Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 10:31 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times

Advertisements

Anna & Melissa are less expensive bedroom communities to the northeast of Plano/Frisco. Or Little Elm & smaller towns around Denton to the northwest.

If you want to be closer in to Dallas, parts of Carrollton, Lewisville, & The Colony would be convenient to Plano/Frisco and also closer to both airports.

Fort Worth can be an hour or two to Plano/Frisco depending on traffic (time of day, how many wrecks, etc). It’s definitely less expensive to live on the FW side of the metroplex. And FW is a fantastic small city with less density / traffic / slower pace than Dallas. I would say consider it if you plan to see your Plano/Frisco relatives once a month or less frequently, but scratch it from your list if you plan to see them weekly / regularly.

Definitely DO NOT stretch your housing budget. With continued rising home values in DFW as well as high insurance costs, you can count on your property taxes & insurance bills to increase steadily each year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 10:35 AM

631 posts, read 885,109 times
Looking at the current listings for the Colony on Zillow, I only see one house that's 4/3 and under $450,000, and it needs some major updates. You can probably find one that's just a little over $450 if you don't wait too long, but if $450 is a firm ceiling it may be challenging.

Edit: Also, where in Plano are your relatives? There are 4/3 houses in East and Central Plano that are within your budget. A lot of them are older by North Texas standards, but several look (online at least) to have been fully updated. I'd at least take a look if you really want to live in Plano.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:19 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,113,379 times
Central Plano would be my recommendation.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:49 PM

16 posts, read 20,675 times
Thanks so much guys. This forum is such a big help.
So there are some nice houses in Plano but lot of them are built in 60s, 70s and 80s. We don’t know a lot about old houses- and my husband is definitely not good at fixing things around the house. Our current home is built in the nineties and some of our friends consider it old. So I am a little bit concerned about buying a 40-50 year old house as we don’t want to spend a big amount in fixing any problems that might arise later on.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:55 PM

1,085 posts, read 692,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalady1 View Post
So there are some nice houses in Plano but lot of them are built in 60s, 70s and 80s. We don’t know a lot about old houses- and my husband is definitely not good at fixing things around the house. Our current home is built in the nineties and some of our friends consider it old. So I am a little bit concerned about buying a 40-50 year old house as we don’t want to spend a big amount in fixing any problems that might arise later on.
Most of those houses have been completely redone and the stuff that would have failed in the first 20-30 years has been replaced.

Here’s an example of what we’re talking about.

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Plano/2809...gn=share_sheet

Also. Watch inventory spike up around 2/1

Old 12-15-2021, 09:22 AM

427 posts, read 494,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinalady1 View Post
If you haven't considered so far, look at Allen. It is relatively central to all of Collin County.
Has 2 zip codes mainly, West Allen (west of highway 75) 75013 which is expensive, but central to Collin County, borders Plano, Frisco, Mckinney. Then East Allen (east of hw 75 - 75002), somewhat older, still nice with beautiful parks, recreation centers, tons of shopping around - and still very close to Plano, Frisco, McKinney and also Richardson.

A quick search on realtor with criteria, there are only 4 are available with all others pending status.

All of Allen is very safe. So, if you haven't considered already, take a look, tour and if you like the area, amenities, parks/shopping etc, keep looking for a home u like

Last edited by DFWUser1; 12-15-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 09:40 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
You can very easily find something in west McKinney close to everything you need. Prices here are substantially lower. In my neighborhood in Stonebridge, you could easily get a fully remodeled home meeting those criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas