Apr.

Old 12-10-2021, 08:08 AM

1,085 posts, read 692,951 times
Quote:

Thank you all
1. Most of the Frisco schools are decent in soccer, and fairly well balanced across the District. It's a "small" school model so it should be relatively easy for your child to make a team.

2. Practices have started, season is Jan-Apr/May depending on how far they advance in Disttict/Sate playoffs. Local club is basically year round, and Frisco has a pretty dang solid program for all ages and skill levels.

3. Almost all Frisco schools will have really competitive math programs. Some will be far more competitive than the athletics programs.

What parts of Frisco are matching your housing/budget? There can be some mid-six-digit swings between neighborhoods.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:17 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,443,155 times
Quote:

Thank you all
For soccer, the high school team is not the important piece of the puzzle. Here, it's all about club soccer. That's where all the colleges recruit from, not the high school teams. Plenty of soccer clubs here for girls; SOLAR, FC Dallas just to name a few. So find where you want to live and then look up the clubs that are convenient to drive to for practices and games.

Old 12-10-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
For soccer, the high school team is not the important piece of the puzzle. Here, it's all about club soccer. That's where all the colleges recruit from, not the high school teams. Plenty of soccer clubs here for girls; SOLAR, FC Dallas just to name a few. So find where you want to live and then look up the clubs that are convenient to drive to for practices and games.
Bolded is the big part. It's going to boil down to which houses/areas matched your eye and budget when you were driving around. I wouldn't totally rule out Plano either, although the HS team competition is going to be a tougher (bigger school concept) and potential transportation to club events can be a pain.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
High School soccer season here is Jan-Apr.
Thank you!

When does the high school usually hold their try out? If we move in the summer, will we miss the try out time?

Old 12-10-2021, 03:32 PM

We are looking at price range 60s-70s, preferably with a small bed room and full bathroom on the first floor since my mother is currently living with us. Master bedroom could be on 1st or 2nd floor, it does not matter.

It seems that only area on the west border (west of Teel parkway) or east border near Mckinney occasionally has such houses in the price range.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
We are looking at price range 60s-70s, preferably with a small bed room and full bathroom on the first floor since my mother is currently living with us. Master bedroom could be on 1st or 2nd floor, it does not matter.

It seems that only area on the west border (west of Teel parkway) or east border near Mckinney occasionally has such houses in the price range.
Yeah, There is also a ton of new construction coming in on the West side too (Lone Star, usually middle of the pack soccer, very high on Math)

I'd look for Wakeland HS attendance area. Maybe Centennial too. Any one of those three will give you what you need. Wakeland is traditionally a bit stronger in soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas