Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2022, 05:45 PM

427 posts, read 494,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My son works for Apple and lived in San Francisco. When Covid hit they said he could "work from home". He said great my home is now in TX. He actually joined the Apple Group in Austin also. He sold his $850k home there for $1.6 million and brought all that cash to TXto buy a home.

People (and companies) are just migrating out of the Blue States by the thousands for greener pastures. NY, CA, IL all have lost a lot of population. DFW and TX is just one of he top spots they are moving.

The demand for housing is just exceeding the supply in the area for now.
That's the point, if all people from CA etc. are moving, who is paying $1.6 mil for a $800k house? And houses listed for $1m+ are going $200k, $300k or more above asking in some of those areas. If people and companies are migrating, who is buying there with those exorbitant prices?

Also, hope you know it's not just DFW or TX, every major market is having same situation all across the country. Phoenix, NC, GA, Seattle, Boston, many places in FL, etc. etc. Never seen something like this in the past 25 years even during boom period before recession

Last edited by DFWUser1; 01-08-2022 at 05:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 06:28 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
That's the point, if all people from CA etc. are moving, who is paying $1.6 mil for a $800k house? And houses listed for $1m+ are going $200k, $300k or more above asking in some of those areas. If people and companies are migrating, who is buying there with those exorbitant prices?

Also, hope you know it's not just DFW or TX, every major market is having same situation all across the country. Phoenix, NC, GA, Seattle, Boston, many places in FL, etc. etc. Never seen something like this in the past 25 years even during boom period before recession
People ar Bailing out of states I mentioned plus other. All I can do is discuss TX maybe Florida and a few other desirables.

Just today....

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...n-lease-report

Facebook parent company Meta signs 'largest ever' lease in downtown Austin

Old 01-08-2022, 07:22 PM

537 posts, read 450,269 times
Tennessee is also seeing the same crazy increases in home values that we are here in Texas.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:10 PM

42 posts, read 27,829 times
As someone who moved here for cheaper homes. It’s still cheap. No state income tax more than covers the high property taxes.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,086,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post

Yes, this is part of why the data doesn't really support a "mass exodus," among several other things. That doesn't add up.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffypoms View Post
As someone who moved here for cheaper homes. It’s still cheap. No state income tax more than covers the high property taxes.
That may be true for extremely high incomes, but it's not true for most people. Texas is also not the only state without an income tax.

In any event, if it was just in the last year or so for no other reason, it's panic shopping, and that would pretty much prove my best guess.

I honestly wonder if people are just mindlessly, randomly picking places on a list of cheaper areas without any thought at all (maybe a couple of statistical numbers). Given some of the lousy neighborhoods and cities just around here that have gone up in value the most, it would seem so. How else on earth have Fate, Melissa, and Celina come to make among the state's wealthiest ten or so cities?

Last edited by Leonard123; 01-08-2022 at 09:46 PM..

Old 01-09-2022, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
That may be true for extremely high incomes, but it's not true for most people. Texas is also not the only state without an income tax.

In any event, if it was just in the last year or so for no other reason, it's panic shopping, and that would pretty much prove my best guess.

I honestly wonder if people are just mindlessly, randomly picking places on a list of cheaper areas without any thought at all (maybe a couple of statistical numbers). Given some of the lousy neighborhoods and cities just around here that have gone up in value the most, it would seem so. How else on earth have Fate, Melissa, and Celina come to make among the state's wealthiest ten or so cities?
Many people moved last year because of the low interest rates and the option to work remote. Most people are saving more money after moving to Texas. Its more of a logical choice than panic shopping.

Both Melissa and Celina are developing, people that have moved there see it as a potential investment. Lots new jobs around the corner with the large corportations moving here.

Yes there are other states without income tax but for many of us DFW is a no brainer with the ammenies, schools, weather, jobs, etc. Seattle is also nice but more expensive, earthquakes and colder. Florida has hurricanes. Las Vegas is in a desert, weather sucks unless you live in Summerlin which is not cheaper and also the job market sucks for professionals (its mostly entrepreneurs / self employed that are high earners there). DFW have tornados but if I had to choose that or hurricanes/earthquakes i'll stick to the tornados.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:42 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
As someone who moved here for cheaper homes. It’s still cheap.
Yes, for YOU!!!!!

Old 01-09-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio July View Post
Yes, for YOU!!!!!
Yes, it's a cheaper alternative compared to their current situation for loads of other people in the United States. That's why I don't see the price going down long term.

Old 01-09-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Many people moved last year because of the low interest rates and the option to work remote. Most people are saving more money after moving to Texas. Its more of a logical choice than panic shopping.

Both Melissa and Celina are developing, people that have moved there see it as a potential investment. Lots new jobs around the corner with the large corportations moving here.

Yes there are other states without income tax but for many of us DFW is a no brainer with the ammenies, schools, weather, jobs, etc. Seattle is also nice but more expensive, earthquakes and colder. Florida has hurricanes. Las Vegas is in a desert, weather sucks unless you live in Summerlin which is not cheaper and also the job market sucks for professionals (its mostly entrepreneurs / self employed that are high earners there). DFW have tornados but if I had to choose that or hurricanes/earthquakes i'll stick to the tornados.
First off, there was nothing forcing those people to stay in those expensive areas in the first place. They could have easily found jobs with remote work or in north Texas or less expensive markets long before the pandemic.

Whether most people "saved money" is beside the point. Texas property taxes are higher than combined property and income taxes for many other states including California for most people's income levels and home values. The total tax burden likely falls somewhere in the middle for the nation as a whole.

There was an article last year that most people moving from the Bay Area in 2020 moved within California, and most of the rest went to Seattle. Texas ranked third, but Houston and Austin were their choices. For as long as I can remember, the main reason people did not move to Texas was the weather. I don't believe people moving to Texas move for the weather. I think it's too cold and cloudy myself, even if most of the rest of the country is worse.

It's panic shopping because it was done with such haste and urgency in response to the virus under the assumption they would now be working from home. The metro area is too large to know where to make such a commitment as a home purchase without any familiarity.

It makes no sense for people to move near jobs and corporations if their motive for moving was that they were able to work from home. Those with high enough incomes will never need to be those centers or any large metro area. That explanation is one I hear constantly, and it only begs the question.

Melissa and Celina and Fate are much farther away from and certainly equidistant to jobs, corporations, and many other amenities than equally or less expensive and more attractive housing options. They have none of the benefits of country living either and for the most part are quite ugly. The only thing being developed out there is more houses, and the land area, geography, economy, and infrastructure will limit there from being much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas