Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 09:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,999,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75214Dad View Post
Lewisville ISD, specifically Flower Mound, is much stronger than Frisco ISD. It just doesn’t have as many Asians. If you look at each demographic group individually, Lewisville ISD is much better.
If I'm not mistaken, white kids in DISD outperform white kids in most other school districts outside of maybe HP.

There was a post on here that addressed this in the Dallas forum not too long ago. The OP in that thread pointed out how different the numbers look when you compare "apples to apples" across the different demographics. Basically people shouldn't look at a district as a whole but instead look at the demographic their kid fits into and then compare how kids in THAT demo perform across each district. Like if I'm black & middle-middle or upper-middle class, it might be more useful to see how that group performs in Frisco vs. Plano vs. Lewisville instead of looking at the districts as a whole since demographics can vary quite a bit. Perhaps Asian kids perform better in Frisco, Latinos better off in Plano and whites in DISD (just as an example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 11:21 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,495,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGuy422 View Post
Less convenient to Dallas and certainly less convenient to Plano, where a ton of jobs are concentrated now
26 minutes to downtown Dallas and 28 minutes to downtown Plano. I get to my old neighborhood in Preston Hollow in 20 minutes. Coppell is very convenient driving wise, there just aren't many homes for sale. We were very lucky to buy a house in Coppell two and a half years ago, paid cash and managed to avoid a bidding war.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:19 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, white kids in DISD outperform white kids in most other school districts outside of maybe HP.

There was a post on here that addressed this in the Dallas forum not too long ago. The OP in that thread pointed out how different the numbers look when you compare "apples to apples" across the different demographics. Basically people shouldn't look at a district as a whole but instead look at the demographic their kid fits into and then compare how kids in THAT demo perform across each district. Like if I'm black & middle-middle or upper-middle class, it might be more useful to see how that group performs in Frisco vs. Plano vs. Lewisville instead of looking at the districts as a whole since demographics can vary quite a bit. Perhaps Asian kids perform better in Frisco, Latinos better off in Plano and whites in DISD (just as an example).
It was probably my post you are referring to. Just to clarify, it is moreso Woodrow specifically where the performance of White Students is in-line with most of the well regarded suburban schools. Of course the DISD magnets as well. That is less true of other campuses in DISD, but those are small numbers generally.

Not to de-rail the thread, but just as an example (White Students Only):

Frisco:

% College-Ready - 75%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 88.7%
Average SAT Score - 1177
Average ACT Score - 25.3

Woodrow:

% College-Ready - 88.2%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 100%
Average SAT Score - 1187
Average ACT Score - 26.2

I just used this one example, but you could do the same thing with any number of schools. The most glaring example is actually the Richardson schools (RHS, JJP, and LH). Socioeconomic diverse student body that may not look impressive from an overall metrics standpoint compared to something like Frisco, but you would see that equivalent demographic groups perform very well in the RISD schools.

Old 02-15-2022, 09:12 AM

139 posts, read 113,357 times
Backlash Grows as Real Estate Giants Increase SFR Market Share

http://go.pardot.com/e/850243/nts-in...nwp-0HzI8R6gW8

Institutional real estate investors keep buying up the single-family rental (SFR)
market, raising rents and cutting services to increase rental ROI. Congress is paying attention, and they aren’t too pleased. Institutional investors and private equity firms are increasingly blamed for the high-demand, low-inventory US housing market crisis.

Too much profit? Last week, Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH), chairman of the US Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs, blamed institutional investors and private equity firms for cynically exploiting a “captive” housing market to increase the profit of large stakes they are acquiring in
single-family rentals.

From the horse’s mouth: “Private equity firms, corporate landlords, and investors saw a shortage, and they saw a captive market. They see these [single-family houses] as nothing more than annual return on equity,” Brown said in an opening statement at a committee hearing Thursday entitled
“How Institutional Landlords are Changing the Housing Market.”

Market
manipulation: According to the Hunter Housing Economics consulting firm, investors disbursed $30 billion in debt and equity into the build-to-rent sector in 2021, with nearly 100,000 build-to-rent homes starting construction last year. As a result, investors have been rewarded with the best ROI of all property sectors, with risk-adjusted annual yields of more than 8%, the highest of 18 property sectors tracked by Green
Street.

Last edited by Lorne; 02-15-2022 at 09:23 AM..

Old 02-21-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
It was probably my post you are referring to. Just to clarify, it is moreso Woodrow specifically where the performance of White Students is in-line with most of the well regarded suburban schools. Of course the DISD magnets as well. That is less true of other campuses in DISD, but those are small numbers generally.

Frisco:

% College-Ready - 75%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 88.7%
Average SAT Score - 1177
Average ACT Score - 25.3

Woodrow:

% College-Ready - 88.2%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 100%
Average SAT Score - 1187
Average ACT Score - 26.2

I just used this one example, but you could do the same thing with any number of schools. The most glaring example is actually the Richardson schools (RHS, JJP, and LH). Socioeconomic diverse student body that may not look impressive from an overall metrics standpoint compared to something like Frisco, but you would see that equivalent demographic groups perform very well in the RISD schools.
Graduated from an RISD school and can concur. I went to school with people convicted of murder, drug dealers, gang members and future software engineers, lawyers and doctors. People that were born into similar economic circumstances ended up with wildly varying outcomes. I appreciated the diversity as a POC because I never felt like a token yet I also never developed the discomfort that some POC's can feel when they come from completely POC-dominated environments and enter a mostly-white environment. School prepared me for just about anything. It was like the worst of an overcrowded urban high school mixed with the best of an affluent suburban high school all under one roof.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:30 PM

565 posts, read 558,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post

Frisco:

% College-Ready - 75%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 88.7%
Average SAT Score - 1177
Average ACT Score - 25.3

Woodrow:

% College-Ready - 88.2%

% Taking ACT/SAT- 100%
Average SAT Score - 1187
Average ACT Score - 26.2

Good point. RISD schools and Woodrow are good examples. The below average student body won't be quite as good as the newer Northern Collin county schools but the top 30-40% or so will be about the same if not actually slightly better.

I remember someone was complaining that they didn't want to go to either Richardson or Pearce because there was too many economically disadvantage kids. Kind of a dumb reason because reality is if you kids aren't taking classes such as remedial math, ESL, or blow off electives then you'll literally have zero interaction with the bottom 30% at those schools so why would you even care ?

Old 02-23-2022, 03:37 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,936,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
Good point. RISD schools and Woodrow are good examples. The below average student body won't be quite as good as the newer Northern Collin county schools but the top 30-40% or so will be about the same if not actually slightly better.

I remember someone was complaining that they didn't want to go to either Richardson or Pearce because there was too many economically disadvantage kids. Kind of a dumb reason because reality is if you kids aren't taking classes such as remedial math, ESL, or blow off electives then you'll literally have zero interaction with the bottom 30% at those schools so why would you even care ?
Look, a dominant theme among parents with college degrees and white-collar jobs is that most any amount of kids from working class backgrounds and households without college-degreed parents present a terrible risk to the academic progress and social well-being of their precious progeny. They want their kids to be at the bottom of the economic profile of the school, not in the middle or top.

I don't get where this comes from, but it seems very pervasive, and parents make house purchase choices based on this strange belief.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Look, a dominant theme among parents with college degrees and white-collar jobs is that most any amount of kids from working class backgrounds and households without college-degreed parents present a terrible risk to the academic progress and social well-being of their precious progeny. They want their kids to be at the bottom of the economic profile of the school, not in the middle or top.

I don't get where this comes from, but it seems very pervasive, and parents make house purchase choices based on this strange belief.
Great points.

It's also ironic because those same parents will complain if their kids end up in a school that's mostly East Asian or Indian and the kids have zero shot at the Top 5%, Top 7% etc., and no auto admit to UT Austin. Kids benefit by being around different kinds of people.

Old 02-23-2022, 05:07 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,083,698 times
No one ever says exactly what he or she means when looking for "good schools." "Good" by whose measure?

The bar has been set quite low. In my opinion, a good school would be one that didn't shove politics down kids' (and parents') throats. It seems many people looking for "good schools" probably do want just that given an emphasis on going to college, something that people push way too much on kids these days. It's sad to see.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:39 PM

1,079 posts, read 1,111,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

That seems to make up about 1/3 of the topics on this board for sure. I understand it, but it amazes me how some will use “good schools” as a significant criteria for one of the largest financial decisions in their life (purchasing a home) without any real effort to define what is meant by “good schools”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas