Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2022, 05:59 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,081,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysan89 View Post
Sad but true. I've moved out of DFW a couple of months ago due to the high housing costs and relocated to a nearby state where it is more affordable for the middle class.
Where did you move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2022, 06:22 PM

405 posts, read 340,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
Where did you move?
I relocated to Kansas. It is getting more expensive here too but at least it is still more affordable than DFW and many other places.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:53 AM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I relocated to Kansas. It is getting more expensive here too but at least it is still more affordable than DFW and many other places.
Did it work out for you?
We just figured out that our annual fixed costs including insurance and medical for a house 500 sqf smaller but material wise better from geo pump to windows, garage a/c and heat, .... costs less than the real estate taxes of our Haslet, TX home now.

Old 01-02-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Did it work out for you?
We just figured out that our annual fixed costs including insurance and medical for a house 500 sqf smaller but material wise better from geo pump to windows, garage a/c and heat, .... costs less than the real estate taxes of our Haslet, TX home now.
It worked out well for me. The guy who installed my internet told me that a lot of people are moving here from CA, CO and TX.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:54 PM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Quote:
We moved back to Dallas/Forth Worth from Wichita one year ago. The best thing I can say about Kansas is that housing is way cheaper there. That is also the only good thing I can say about Kansas.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
We moved back to Dallas/Forth Worth from Wichita one year ago. The best thing I can say about Kansas is that housing is way cheaper there. That is also the only good thing I can say about Kansas.

That is true. I am residing in the Wichita area and I like how it is not only more affordable but also much less overpopulated and how it is more quiet. I wish the Kansas City metro area was closer since it is nice to travel someplace exciting where there are more great restaurants, shopping, etc.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:30 PM

537 posts, read 449,218 times
Quote:
That is true. I am residing in the Wichita area and I like how it is not only more affordable but also much less overpopulated and how it is more quiet. I wish the Kansas City metro area was closer since it is nice to travel someplace exciting where there are more great restaurants, shopping, etc.
My house in the Maize school district was a fine home. We did have great neighbors too! Wichita traffic is nothing compared to D/FW and is certainly more laid back. The reason I can't say anything good is because of the way the Governor of Kansas, Laura Kelly, treated the citizens of Kansas during the pandemic. She hates working class families. That experience made us put our house for sale and move back to Texas. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
My house in the Maize school district was a fine home. We did have great neighbors too! Wichita traffic is nothing compared to D/FW and is certainly more laid back. The reason I can't say anything good is because of the way the Governor of Kansas, Laura Kelly, treated the citizens of Kansas during the pandemic. She hates working class families. That experience made us put our house for sale and move back to Texas. Good luck!
I am sorry to hear that. What did she do that gave that impression that she hates working class families?

Old 01-02-2022, 07:57 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
Well what I find interesting is that Frisco which I think is the most wealthiest DFW or one of suburb has median income of 130K to 150K depending where you look.

If 100K income buys you barebones home that probably needs countless thousands investment into structural integrity in not so fancy area. Yet the wealthiest area in DFW or one of - has median income of just 150K. Its not like there are that many low income apartments in Frisco to dilute that number much either.

Which brings me to the question, how are people affording these homes all around DFW metro? The whole transplant argument does not hold weight much simply because DFW metro is 4th largest in US and Texas is 2nd largest by population. Californians can't simply alone overwhelm real estate in such heavily populated area.

Lets not forget that to live in DFW Metro you must have car, and those are not cheap at all - they never were and now they are extra expensive. One car per working adult eats up that income real fast.
A lot of people receive "cash infusions" from parents, grandparents etc. They make a decent salary that allows them to afford their mortgage but Granny floated them high 5-figs for the downpayment. This is common with many Millenials but most won't mention where that money came from.

My wife and I both grew up poor (Skillman/Audelia, free lunch poor). We're doing OK for ourselves but we see peers driving similar if not better cars, buying houses etc., while making comparable money to us. Some might make a little more, but it doesn't explain the types of houses they can afford. Both of us want to own but neither of us wants to forego saving/investing, and literally scraping by the skin of our teeth just to barely afford a "meh" house.

Old 01-02-2022, 08:39 PM

1,085 posts, read 691,398 times
Quote:
I am sorry to hear that. What did she do that gave that impression that she hates working class families?
She didn’t Trump up enough for the uneducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas